Battling Afternoon Hunger

Options
How do you battle afternoon hunger? I have always been this way - in between lunch and dinner I am HUNGRY. Growing up I would eat a second lunch when I got home from school. And now, in my (late) 30s, I still get so hungry in the afternoon I need to EAT. How do you battle this? Or, perhaps, how do you work this extra meal in to your daily calories? I know to mix protein and carbs - today I ate an apple dipped in peanut butter and 1/2 a cup of corn nuts (I was craving them ALL DAY and by 4 I caved!). It does nothing to my appetite for dinner and what I eat for lunch doesn't seem to impact it. THANKS!

Replies

• 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for lunch.? High fiber foods and more protein fill better and take longer to digest. Are you drinking enough? Thirst can feel like hunger. Chug some water before the time you start to feel hungry to head off the feeling.
  • tiffanymullins75
    Options
    I also have the same problem.l stay up til early morning around 1 and 2 am it is hard for me to not eat.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Normally I eat lunch, but today I had a late breakfast so I ate an extra egg to make up for it.

For my afternoon snack, I had a half slice of Red Velvet Cake and a Mallowmar. I fit them in my numbers.

Anything goes as long as you can work it in.
  • DaniInMaine
    DaniInMaine Posts: 23
    Options
    Oh, how I can identify with this!! My downfall is the time after work and before dinner. I do great all day long until then. I've found moving dinner up to 4:30 or 5:00 helps a lot but boy, if I'm not eating BY 5:00, I end up overdueing the eating and go way over the top.

Adding seltzer water has helped a lot 'cause it helps fill me up a bit. I drink 2 and sometimes 3 bottles a day. I finally bought a soda stream, which carbonates regular tap water. Don't know if it would help you, but it's working for me. Good luck!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Every day I have coffee for breakfast, eat lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and evening snack. Just spread your calories out to allow for that extra snack. I would be a ravenous Bi%#$ if I skipped my afternoon snack. My calories usually look something like this:

Coffee w/milk - 200 calories (a lot of coffee, 1 cup milk or so)
    Lunch - 300-400
    Afternoon Snack - 200-300
    Dinner - 600-700
    Evening snack -300-500

I eat 2000 per day so I may have more wiggle room than you...
  • pamays
    pamays Posts: 20
    Options
    I snack on veggies... that seems to help me... my hard time is after work before dinner... good luck
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is so me! Doesn't matter how much I eat for lunch, or how late I leave it, I am continuously peckish from lunchtime to about 4pm. I deal with it by grazing - start with a lunch around 300 - 400 calories. Then a piece of fruit an hour later. A cup of green tea. Then 14 almonds scattered across the afternoon. I try to hold out to 3:30 to have my carrot with PB or hommous. Another cup of green tea. Chewing gum in between.

I think it's the early morning runs that cause a natural after lunch dip in circadian rythyms, which unfortunately coincides with when I need to get stuff done at work. Because on weekends, it's no problem - I sleep in, and then if I am feeling sleepy after lunch it's no big deal because I don't have to concentrate.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    my magic time is 3-4. it doesnt matter if I am full or not- i just wanna eat! snack, crunch. Nothing helps - just do something, walk, work, chew peppermint gum. Oh and then night falls and its back! :)
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i have been working on this too. i make a protein smoothie. almond milk, protein powder, and blend a half a banana. i chug this between work and go straight to the gym after work. i know if i go home and eat that i wont leave again.
  • wmphimu
    wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a balanced lunch. Today I had a turkey burger (homemade - ground turkey breast with seasonings) on a roll & a small Greek salad (veggies, handful of olives, tbsp of feta, some homemade dressing). Tomorrow I know I am eating out at Noodles & Company and am planning to order the Med Salad with shrimp. Unless I eat a crazy large lunch, I'm hungry a few hours later. Breakfast this morning was an Amy's tofu wrap.

My meal times are pretty set because I have an almost 4 year old who eats at the same time every day. And I try to model healthy eating for her - veggies at every meal, fruit for snacks, etc. And I have been exercising every day to try to "earn back" some extra calories. But I'm hungry hungry hungry.

Oh yeah - I also have been drinking a ton of water (I'm at 9 glasses so far today) and I try to wait at least 30-60 min to make sure I'm REALLY hungry. But it's hard.
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    I eat an afternoon snack. I like one of these:
    Grapes and a piece of low fat cheese
    Light yogurt with granola
    Hummus and a piece of pita and/or baby carrots
    Granola bar
    1/4 cup almonds
    Crackers topped with tuna mixed with fat free mayo
    Apple
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm with you-- usually between 2 and 3, no matter when I ate lunch, I get snacky. and sleepy. I usually have a Graze snack around that time that fits into my calories for the day-- seeds, nuts, dried fruit, etc.-- and LOTS of cold water.

Good luck!
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Afternoon is always my "sugar" craving. So when I go back to work after lunch I take a protein shake with me (chocolate) that takes care of it when the feeling hits me !!!