Just strength training, no cardio?

Options
lma0423
lma0423 Posts: 78 Member
A few months ago I was counting calories and spinning for an hour about 4 to 5 times a week and not doing any strength training. I saw no results. I was eating back all of my calories though so this may have been the problem. So, I just started using the "You are your own gym" app and I love it!. Some of the things I have read by the author basically say cardio is pointless and actually is counter productive. So my question is, if I eat at a deficit and follow YAYOG 4 to 5 days a week, will I get toned and lose weight? I'm currently 170 and 5'6. When I started using MFP 2 years ago I was 200, I lost those 30 lbs 2 years ago strictly through diet and no exercise and have been able to keep it off.

So I'm basically asking should i incorporate cardio? If so, how much?

Replies

• lma0423
    Options
    bump :)
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to stimulate fat loss, LISS is optimal. Spinning presumably bumps your heart rate too fast to do that.

So yes do cardio, I do around 3-5 miles a day of LISS. That means slow jogging and walking around, so your muscles dont get fatigued when you lift afterwards. But its up to each person what their speed should be. (65-75% of your max heart rate).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do extra cardio, but you can if you like. Maybe a couple 30 min sessions a week, but its certainly not required.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I think some cardio is crucial. Try HIIT.. short and sweet. After your strength workout
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i would still chuck in some cardio, a walk makes for good active recovery or try some HIIT to change it up a bit.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    no it isn't required.

If you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight If you do resistance training, get adequate protein and the deficit is not too large then the majority of that weight should be fat.

If you are eating over your maintenance cals then you may need to do some cardio to create the deficit.
  • ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on cardio, feel free to correct me if my opinion is flawed.

Cardio is extremely important to overall fitness. Strength and muscle tone are nothing if you don't have the endurance to keep going. The trick to effective cardio is the pre-workout food intake. Loading up on complex carbs BEFORE you do cardio. This way you have the fuel to burn, as opposed to taking it from your body.

My routine now has become an alternating week schedule.
    Week 1- 4 days weights, 1 day cardio, 2 days off.
    Week 2- 3 days weights, 2 days cardio, 2 days off.

I still incorperate LIGHT cardio here and there even on weight days. Such as walking, or taking the kids swimming. These don't seem to be counterproductive but I log them and eat back, for the most part.

This is what works for me. Good luck.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I lift every day and do no cardio besides maybe walking to and from the gym (~1.5 mile round trip) if it's nice out. Cardio is optional.
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Toned is a matter of fat loss to show muscle underneath, progressive lifting program will retain muscle and in new lifters add some. Almost all my progress has been from lifting/resistance training. I still do cardio it's limited to 60-90 min/week. Cardio is good for cardiovascular health and that part is important to me so I do it. However like it was said before, if you are in a deficit with adequate nutrition and lifting you will lose fat. Cardio is not needed to succeed.
  • sadrac4683
    sadrac4683 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Like everyones post
  • lma0423
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm considering getting a cruiser bike, so I think this will give me this little bit of cardio I need.
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on cardio, feel free to correct me if my opinion is flawed.

Cardio is extremely important to overall fitness. Strength and muscle tone are nothing if you don't have the endurance to keep going. The trick to effective cardio is the pre-workout food intake. Loading up on complex carbs BEFORE you do cardio. This way you have the fuel to burn, as opposed to taking it from your body.

My routine now has become an alternating week schedule.
    Week 1- 4 days weights, 1 day cardio, 2 days off.
    Week 2- 3 days weights, 2 days cardio, 2 days off.

I still incorperate LIGHT cardio here and there even on weight days. Such as walking, or taking the kids swimming. These don't seem to be counterproductive but I log them and eat back, for the most part.

This is what works for me. Good luck.

Or do Keto :) !
  • Jimmygymgym
    Jimmygymgym Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So why do you have to eat carbs before doing cardio? I'm obese. Won't my body burn the fat as fuel?

I'm not disagreeing; I'm just wondering about the physiology.
  • ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I was only speaking to what works for me. Absolutely if you are "obese" then your body will burn fat as fuel. If you are not, it will burn fat and muscle, thereby working against your progress in weight training. I just use cardio to keep the endurance up now. I was using cardio a lot, to drop a lot of the body fat that I had on me. Now that I'm comfortable with my level, I use my current system.