I see no need to ever eat a french fry again

Options
kdiamond
kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
So I had some leftover Russet potatoes and the kids were crying for french fries, so I made some for them.

1/2 medium potato is only 50 calories! And made a big handful of delicious fries!

Here's what I did...

Peel a few potatoes and place in a pot of ice cold water for 1/2 hour. Not sure why, but this makes them crispier. Make sure they are completely dried after.

Slice them into french fries, thin, and spread out on a baking sheet. Spray with olive oil spray and salt with sea salt.

Bake in a 450 oven for 35 minutes, turning a couple of times. With about 5 minutes to go, sprinkle a little bit of parmesan cheese on top...just a little.

They came out crispy, tasty and delicious!!!

Replies

• Montrose11
    Montrose11 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Can't wait to try them!!

Thanks for sharing.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes...fried, mashed, whatever. I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for sharing.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yeah they're great. I would make an investment in a scale though. Sometimes "medium" is a confusing word. I got one for $10 at CVS best investment I ever made.
  • beutiful5678
    beutiful5678 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try this! Sounds delicious
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yeah they're great. I would make an investment in a scale though. Sometimes "medium" is a confusing word. I got one for $10 at CVS best investment I ever made.

Oh I know. I figure a correct estimation including the spray and parm cheese would be 100 calories a serving.
  • saligator
    saligator Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmm...soudns gorgeous!
  • bikinibrooke123
    Options
    Mmm. Making these for lunch tomorrow:)

Thanks!
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I will have to try this. Definitely will use the scale though.
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    bump!!!! sounds delicious!
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to have to try this! Here's to hoping that my oven decides to work for me! LOL
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I've currently got some potato in water right now, gonna have them for dinner with some salmon! :-)

Thanks for this!!!!
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Had something similar last night but added: garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, and another Schilling's seasoning I don't recall the name. If you sprinkle a little bit of sugar on them they brown and crisp real nice.
  • donnaleecam
    Options
    Yum!
  • scrappymel
    scrappymel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    we also do this with the baby red potatoes... but cut them in quarters. SO good! i think i'll try your fries with turkey burgers next time i make them. thanks!

melisa
  • bdowning
    bdowning Posts: 1
    Options
    Sound delicious, thanks for the recipe!!
  • onyxlibra7
    Options
    Bump
  • sanrog
    sanrog Posts: 68
    Options
    I make sweet potato fries this way - they are great
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yum! I just bought a big bag of taters. Yum!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thankyou. :)
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! You soak potatoes in water to leach out some of the gluten and that is why they get so crispy. When I make hash browns after I grate them I soak in cold water for about 15 minutes and then drain well through a colander and then layers of paper towels. They come out so much better that way and are not sticky or mushed together.:flowerforyou: