Whole foods/Trader Joes must haves

Options
13»

Replies

• Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    y are so awesome! thank you for this! will be a good read tonight at work...I can work on my list
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am a Trader Joe's fan.
    I get frozen Indian meals for my husband.

Be careful with the frozen indian food meals there. I use to buy those for my husband's dinner all the time, but one day I happened to looked at the fat content and realized that it has a CRAZY amount of saturated fat. Not just one of them but ALL of them have a bunch of saturated fat. It's not something I normally look at, but I felt it would be terrible for me to continue buying those heart clogging frozen meals for him.

I do however love their other frozen stuff! :)
  • elmo0901
    elmo0901 Posts: 7
    Options
    When I decided I needed to change my life-weight, food, working out, I realized it couldn't just be a diet. When I was researching all types of "lifestyle" changes the only that made sense for me was clean eating and that can be done pretty much at any store, though some are easy than others. No TJ's near me but in south Florida we have great farmers markets and I do frequent the "Greenwise" section of my regular grocery store along with WF. I also shop Amazon for things like chia seeds, flax, bob's red mill products, etc as a lot of time they are cheaper then my stores. With free shipping I can't beat it.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My only must have for Whole Foods is a paycheck 3 times the size of the one I actually get :)
  • meaningful99
    meaningful99 Posts: 174
    Options
    Where I live, Whole Foods has much better produce than Trader Joe's. They also have a great bulk food section. Trader Joe's is good for frozen and packaged stuff. We actually got our Thanksgiving turkey at TJ last year and people raved about it.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with Trader Joes lately. I am finding I can buy pretty much everything I need there for less or same cost as whole foods (which is right in the next shopping center). Every time I go, I find something new to try. lol!
    A few things from my diary and beyond:
    cage free liquid egg whites (yes i am that lazy)
    Barbara's puffins peanut butter cereal (i don't eat a bowl, but steal a few when i give it to my kids, yum, and cheaper than every place)
    Columbus brand reduced sodium turkey breast
    The cheese case is great, delicious
    Nuts! I love the Go Raw Trek mix (individual bags) I also buy the raw sliced almonds and cashew pieces for my homemade granola.
    Organic chicken
    Taco Shells
    Organic no salt added Marinara sauce
    TJ's alfredo sauce (i don't eat it but my husband liked it)
    Organic yellow corn tortilla rounds chips
    I also buy the granola bars for my kids/husband. lol
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has some good stuff.. but it is NOT CHEAP by any standards, compared to shopping in a regular grocery store. Unless there is something specific that you can only get at Trader Joe's, I wouldn't bother. They do have some good stuff though - I get Better n Peanut Butter there, and I like their mini oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

Where do you live? Here, it's so much cheaper than our grocery stores, with the exception of Walmart, but we call it "ghetto Walmart" for a reason and tend to not go there...
    I agree! TJ's is much more cost effective for comparable products and their specialty items are beyond yummy! LOVE TJ's!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Get Whole Foods peanut butter. They test for aflatoxin, which can occur naturally in peanut butter, if even one moldy peanut gets into a batch, and is a truly horrendous carcinogen even in small amounts. I'm not normally a fan of Whole Foods.

^This. I get the one with no sugar added. It is so delicious. I cannot believe that it is not sweetened.

I also love the roasted red pepper hummus from TJs.
  • missalica
    missalica Posts: 12
    Options
    I lived in Canada near the US Border and make special trips down to TJs for the amazing deals and food, (groceries are much more expensive for us).

I really like their Marsala Veggie Burgers, Dark chocolate covered berries, organic Kale, huge cheese selection, their hummus and curry selections. Go and take your time to read the labels and ingredients, I have found that some of their things that has higher sodium.
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Kalona organic cottage cheese from Whole Foods. It is the ONLY one w/o preservatives and other bad stuff... at least in my area. if you eat cottage cheese read the label of the other brands and you'll be surprised how many artificial ingredients there are in those.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    A must have is Trader Joe's ketchup. None, and I mean NONE compares...
    to each his own bud. I find their organic ketchup to be gross in its sweetness. it's not VILE but I won't be buying any more.