Calorie Increase Advice...

Options
A few weeks ago, I increased my calories to 1400 and I'm supposed to increase again to 1600. Trying to work my way up to 1700-1800/day... but I'm scared to increase bc I haven't been able to get into a workout routine. If I increase and I'm not able to stick to my workouts, that would be bad! ( I assume) I'm trying to find a steady routine to get into. I had been working out in the evenings (Shaun T's Rockin' Body) but I find that this keeps me awake at night. It looks like I might have to start with 5am workouts which would have to be quick, and quiet since my son will be sleeping and I don't want to wake him. Any advice on a strength training routine I can do quietly and quickly? I would have 20-30 minutes to get it done. For the record, when I had increased to 1400 and did Rockin' Body 3x/wk and walked one day, I lost 3 lbs that week! I haven't been able to keep this up bc as I said before, it kept me awake at night and 2 of the workouts in this set are 45 minutes long. I'm a single mother and I don't have a lot of extra time on my hands. A quick, effective, strength training workout would be awesome!!!

Another issue I'm having is when I increase, I tend to chose things that aren't as healthy bc it fits in my calorie goals, or not plan ahead and just grab whatever is on hand when I get hungry. (processed snacks usually) I try to keep produce on hand, but it doesn't stay fresh for long when I'm the only one who eats it. I could go to the store several times/wk since there's a Kroger accross from my work; but again, who has time for that?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat: single mom, no time, need to increase cals. I will be watching this thread to see what crops up. you can add me as a friend for support if you want.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat: single mom, no time, need to increase cals. I will be watching this thread to see what crops up. you can add me as a friend for support if you want.

Friend Requst Sent!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    Anyone?
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    Well Sue, I guess we're on our own here
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'd eat an extra avocado. :D Or some homemade granola. I could live off this stuff but I can't increase my calories yet.
  • Findleyn
    Findleyn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband is currently deployed, so I am basically a single mom (16 years old and a 10 year old), so let me tell you what I do and I hope that some of it helps!

First...I am not consistent with tracking my food...but am getting better. I have been doing research/reading books on "how" to eat---eating for life by Bill Phillips and the Biggest Loser 6 weeks to a healthier you are the most recent reads. This information has helped me learn to make better choices when deciding what to eat...do I still have the "easy" stuff (a frozen meal for lunch, mac and cheese with chicken nuggets, etc...), absolutely; do I still eat sweets/salty stuff , you bet...baked chips, mini snickers (one or two, enough to satisfy without killing calories)...I just make sure it fits into my calorie total. Some days I go over in fat, under in protein, etc....but I don't let it bother me and keep going. I eat more often throughout the day...this helps keep me full and keeps my metabolism up. Some of my go to snacks include almonds, fruit, carrots w/fat free dip, granola bars, and protein bars. Adding in the snacks in addition to keeping me full and my metabolism up helps with the increase in calories.

Now for working out....I try to workout in some form or fashion everyday. I find it best to work out right when I get home, otherwise I will find some excuse not to work out. I am not a morning person so getting up early doesn't work for me and then working out too late keeps me up sometimes (depending on the workout). My 10 year old and I do Tae Kwon Do together 2x a week---guaranteed workout for me, keeps her active. Other days it depends on my mood...might be one of the many workout DVDs or simply walking on the treadmill. As far as strength training, Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is a good workout. I just restarted it. It is a 30 minute workout that combines 3 minute strength, 2 minute cardio, and 1 minute abs...3 circuits. The strength moves combine large muscle and small muscle for a bigger burn. I used 5 pound weights and I guarantee that I will feel it tomorrow! Using my heart rate monitor (I have a chest strap one) I ended up burning 410 calories in those 30 minutes. Other days I will have my oldest babysit so that I can go to a class--such as kickboxing or zumba.

Fitness Magazine has several online workouts that would work as well.

One thing that I struggle with is the guilt of taking time for myself in order to workout. Granted, my kids are older, but I need to remember that I am doing everything for them. I need to take that time to de-stress. Sometimes my workout for the day is a walk with the girls or a bike ride with them...other times, I need that alone time to regroup. I just keep reminding myself that all the work will pay off and the benefits from working out are worth it...we are worth it!

Sorry this got so long, hope some of the information is useful for you!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    Thanks Trent. The avocado thing worked for me one week but last week I couldn't find any ripe ones. I bought one anyway and cut into it to soon. It was nasty :-/
    @findleyn: thanks for all the info! I think 30DS will be great to do while my son is sleeping in the mornings. It really helps me stay focused when I'm able to workout without him being a distraction. Sometimes I walk while he plays at the park if he don't want to walk with me. I also have my teenage sister to be accountable to as I workout with her on Tuesday and Thursday (usually Zumba)

I keep granola bars, string cheese, and wheat thins at work for snacks but I'd feel better if I had something a little more fresh on hand. Watermelon and Strawberries are my favorite go to snacks for Summer. I'm just waiting for the prices to drop a little since they're not quite in season yet. I still do lean cuisine for lunch sometimes just because it's quick and easy to grab and go in the mornings when I'm gathering things for work.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You simply just have to make time for things.....it is hard at first but then just becomes routine. As far as food I cut up lots of veg when I do have time (like a sunday night etc) and keep carrots, celery, cucumber etc in water in the fridge so they don't go bad quickly.

Hard boiled eggs are also good for protein levels and upping your cals and you can make 10 at a time and keep them in the fridge.

Canned tuna is also great....quick and easy.....almonds, cashews etc are also healthy good for you snacks that help increase cals in a good way.

Watch watermelon if you are trying to keep sugar or carbs low at all.....it is "good for you' sugar but its VERY high in both so I now I only use it for a treat. Berries...strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries are good alternatives....I like them with cottage cheese or greek yogurt.

These are all quick and pretty easy things to grab to up your cals.