Wow - eliminating soda

Options
Today was my first day to really cut out my mt dew, I did have half a can, 6oz at 4pm today, compare that to my average of 3 or even 4 on a 'bad' day, I feel like I was successful.

I went to lunch with my kids at Pizza hut today and ordered a chicken alfredo. I thought for sure despite my limited soda today that I would blow my calories for the day but I didn't. When I completed my journal for the day, I still had some calories left.

I am amazed. What a difference eliminating soda can make. This is more then enough incentive to get me through the hard cravings tomorrow.

I will say though I am very tired and ready for bed and it's not quite 7pm. The enormous amounts of sugar and caffeine from the mt dew keep me feeling very awake. I just have to remind myself it will only be like this in the beginning.

Replies

• mrsfloisand
    mrsfloisand Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I believe in you. Mtn Dew was my thing, every day, had to have it and I can proudly say I have not had any pop since January 6, 2010! I feel great! I crave it all the time, but I remind myself its never gonna taste as good as I remember it, since I've cut out caffine and all that sugar, ugh!

Trust me, be strong, you can do it!
  • metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    Try drinking water for energy. Hydrating your body will also help stay alert and focused! AND it's healthier! :o)
    Your body will most likely go through a detox, so I suggest drinking as much water as you can handle.
  • scotlanded
    scotlanded Posts: 20
    Options
    I noticed what a big difference eliminating soda was as well! I was drinking usually one 20-oz bottle/day at LEAST and I've since started drinking the SoBe Lifewater's (zero calories!)

It was hard at first, especially without the caffeine, but now I actually feel much better and can have some other sort of little treat instead! I do still give myself some soda when I'm especially tired (I don't drink coffee or tea, heh!) but for the most part it's nice being soda-free!
  • sbased
    sbased Posts: 14
    Options
    I definitely see the the difference when I don't hydrate too. I know some people think it doesn't change with water versus other drinks but for me I really can tell if its water or something else.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have cut out pop since 2006, and haven't looked back since :) You won't regret it.

The only time I ever drink pop is:

1. I am feeling really nauseous (i like gingerale then)
    2. In a couple alcoholic drinks I like

But i have never had pop just to drink since then.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel any difference when I cut out 5 cans of coke a day in the summer of 2005. I switched directly to water. The only time I drink pop now is if someone gives it to me, my wife can't finish her diet, or I'll have an IBC root beer with a friend when I see him (old tradition).

Not only are you cutting out those calories, think of all the money you'll be saving!
  • crystal081
    crystal081 Posts: 12
    Options
    The best way for me to have cut out (most - i still drink on occasions, with friends) was to just make a regular habit of it. When we sit down at a resturant, i immediately order water with lemon - that has become my habit. And it really works.