What can I take for energy?

Options
I stay away from caffeine because it's gives me silent acid reflux. What can i take for energy ? I'm always exhausted
Thanks

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting your calories very low? Exhaustion is often a sign for dieters that you aren't eating enough.
  • vidasana87
    vidasana87 Posts: 75
    Options
    See what happens to your energy levels when you up your water intake quite dramatically. Aim for 2.5-3L a day! This seems to help me BIG time.

We often look for things to give us that "pick me up" or boost of energy, and it's often just a lack of water :)))
  • msharp23
    msharp23 Posts: 14
    Options
    I second the water (and making sure you are eating enough), but B12 can work wonders as well.
  • kgoodman0108
    kgoodman0108 Posts: 158
    Options
    -sorry, deleted-
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    I take B12... Helps a lot!
  • raeraebeau
    raeraebeau Posts: 47
    Options
    My dr told me I could overdose on b12. Is that true ?
    I second the water (and making sure you are eating enough), but B12 can work wonders as well.
  • raeraebeau
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day about

Are you cutting your calories very low? Exhaustion is often a sign for dieters that you aren't eating enough.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    My dr told me I could overdose on b12. Is that true ?
    [/quote

Im not a doctor by any means so take from this what you will but through all my research on the topic I concluded that the body will naturally get rid of the extra b vitamins through your urine which is why it is often bright yellow even when drinking massives amoutn of water. THis isnt to say that you cant overdose but i imagine it would take a lot for you to..
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I eat 1300 calories a day but on days I do weight training or intense work I will eat more. I was always tired when I ate chemicals and perservatives, since finding clean eating and starting a b vitamin supplement (super complex all the b vitamins in one) along with my multi vitamin I don't seem to be fatigued as much. For a lot of people 1200 is just simply to low most def. so if you are working out hard.. I also find that drinking quality full leaf green tea when I'm feeling sleepy helps me, hope this was helpful :)
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I'm not a doctor by any means so take from this what you will but through all my research on the topic I concluded that the body will naturally get rid of the extra b vitamins through your urine which is why it is often bright yellow even when drinking massive amounts of water. This isn't to say that you can't overdose but i imagine it would take a lot.

^ This. I don't know how much it would take, and I'm sure it can be done, but when I was drinking a lot (and doing so on a regular basis) I used to pop a few before going to bed and then again when I woke up because it was the best hang over cure ever. I'm sure it can be done, I've never done it, and would suggest taking the recommended dose in the AM and see how it works for you. Iron levels can also alter your energy levels, try to get a lot of greens and take an iron supp, most women need them anyway.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Water, sleep and enough calories.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I often use a green drink by Dr Shulzs called Superfood and I feel the energy hit me with no jitters or other side effects. It has a lot of B vitamins in it and it is absorbed quickly. It does have a green drink taste, but it I mix it with juice it's not bad at all.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day about

theres something wrong with your diet. if you eat properly, you should have enough energy.

the drugs dont work.

add a multivitamin, make sure you get enough protein, add some coconut cream to your diet, porridge is an excellent power boost in the morning.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Along with the B12 and other things, make sure you're getting enough good fats. I find that when I cut the good fats (avocados, fish oils), I seem to loose steam during the week leaving me on the couch for the weekend with very little willpower because I'm too tired to care.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    food
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Being tired is no fun at all. You can't concentrate at work, you exercise less, and getting out of bed takes a lot of effort. It's a miserable way to trudge through life. But did you know that having more energy may be as simple as choosing the right foods?

Overall, the key is to focus on low-glycemic foods (because they release energy slowly) that are high in complex carbohydrates and low in excess fats. Iron is also very important because it produces red blood cells that carry blood to exercising muscles. A first step is to eliminate "quick-fix" foods that contain simplex carbohydrate foods, like candy bars and soft drinks, which spike your energy level before it plunges quickly. Next, start incorporating these 10 foods into your diet.

Daily

1. Whole grains. They're high in fiber (which can help slow the breakdown and absorption of sugar) and complex carbohydrates. They also contain antioxidants similar to those in fruits and vegetables. Additionally, they reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. Adults should eat 6 to 11 servings of whole grains per day. Examples include whole grain breads, pastas, and rice.

Breakfast

2. Oatmeal. According to the American Dietetic Association, oat products are some of the best sources of soluble fiber. You can combine oatmeal with raisins, honey, and yogurt for extra flavor and energy.

3. Bananas. This fruit is packed with potassium, which helps your muscles contract. One per day prevents stiffness that comes from sitting at a desk.

4. Orange Juice. This drink is ideal for the morning and is extremely high in vitamin C, which helps you get the most iron out of other foods.

Meals

5. Pasta. When athletes "carbo-load" before a game, they usually eat a big plate of spaghetti. It's extremely high in complex carbohydrates and low in calories, fat, and sodium.

6. Salmon. This fish is high in protein, and its high concentration of omega-3 fats and B vitamins can boost your cardiovascular health.

7. Beans. A small, powerful vegetable packed with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, beans can be used in creative ways. Add them to soups, burritos, pastas, and dip spreads. In 2005 the Department of Agriculture recommended that Americans eat three cups of beans per week.

