In My Mid 60's and Looking for Support

I went to the doctor today and got the bad news. I gained significant weight since my last appointment and he was clear that it needs to turn around. How embarrassing! Anyway, I like myfitnesspal because of the flexibility, but I really need support from others. The accountability of communicating with others may be just the help I need to lose 55 lbs. Anyone else a busy grandma with weight to lose?

Replies

• ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Hi. 62 years young grandma here. I reached goal last year but fell off the wagon for 5 months this past winter. We have long cold winters here in Winnipeg -- lol (I know, not a valid excuse). Anyway I came back in February and am almost back to goal again but perhaps it is time I got more friends on here to help me stay on track so I don't leave and flunk maintenance again. Would be happy to be your friend.
  • VickiZei
    VickiZei Posts: 32 Member
    Hey there, I just turned 50 and am my heaviest I've ever been. I'm so ready to get moving and start eating right. I can't go into it thinking of it as a diet or I'll never succeed. So it's going to have to be more nourishing and nurturing this time. I really need support so I'd live some buddies on this journey. ~ Vicki
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Hi, My name is Phyllis....
    I am also in my 60's trying to lose weight.
    You can add me as your friend, and we can support each other
  • carlenemcj
    carlenemcj Posts: 1
    Hello my name is Carlene and I am 66 years young and I need to lose about 30 pounds because I am a diabetic type 2. I feel like if I could loose some weight I might possibly get off my meds. I am going to play golf tomorrow and I am very active for my age. Tonight I walked for 30 mins. I always feel good after I walk. Thanks for trying to improve along with me we can help each other. Talk to you later.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    I am younger 47, but here for encouragement. Don't be embarrassed, be mad enough to make a change! You can do it, one day at a time.
  • richfieldgirl
    richfieldgirl Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks Nancy, I see you joined about a year ago. What do you see has the best and worst part of using myfitnesspal? I love flexibility, but wonder if that freedom will work well for me. Look forward to hearing from you.
  • richfieldgirl
    Thanks for your encouragement. How do you stay motivated when no one is around?
  • richfieldgirl
    Thanks Colleen, I'm still getting used to the website. I've got the food and exercise logs down, but this style of communicating is confusing me.
  • loloangel
    loloangel Posts: 24
    I am 47, new to all of this and happy to be your friend for motivation and encouragement!
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    I'm 57, we are all in this together! Add me if you like! I've got a great group of motivating friends!
  • richfieldgirl
    Hi Carlene, Thanks for offering your support. I too feel that I'm active for my age. I do 3 yoga classes each week and walk with a group 3 time a week. My husband and I belong to several groups that socialize and we have family close by. I do quite a bit of housework while we are in our house and then for 3 months of the year we live with our daughter and her family and I do a lot more during those months because the house is bigger, there are more people living there and the kids are small. Even with all this it seems that eating well is difficult for me. I'd rather have a bag of chips and a soda for dinner than cook. I love to eat out and resent the fact that now when money is not the issue I have to deny myself that treat.

Enough complaining! I want to lose for several reasons. Getting off meds is one for me too. Increasing my energy level is a big one and longevity is important to me. My parents died rather young (59 and 73). So I'd say health is the overriding motivation.

Thanks again sending me a note. I look forward to sharing tips and recipes as the summer goes on. BTW what part of the world are you in? I live in Florida and summer in Washington State.

Mac
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Hey, I'm a 59 year old grandpa! So in the interests of equal rights for busy grandpas and the fact that I've lost over 70 lbs on my way to almost 100, I offer my support to any baby boomers who are looking for it. No BS, no cheerleading everyday you hit you calorie totals, but honest to goodness, 100% on time support. Been online for almost a year. My profile is public, take a look and if you like what you see, send me a FR. In any case, want inspiration? Look at this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=505826956150445&set=vb.154798851253259&type=2&theater
  • gampsm824
    gampsm824 Posts: 37 Member
    Hi!

I'm 48. I am relatively new here & looking for some friends for encouragement and support.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Hi Mac,
    I'm 63 and on MFP for health and weight improvement. I'm not a grandmother but retired last year after 40 years of teaching. Please feel free to send me a friend request. Also you might want to check out the 60 and over group. Lots of good people and some challenges posted regularly.
    Linda