Ive stopped losing weight.

I was able to lost 15 lbs just working out for two months, I dieted a little but ocadionally had what i wanted. Then about two weeks ago i went on a strict diet and lost 9 lbs in 6 days. I heard that if you lose that much it could be just your water weight. Im 24 lbs lighter and still on the strict diet but eating a lot of protein, about 60-150 g a day. In a week i didnt lose a single pound and that was with diet AND exercise. Should i stop eating protein? I just want a smallet waist and the only difference i see in my body is my legs. Id appreciate advice! Im 170lbs now and the heaviest I've ever been was 200. I want to be 150 which is normal for my height.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Weight loss isn't linear. You've lost a lot very quickly. You're going to sit there a while (and maybe your cells will take on some water). But if you keep it up, the weight will average out to a pound a week or whatever you're set to.
  • ToddsFitnessPal
    ToddsFitnessPal Posts: 9 Member
    don't do anything drastic. keep what your are doing for 3-4 weeks before coming to any further conclusions.

9 lbs in 6 days...is water weight.....then you said you didn't lose any.....so you probably did lose some...but also began to hold water again...which your body must do...

weight loss is slooooooooooowww. stick with it. I always find it happens in waves.....I lose 3 lbs...then nothing....two weeks later....stagnant...then 3 lbs....

The scale means nothing....water and waste in your body can fluctuate +/- 10 lbs. DO NOT TRUST THE SCALE.

Look in the mirror. Look for month-month changes.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    I was able to lost 15 lbs just working out for two months, I dieted a little but ocadionally had what i wanted. Then about two weeks ago i went on a strict diet and lost 9 lbs in 6 days. I heard that if you lose that much it could be just your water weight. Im 24 lbs lighter and still on the strict diet but eating a lot of protein, about 60-150 g a day. In a week i didnt lose a single pound and that was with diet AND exercise. Should i stop eating protein? I just want a smallet waist and the only difference i see in my body is my legs. Id appreciate advice! Im 170lbs now and the heaviest I've ever been was 200. I want to be 150 which is normal for my height.

What's a "strict" diet? Are you ate least eating your BMR?
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    I'm in the same place as you. I always seem to plateau around 200lbs.

I've learned a little by watching my wife lose weight after having a baby. She gained 60lbs carrying the baby and it took her a little over one year to lose all of it. There were plenty of times over that year where she wouldn't lose any weight for a month or so, but it always started back up eventually. She just stayed the course and it worked.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member

If you want a smaller waist, then do heavy lifting. Nothing gives a woman a teeny tiny waist and perky rear like lifting! ;-) Check out the MFP group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member

I think you are doing great! I cycle like this. I will lose weight for a few weeks and then go up a little one week and then I start losing again. I did not lose anything this week. I do get concerned but I have to realize I lost a lot in the last 6 weeks so it averages out fine. You will have to figure out how your body loses weight. Look at your average per week. That should tell you how you are losing. You aren't very heavy either so .5 to 1 lb a week is a great loss.
  • Thanks everyone for your replies, & my strict diet consisted of drinking a shake in the morning. It was made of a banana, strawberries, nutrition powder, water, and coconut milk. Then i would eat chicken in the afternoon with brocoli and at 6:00 pm id drink a special k protein shake rounding my calories up to about 1100. I drink about 4 bottles of water everyday.

Myfitnessplan says i can be 157 in 5 weeks so i will not step on the scale until another 2.5 weeks which is halfway there. I think i judt need to cut the habit of weighing myself so often.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    My suggestion is to eat back your exercise calories. Netting 1100 is really too low especially if you're active. MFP gives you a built in deficit to lose .5, 1, etc and by not eating your calories back you can make the deficit too large.
  • ragingmrs
    ragingmrs Posts: 34
    I have a few comments.

Especially if you are doing heavy exercise while dieting it is common to reach a plateau where you are gaining as much weight in muscle as you are losing in fat. Take your measurements and see what they say. When I lost weight through extreme exercise and diet I plateaued for 1 1/2 months before I saw the scale move but I was losing dress sizes.

Also if you are only eating 1100 calories a day and doing a lot of exercise you may be putting your body into starvation mode which makes it use fewer calories.

You can not completely judge your appropriate weight by what is average for your height or your BMI based on hight and weight. According to the BMI most professional athletes are morbidly obese, due to the weight of their muscle. So when you are determining your weight go by what looks healthy on you.

You also say you want a tiny waist. Do you have a curvy body or is it more lithe? If you have a curvy body then a tiny waist is possible but if you are more lithe you would need to work on muscle groups to give the impression of a small waist.
  • I am starting to slowly eat more calories, hopefully it helps me. Yes, i have a curvy body which is why my waist and arms are the only things i want to work on. I must have lost i think about 5 inches off my waist. I dropped two sizes in pants.

I want my waist size to be 30in.
  • aviator111
    aviator111 Posts: 8
    I find it strange that I can now perform vigorous exercise 5-times-a-week and not run out of energy, whilst living on 1500-1600cal a day (yet I burn approx 800-900 cal with the exercise). I manage to lose just 1lb-per-week tops with that regime. I drink buckets of water every day.

In the past if I'd not consumed 2500+cal I would have been a lump of jelly, yet I now consume less-than-half what I would normally have done (with the exercise) and certainly haven't gone into starvation mode. I used to make sure I did 'eat back' of the exercise calories, but I just hit a plateau doing that. The weirdest thing is not running out-of-energy, which would be indicative of 'starvation mode'.

I don't seem to replacing fat with muscle, but I'd expect to be losing 2-3lb per-week. Most of all I'd expect to be tired and lacking any energy if I consuming too few calories. Yet I feel perfectly fine.

I'd heard the tales of 'I diet like mad but can't lose weight' and always thought 'ah, you must be raiding the fridge and just aren't admitting to it' but now I do believe such stories. In theory I should be completely stuffed; simply not having enough calories to maintain health and vitality and do the exercise. Instead it might be that I am simply burning carbohydrates in a more efficient manner (a theory that I know has no scientific basis).

I'm also performing the althletes technique of making sure I don't eat anything after early evening, and then the next morning doing some vigorous exercise that should be guaranteed to burn fat (there being no carbs).

After my diet is finished (if it ever does) I can't imagine ever again eating 2500 cal-per-day.