Raw Food - Plant Based - Eye Color Changing...........

Options
I have been whole food / mostly raw food, plant based for almost 100 days now. I noticed that the top part of my eyes (the top outer edge of my iris) have started to get this thick grey blue coloring to them - I am normally very dark brown and have a solid black circle around the outer part of my iris.

I read somewhere that eyes will lighten / brighten and for many eating this way even change in color - the darker the eyes, the more toxins it is said to still be in the system. As you detox and switch to raw food plant based, the eyes will lose the dark build up and return to what most have at birth - a bluer / lighter shade of eye. The lighter in shade, the healthier you are said to be.

Anyway, there is much research on this but when I saw it myself, I was surprised - I am putting pics below but it is god awful hard to take them and get the contrast of dark brown and that grey blue to show up as you hold and balance a camera while looking in the mirror :) I can see it but then again I know what I am looking for as I see it in the mirror.

Thought this would be interesting to post.......................pics below.....................and last pic is me today - full on shot of my face further away so you can see how dark my eyes are and know why I can readily see this contrasting color.

6a25aa96-25b7-4d54-a213-5b42f53974b0_zps578bee09.jpg

96c881d3-7100-4d37-9488-bbde84fbfd27_zpseb0c68f7.jpg

5b00feed-4f18-4ea5-bad9-59a218df93fb_zps22fc1f15.jpg

ef03e7c6-134e-4bc9-824a-ca70b0fec8e5_zps283fc3e3.jpg

KCCloseUp5-8-13_zps5ccc0b23.jpg

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    You have very pretty eyes. I wonder what color blue eyes would change to? I've always wanted grey contacts..
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If the light blue iris ring you are seeing is at or near the margin between the iris (colored part of your eye) and the sclera (white part) and forms a large ring around that margin it is likely to be a deposit of cholesterol. It does not damaging to the eye and does not interfere with vision. This is very common in older individuals but if you are a young adult it may suggest high cholesterol. If the ring you are seeing is anywhere else on the iris other than following the outside margin, it should be checked.
    -Lylas Mogk, MD
  • vashnic
    vashnic Posts: 93
    Options
    Eye color is determined by melanin density, same as skin color. Some babies haven't fully developed theirs yet, so often look blue-eyed until it deposits more. If the changes are quite noticeable, I'd check with a doctor to check up.
  • prozac5489
    prozac5489 Posts: 33
    Options
    Brown eye color isn't due to toxins in the system or anything like that. It's just because you have a little more melanin production than people who have blue eyes. Many babies have blue eyes at birth, but that's often a factor of the melanin not quite kicking in yet. Sometimes your cells need some exposure to UV light before they start producing melanin.

Melanin is a protein, so if the color change you're experiencing right now isn't a cholesterol deposit, then it might be a sign of a protein deficiency or a vitamin A, C, or E deficiency. Consult your eye doctor, general practitioner, or a nutritionist.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    82IxBuL.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Ummm....I have brown eyes and from when I was a baby, I have had that ring around my eyes. I am going to have to say that this probably isn't true..lol.

ETA: And never has any eye doctor commented on it and told me it was a sign of health problems. In fact, the doctor at my last eye check said my eyes were very healthy. He was surprised because I tend to always have my contacts in and don't change them like I should..lol.
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Actually many raw foodists change eye color - there is a TON online reg it...........just think it is interesting to see..................plan to keep monitoring it as it gets more prominent and then do a comparison pic...................
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    My eyes are green. Does that mean that the green coffee bean enemas are working? I must have like no toxins since plants are green, right?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Actually many raw foodists change eye color - there is a TON online reg it...........just think it is interesting to see..................plan to keep monitoring it as it gets more prominent and then do a comparison pic...................

So..there have been actual studies on this? Would love to review them :)
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    -_-.......
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Eye color is determined by melanin density, same as skin color. Some babies haven't fully developed theirs yet, so often look blue-eyed until it deposits more. If the changes are quite noticeable, I'd check with a doctor to check up.

This. Eye color has nothing to do with "toxins in your body" otherwise my eyes would be freakin' black and they've been grey for nearly 23 years.
  • Smrhoads
    Smrhoads Posts: 31
    Options
    82IxBuL.gif

^^^this
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Hey, now, she found the information online. And they can't put things on the internet unless they're true!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Hey, now, she found the information online. And they can't put things on the internet unless they're true!

I was thinking the same. You mention "studies" but don't link to them. Are they peer reviewed?
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    eyerolling_zps728587cd.gif
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

OMG, get a close look at her eyes and see if she's eating raw food!
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The founder of Body Electronics, Dr. John Ray, says an all-raw diet is included in an energy-based and spiritual healing system in which some advocates have been observed to develop certain changes in eye color. However, there is no evidence to prove these claims. They say there is an overlaying discoloration caused by the toxins on the tissues in the iris, which can serve as a curtain-like cover that makes the iris look darker. No statements done by this private agency have been evaluated by the Department of Health and Human Services.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/244965-eye-color-change-due-to-diet/#ixzz2SlIgEfsO

Note that if your adult eye color changes pretty dramatically, or if one eye changes from brown to green or blue to brown (called heterochromia), it's important to see your eye doctor. Eye color changes can be a warning sign of certain diseases, such as Fuch's heterochromic iridocyclitis, Horner's syndrome or pigmentary glaucoma.
    http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/eye-color.htm

I am sure I can find more.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

OMG, get a close look at her eyes and see if she's eating raw food!

Yea she is, she said pass the damn salad Nowwwwww
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
    :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    FWIW, your eyes look exactly the same to me in those pictures. Maybe there's been a shift in your color perception from a raw food diet.
  • PezAzul
    PezAzul Posts: 42
    Options
    If the light blue iris ring you are seeing is at or near the margin between the iris (colored part of your eye) and the sclera (white part) and forms a large ring around that margin it is likely to be a deposit of cholesterol. It does not damaging to the eye and does not interfere with vision. This is very common in older individuals but if you are a young adult it may suggest high cholesterol. If the ring you are seeing is anywhere else on the iris other than following the outside margin, it should be checked.
    -Lylas Mogk, MD

She's onto something. Google image "iris cholesterol ring". Looks like it to me.