Overnight Oats Ideas

Options
lafochs
lafochs Posts: 21
I'm looking to try some overnight oats and mix up my breakfast routine. Please share any ideas or combos you enjoy. Thanks!

Replies

• firewoodcit
    firewoodcit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have one of Tosca Reno’s clean eating cookbooks. This is her Crock Pot Porridge recipe.

1/2 cup cracked wheat
    1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
    1/2 cup rye flakes
    1/2 cup brown rice
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    6 1/2 cups water or any combination of liquids including water, rice milk, soy milk, almond milk, goats milk and/or water equal to 6 1/2 cups
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup chopped dates (I use dried cherries)
    1 1/2 tbsp best-quality vanilla
    Pinch of nutmeg

Preparation

Place all ingredients in a 3-quart-or-greater crock-pot. Stir well to combine all ingredients. Cover.

Set on lowest cooking temperature and cook overnight. If your crock-pot cooking time is set by length of cooking time, set for the longest cooking time and lowest heat.

I also put cinnamon in mine. As far as the liquid goes, I usually put a mixture of different things to help with keeping it moist. I also have substituted quinoa for the rye flakes before. Basically if I’m out of one of the top four ingredients, I just improvise. Sometimes I’ve used oat bran and whole grain cream of wheat. I like this a lot, and it’s really easy to make. It lasts me all week..
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I mix pure pumpkin in mine or cereal with almond milk and cinnamon. Special K Red Berries is amazing. The flakes soak in the milk when you let it sit and it gets a lot bigger. Very filling and yummy.
  • firewoodcit
    firewoodcit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That sounds good. I love pumpkin! I also try to put some type of nut in, whether it be sunflower kernels, almonds, walnuts.
  • lafochs
    lafochs Posts: 21
    Options
    Those both sound good! Thanks! I made some this morning with PB2 and bananas....it was tasty.
  • Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options
    Really simple but I love almond milk, fresh berries, honey and linseeds - It goes all creamy and fruity plus it's super filling :)
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    soak oats in fruit juice, add a cut up a prune, some slivered almonds, cinnamon and nutmeg

serve in the morning with some greek yoghurt and fruit (strawberries!)

I used to do this all the time :love: awesome brekkie!
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    This is my breakfast for tomorrow:

-40g oats
    -2 tsp organic sweetener, of choice
    -1 tsp ground ginger
    -1 tbsp sesame seeds, or others of choice
    -200ml water
    -100ml milk, of choice
    -100ml freshly brewed coffee
    -1 tsp cinnamon
    -1 tsp nutmeg

Microwave it for the amount of time you see fit, then leave it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I usually heat it up again and then I add half a banana, and some other fruit of choice and drizzle honey on top.
    DELICIOUS and so filling!
  • ausfgrad
    ausfgrad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My favorite is what I've named Cherries Jubilee! I've adapted it from the oatmeal on theyummylife.com I tend to use frozen fruit because it's hard and extremely expensive to find fresh berries where I live.

I use:
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup yogurt (I used low fat homemade)
    1/3 cup milk (I use fat free)
    1 tbs chia seeds
    chopped frozen dark cherries (I am also a fan of frozen blueberries with some fresh banana)

DELICIOUS!
  • erinalysa14
    erinalysa14 Posts: 58
    Options
    I make sure to mix chia seeds before putting it in the ref, the oats get extra thick and fluffy! The next morning I usually put a spoonful of peanut butter or my latest discovery... trader joe's cookie butter. so delicious!!
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i do 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt, 1/2 sccop vanilla protein powder, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 pack of stevia. that is my base and then i will add different things such as: peanut/almond butter, blueberries, bananas, almonds, pumkin seeds, dried cranberries, choc chips, what ever sounds good that day. this past week i used steel cut oats instead of the rolled oats, i just cooked them about 10 minutes on the stove first. i made a batch on Sunday and it made 5 containers so i was all set for the week to grab and go! Enjoy!!!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The night before I'll combine rolled oats, almond milk, ground flaxseeds, peanut butter, and some kind of fruit. I leave it in a sealed container in the fridge overnight, and eat it cold topped with a little Total cereal. You can heat it up if you like, but it tastes great cold.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I like adding pureed bananas and dares for natural sweetener then you don't have to add any sugar. Plus some vanilla or almond extract and some cinnamon, then whatever nuts or seeds I happen to have on hand.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup light vanilla soymilk
    1 tsp sugar free maple syrup
    few dashes of cinnamon

stick in the fridge overnight
  • debbieb1971
    debbieb1971 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions. Think i'll give some of these a try as i'm a bit sick of eggs for breakfast.
  • xmel123x
    xmel123x Posts: 63
    Options
    I thought I'd bump this back up as I'm looking for ideas for different flavours, I've got my base recipe just need some inspiration for things to put in it, I don't like nuts or bananas but other than that I'm open to anything! :)
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Mine’s a basic, but a goodie! 

I’ve been using
    40g of rolled oats,
    1 tsp chia seeds
    200ml(ish) of unsweetened almond milk,
    sometimes I’ll add in some low fat goats milk yoghurt too.

Leave overnight in a sealed jar and in the morning when the oats are good and fluffy I’ll add strawberries and or blueberries, cinnamon and a tiny drizzle of light agave syrup. Delicious!