Which is better to do first?

Options
Aerobics or strength training?

What order do you prefer to do them in?

I personally prefer to to aerobics first since it loosens me up first and helps get me moving, and gets me motivated for more exercise, whereas doing strength training just makes me tired and achy and makes me just want to go home afterwards.... but I don't even know if the way I do it is correct.

Is there really a "correct" way to do it?

Replies

• metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I always thought that cadio is best to do first, that way your muscles are warmed up to do strength training, however, my 16 yr old daughter said that a trainer at her gym told her it's important to do strength training first..but I'm not sure why, so I'm just sticking with my original thought!. :o)
  • xxgoriexx
    xxgoriexx Posts: 39
    Options
    I always thought that cadio is best to do first, that way your muscles are warmed up to do strength training, however, my 16 yr old daughter said that a trainer at her gym told her it's important to do strength training first..but I'm not sure why, so I'm just sticking with my original thought!. :o)

I hear so many different things from different people // trainers, sites, and tv shows, it's so confusing! It makes me think that there really isn't a "right" way. When I was in high school (only about 6 years ago) they always had us run or jog first, then do strength.
  • palbiniak
    palbiniak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've read some studies on this and evidence is inconclusive either way. I think you get the benefit of both no matter what order you do them in, the key is just to do them. I personally prefer cardio first, then strength -- much better to lift when your muscles are warm. A really good way to do it is to integrate both -- do like 10 minutes of cardio, then lift a body part (like squats and leg thrusts, for example), then go back to cardio and keep going back and forth. This method keeps your heart rate and your blood flow up during the lifting phase. It makes everything work more efficiently, burns more calories and helps you to push through thresh holds. Hope that helps!
  • xxgoriexx
    xxgoriexx Posts: 39
    Options
    I've read some studies on this and evidence is inconclusive either way. I think you get the benefit of both no matter what order you do them in, the key is just to do them. I personally prefer cardio first, then strength -- much better to lift when your muscles are warm. A really good way to do it is to integrate both -- do like 10 minutes of cardio, then lift a body part (like squats and leg thrusts, for example), then go back to cardio and keep going back and forth. This method keeps your heart rate and your blood flow up during the lifting phase. It makes everything work more efficiently, burns more calories and helps you to push through thresh holds. Hope that helps!

That's what I was thinking. :] And thank you. :]