How long should I wait to see some results?

Options
I was eating way too few calories for too long, and I was losing weight, but eventually I hit a plateau. So now I'm trying to eat AT LEAST my BMR and incorporate some strength training as well as cardio. Last week was the first week I started upping my calorie intake and I gained, which sort of freaked me out, but I was wondering how long it will take to readjust my metabolism? Should I lose this week by continuing to eat this much?

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I would give it AT LEAST several weeks, like 6.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Oh joy.... I only have two pounds to go! Waiting that long is going to drive me crazy...
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It will definitely take a few weeks to see a loss. Maybe not 6. Closer to 3 or 4 in my own experience.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Glad you asked the question; going thru the same thing here. Its been about 2 weeks and I am still kinda level.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    With only 2lbs to go I would try not to worry about the scale. Take measurements instead.
  • roseenk
    roseenk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am six weeks into my "diet." Eating 1800 calories or less a day ....(never lower than 1400). In my second (going into my third week), I hit a plateau for 10 days .. did not budge an ounce. I kept at it .. and on the 10th day, dropped two whole pounds over night. Keep it up ... and know it will work. If you create a calorie deficit, you will drop weight. After 6 weeks, I am down 11 1/2 pounds. Keep up the good work! :) OOPS! Just reread ... 2 pounds to go? You know what you are doing already! Keep on keepin' on! :)
  • wendalyse
    wendalyse Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...... I'm wondering too. Have been eating clean and at my caloric goal of 1200 cal and eating most of the calories I get for exercising. I can feel results; pants are a bit looser, stomach is starting to slim a little. I feel great and have lots of energy. The only thing is that the scale is not moving at all. I'm planning on hanging in there anyway, but would love to know why the scale is staying the same. It would be motivating to see a drop.
  • elsh1700
    elsh1700 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have lost a HEAP of weight in the past by starving myself and throwing up. Needless to say I put it all on when I started eating normally. Eating more but of the right stuff means lasting results - I will not go back. I think you are doing the right thing! It always takes me about 4 weeks minimum to see results when starting to diet. I have just lost my first half kg after 4 weeks of working at it.

Just keep trying and don't focus on the time it takes to see results

Good luck
  • fitkemi
    fitkemi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...... I'm wondering too. Have been eating clean and at my caloric goal of 1200 cal and eating most of the calories I get for exercising. I can feel results; pants are a bit looser, stomach is starting to slim a little. I feel great and have lots of energy. The only thing is that the scale is not moving at all. I'm planning on hanging in there anyway, but would love to know why the scale is staying the same. It would be motivating to see a drop.

Hmm, you're probably building muscle as well as burning fat since you exercise. And since muscle ways more than fat, that could be a possible reason to your concern. Hope that helped a bit :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I would give it AT LEAST several weeks, like 6.

^^ This.

Put the scale away for 6 weeks and just do your thing - you will be happy at the end of 6 weeks...but, of course, make sure you are accurately logging.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    I'm getting in the extra calories needed to meet my BMR by eating mostly fruits and veggies, so at least if I gain at first I know it's not due to fatty junk food haha!