Training for a half-marathon

Options
I plan to walk/jog the Rock and Roll half-marathon in Virginia Beach this year. I have never been a strong runner, even as a child. I have started walking three miles per day, while intermittently jogging for short distances. My goal is to jog half the distance and walk the other half. Does anyone have any training tips? The run is in September.

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    This is how I trained for my half marathon:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

I made it in 2 hours 50 minutes.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use the about programs (http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/basichalf.htm).

I've been doing the advanced beginner half, but I tweaked the program a bit because I had less time...

You may also consider checking the time that the course will be open at the half you are interested in, if you plan to walk half of it that may make it difficult.

Good luck!
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just finished my third half-marathon this Sunday in 2:19. My thought is to maybe do a full with running a mile and jogging a mile, etc. An idea.....
    The Rock and Roll is fun and gives out tons of stuff at the finish line. Good for you!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    why are you not wanting to train to RUN the entire distance? Seems silly to me if you are planning to WALK half the distance. Not trying to be negative, I just don't understand your mind set......

perhaps you should try starting with the C25K program, work your way through a 5k and 10K RUNNING first.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I'm registered for a half in September too. Keeping my eye on this topic.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Get a gym boss. Timer do intervals. See Galloway method on the web
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump for later, wanna come back and check this out for info. I am doing first half in 'august :)
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is get the RunKeeper app. It's completely free, measures your distance, pace etc through your iPhone with GPS, and best of all has a tone of free training programs. I've been using it for several months and I feel like it's the best app I have for my health (other than the MFP app :) )

http://runkeeper.com/
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon to train up for my first half marathon - I'm completing my third this weekend. I ran my first in 2:01 and my second in 1:55. I trained 5 months before running my first one. I started with three and four mile training runs and built up to four times a week. Did a few 5K and 10K races and then started the Hal Higdon program 12 weeks before the race.

I'm using Hal Higdon now to train for my first marathon in June - the Seattle Rock and Roll.
  • jeanniemarie73
    jeanniemarie73 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did the Tinkerbell 1/2 back in January. I Started training about 8 months before it using the Jeff Galloway run/walk/run program. I was a complete couch potatoe so if I can do it then you can do it! I warm up by walking for 3 min then 1 min run/1 min walk. start slow and build adding a bit of distance each time. Bring yourself up to 10 miles in distance about 1 month before the race then taper down reducing the mileage a few weeks before the race. Good luck! Its an amazing accomplishment!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I used the Hal higdon program for my first. I finished my 3rd this past weekend.

I also vote for trying to run more than walk, you may be underestimating yourself
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galoway also has traing programs with run/walk intervals. Gook luck and have fun - it is a great event!
  • FretheMJsmokingcannibal
    Options
    Awesome! I'm doing the Marine half marathon! Good luck and my suggestion is run intervals around your neighborhood( considering where you live though)
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read for advice. I have a bunch of 5ks that I am running this year, hoping to run my first 10k in October and hoping to run my first half next April (I am holding off running the half until next year so i can give myself a year to train, and I am also trying to place in a 5k this yer as well). Currently using the Hal Higdon half marathon plan.
  • marvellawong
    marvellawong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/ I used this to start running and worked my way up to running 3 miles. Two years later, I ran two half marathons. You can do it!
  • voodooziggy
    voodooziggy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This event in particular is a lot of fun, and many people walk it. I plan on running part way to ensure that I finish within the allowed time, and to make it a little more challenging.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I personally started running with the C25K program, and then gradually built up my endurance until I could run a 10K. When I trained for my first half marathon I used Hal Higdon's program

Jeff Galloway is another well known program that incorporates the run/walk method.

I have yet to run an entire half marathon distance, but I always finish! Good Luck and enjoy!
  • voodooziggy
    Options
    I suppose I should have been more specific about my goals. I don't really care to run for 13 miles, as I don't find running long distances particularly pleasant. I'd like to participate to meet people, and to have something to work toward. I plan to run part of the race to ensure that I finish in time.
  • voodooziggy
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone :)
  • scrmom74
    scrmom74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am doing the VA Beach half in September. I can tell you I won't be running the whole thing. My pace is between 12 and 13 min/mile. What I do is jog approx 15 minutes then walk fast for 2 minutes. My body doesn't seem to warm until mile 3 so thereafter I can run a little bit longer and little bit harder. Grant it the most I have done is 6.8 miles. We still have 10 more weeks to train. My goal is to finish and have fun!!