SHORT GIRLS! I NEED YOUR HELP!

Options
Okay, I'm 5'1 at 139 lbs. I've been working out for the past 5 weeks and only lost 3 lbs. I eat pretty healthy and I do about 30 to 90 mins a day on cardio. I don't really weight myself too often but when I finally came around to it I was a little disappointed because, I would've thought that I lost more. I don't feel thinner just noticed that I can run a further distance at this point. My question is, am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Would help to open your diary too.
  • AmandaBiggs09
    AmandaBiggs09 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    are you measuring? I didn't lose any weight when I started running but lost 6 inches before I saw the scale move.
  • shawndinae
    shawndinae Posts: 7
    Options
    Oh well right now I'm trying this detox diet so it kind of looks ridiculous. :P http://theeatyourheartoutdiet.blogspot.com/ It's more of an experiment than trying to lose weight. I'm not sticking to hard to it cause, if I'm hungry I'll eat. But, my diet usually includes eating fruits & veggies. Occasionally chicken. I haven't measured myself but, I probably should start.
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    im 5'2"
    you're not doing anything wrong, it just takes time.
    how long have you been at this?

remember that it takes a full 4 weeks for yourself to notice your body changing.
    it takes time.

treat your body right and your body will start to look right.
  • RixxyRikaa
    RixxyRikaa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    hey! i'm 5' and 146! at school i would do about an hour of cardio too, but also do some weight training. more muscle to burn fat with, yeah? unfortunately i don't have the links right now but i did do some reading that observed weight training + cardio saw better results than cardio alone.
  • shawndinae
    Options
    Yeah I'm looking back at my food diary & seeing how my diet has fluxuated a lot. I was sick majority of the week 2 weeks ago & I was only eating about 500- 900 calories a day. Maybe my body is just trying to make up for that.
  • autumnrunning
    autumnrunning Posts: 103
    Options
    i'm about 5'1 and 127 pounds and i do cardio every other day, so far i've lost about 4 lbs in week and a half. i try to eat clean and stay under calorie goal here (1200 kcal) pretty much all the time. also i don't use up the extra calories i get from exercising/running.

i figure i don't need that many calories, because i'm short, when i first began i sometimes felt lightheaded in the morning and nauseous, but eating helps, try to find your balance or a system that works for you. if it's not working, change it, mix it up.

also drink water :)
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Muscles burn calories, so alternating a weight lifting regimen with your cardio would be the best thing you can do. You won't get bulky or anything like so many women are afraid of. In fact, doing that much cardio without resistance training is probably causing you to lose as much lean muscle as you are losing fat, sabotoging your weight loss. There's tons of threads on MFP and online about this, but here's one thread that might be helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/843085-the-truth-about-weight-training-vs-cardio?hl=resistance+training+vs+cardio&page=1#posts-12655770
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 myself. If you're not eating enough and doing a lot of cardio your body could be in shock and not want to let any "fat" go, or even worse burn the lean mass you have. I would suggest to take measurements, do some cardio, eat at least 1500 calories a day, and do strength training as well. When I hit a plateau eating more and weight lifting really helped to get me over it. Hope that helps hun and good luck. SHORTIES UNITE! :D
  • shawndinae
    Options
    I started weight training today actually. It is kind of hard to get into since I haven't really done it very much but, I see how it could be helpful. Thank you for the link, it is very helpful ^.^
  • shawndinae
    Options
    I just had an Ah-HA moment! I'm not doing any strength training!!!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I just had an Ah-HA moment! I'm not doing any strength training!!!!

No.. that will help yes but you aren't eating enough so just like someone before me said you really have to up your calories.
  • shawndinae
    Options
    Okay, eat more calories and do strength training in addition to cardio... Sounds good. So should I do like 45 mins of cardio & 45 mins of strength training daily?
  • bethaneyjayne
    Options
    Hi!
    I am 5'1 and 128 lbs, I weight train 4-5 times a week and do sprint sessions 1-2 times a week, I sit at a desk for work so I need to exercise or I'd go mad! I maintain my weight with 1500-1700 cals a day, but lose weight at 1450 or under, you need to go slow or your body will just want to hold on to its weight. Intense weight training can take you a long way, not only with shedding fat, but bringing out a better shape, I am pear shaped naturally, so building shoulder to become an hourglass shape is what I'm trying to do. good luck, you seem motivated so I'm sure you'll figure it out.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" also. I started working out about an hour a day too in January, mostly cardio (Insanity.) It took 2&1/2 weeks before the scale moved at all, but I was already noticeably losing inches (yay!) After the 3rd week I started losing about 1lb every week &1/2, so just keep at it. I think you're doing fine. :)
  • shawndinae
    Options
    I got so much more answers than I expected. Thanks everyone! :D I hope you all have a great night.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Oh, in response to your cardio & strength training question:
    Aim for about 30-45mins of cardio & strength takes about 20-30 minutes. If possible rotate muscle group days, for example: Monday & Wednesday do arms, Tuesday & Thursday do legs. There's a lot of variations you can do for length of time & how often, but generally it's a good idea to give a muscle group at least a day to repair & recover.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but I think 3 lbs in 5 weeks is pretty good for someone kind of on the already almost thin side, no?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I got so much more answers than I expected. Thanks everyone! :D I hope you all have a great night.

oh sorry i didn't know you were already set with answers. Gnite. and good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • somersault2
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Tthe pros recommend only losing 1-2 lbs/week if we want to keep it off. Also, we often gain muscle when we start exercising more. Check calories in vs calories burned daily if you want to expedite things. I think it's all about long term and lifesyles. I'm a 5'6" sportsy stocky guy and was freaked when i got up to 198lbs 2 years ago. Exercised more but only on and off and took 2 years to lose 20lbs I've been stuck at 180+- for months. I'm steppin up the process though and watching what i eat more, exercising more consistently and aiming for 1 lb/week loss. to get back to 160. Not too worried though as I am gradually and permanently changing my lifestyles and always moving forward and fitter.
    Good Luck !