Snack

8. Dried fruit. These high-energy, low-fat snacks are easy to pack and almost never go bad. Try a medley of apricots, figs, and raisins. However, be aware that some commercially packaged dried fruits contain sulfur dioxide, which has been shown to increase your risk of asthma.

9. Almonds. Ounce-for-ounce, this is the most nutrient-dense nut. Research has shown that adding two ounces of almonds to your daily diet increases your intake of vitamin-E and magnesium.

10. Yogurt. Quick, easy, and delicious, yogurt is available in a variety flavors. One cup of low-fat yogurt contains almost 13 grams of protein and 17 grams of carbohydrates-just what you need for great energy.
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with above- increase water and make sure you are eating a balanced diet.. Supplements may help, I take a multi-vite (one a day pro edge) which has b12 among others in it which does give me more energy. As far as overdosing on B12- (not a doctor, but a former Medical Assistant so this is my understanding) it is a water soluble vitamin which means it can be flushed out through the urine. Vitamins A D E C are fat soluble so they are harder to get rid of so those are the ones I would worry about over dosing on. However, as your doctor had told you that I am assuming there was a reason pertaining to you and your health. If you are eating well, drinking enough water, and getting enough rest there could be something else going on and may be worth a visit back to the doc.
  • raeraebeau
    Options
    Thanx guys!
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    green tea has been proven to help increase concentration. if you're worried about caffeine levels, don't be concerned with green tea as much - its caffeine is nowhere near as strong as coffee.

sleeping is extremely important, obviously.

sometimes just going out for a jog can wake you up - the neurotransmitters that are being emitted by your brain can get you pumped and ready for whatever's next.

honestly, a balanced diet is going to take you far on this one.
    but sleeping right with adequate hours (something i am so guilty of) is so necessary.
  • charleschip
    charleschip Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Besides life style changes (whole food, non processed foods, no fast food, beer, workout etc.) I use a multi-suppliment called Fatigued to Fantastic designed for CFS & Fibromyalgia and it has a lot for Hashi's folks like us (ex; selenium). It has made a huge difference in my world. It contains a good amount of vitamin D in it to. Dr Teitelbaum created it and he also has some other formulas if that is to much. Not saying it will work for you since we are all individuals with individuals needs but it has worked well for me. Here is a a link: https://secure.endfatigue.com/store/products/supplements/energy-citrus/ and I've copied the contents of what it contains below. Drawbacks are it's a bit hard to mix in water and takes several attempts mixing. I order it from iHerb.

Amount per Serving (1 Scoop)

Item Amount/Serving %DV
    Calories 60
    Total Fat 0.5 <1%**
    Cholesterol 10mg 3%**
    Total Carbohydrate 6g 2%**
    Dietary Fiber 2g 8%**
    Sugars 1g *
    Protein 6g 12%**
    Vitamin A (55% as beta carotene and as retinyl acetate) 4,500IU 90%
    Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) 750mg 1,250%
    Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 2,000IU 500%
    Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl acetate) 100IU 333%
    Vitamin K (as phytonadione) 100mcg 125%
    Thiamin (as thiamin HCl) (vitamin B1) 75mg 5,000%
    Riboflavin (vitamin B2) 75mg 4,412%
    Niacin (as niacinamide) 50mg 250%
    Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl) 85mg 4,250%
    Folic Acid 400mcg 100%
    Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin) 500mcg 8,333%
    Biotin 200mcg 67%
    Pantothenic Acid (as calcium D-pantothenate) 50mg 500%
    Calcium 100mg 10%
    Iodine (as potassium iodide) 200mcg 133%
    Magnesium (as magnesium glycinate) 200mg 50%
    Zinc (as zinc ascorbate) 15mg 100%
    Selenium (as L-selenomethionine) 55mcg 79%
    Copper (as copper gluconate) 500mcg 25%
    Manganese (as manganese citrate) 2mg 100%
    Chromium (as chromium picolinate) 200mcg 167%
    Molybdenum (as sodium molybdate) 125mcg 167%
    Sodium 20mg <1%
    Potassium (from whey protein, potassium citrate, guar gum, and potassium iodide) 55mg 2%
    Whey Protein (milk)** 7g *
    Malic Acid 1.2g *
    Betaine 750mg *
    Inositol 750mg *
    Inulin (from chicory root) 750mg *
    Taurine** 500mg *
    Glycine** 390mg *
    L-Tyrosine** 377mg *
    N-Acetylcysteine (NAC) 250mg *
    L-Serine** 240mg *
    Stevia (Stevia rebaudiana) Leaf Extract 15:1 107mg *
    Choline Bitartrate 100mg *
    Grape (Vitis vinifera) Seed Extract standardized to contain 95% polyphenols, including procyanidolic oligomers (PCOs) 50mg *
    Boron (as sodium borate) 2mg *

This product does not contain artificial flavoring, corn, gluten, preservatives, wheat & yeast. All colors used are from natural sources.

Notes

** Typical Amino Acid content per serving, including amounts for whey protein:
    L-Alanine 300 mg
    L-Arginine 145 mg
    L-Aspartic Acid 665 mg
    L-Cystine 65 mg
    L-Glutamic Acid 1,090 mg
    Glycine 500 mg
    L-Histidine 105 mg
    L-Isoleucine 350 mg
    L-Leucine 630 mg
    L-Lysine 550 mg
    L-Methionine 125 mg
    L-Phenylalanine 180 mg