Simple Lunches

Options
kristennwinter
kristennwinter Posts: 100 Member
Hey Guys.
I'm looking for some simple lunches that I can make on my lunch break. I typically get 1-1.5 hours for lunch, for which I come home and try to make something fast before having to go back to work again. Lately I have been just popping some chicken nuggets in the oven, or having a pb+j, but I want to find something healthier and keeps me full! :)

If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be great :D

Replies

• tavales
    tavales Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi Kristen,

You can try chicken tenderloins instead of the nuggets to cut back on calories, you can cut them up into a salad or have veggies as a side dish. But if you really like your nuggets then just add some veggies as a side or a salad. If you just want to have a sandwich then you can get lunch meats that you like and have a side salad or veggies and a hummus or veggie dip. Having an abundance of veggies with your meals should help you stay full. Are you having any snacks throughout the day? Hope this helps and good luck on your journey to being healthier and feeling your best.
  • cmcoyle776
    cmcoyle776 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I rotate between a big salad or a hearty sandwich.

Baby spinach + tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, and either a hard boiled egg, 2 oz of grilled chicken, or 2 oz sliced turkey breast + feta cheese, and I make my own dressing or use Maple Grove Farms Raspberry vinaigrette.

Ezekiel 4:9 Bread (it's high protein fills me up) + sliced turkey breast, baby spinach leaves, avocado (mashed onto the bread, instead of mayo), cucumbers, tomatoes & a slice of light cheese.

Chicken salad (I make mine w/ plain Greek yogurt & honey instead of mayo) & chopped apples or grapes & a sprinkle of whatver chopped nuts I have on hand. Eat it on Triscuits or pita bread.

Tuna Salad (I use a tiny bit of mayo), shredded carrots, chopped pickle & I eat it on pita bread with baby spinach & tomato slices.
  • mssunshine_7
    mssunshine_7 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bump thanks
  • netner
    netner Posts: 8
    Options
    Oscar Meyer Turkey Franks are good too! Their 90 calories each. I normally have 2 with mustard and onion, but no bread.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I was going to mention Turkey Franks too.

How about making extra the night before and eating it for lunch.

Cereal would be a quick lunch. with some fruit and yogurt.
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat the same lunch just about every day, and even though it's kind of boring, it's super healthy and filling! 4oz baked chicken breast, one large sweet potato (cooked in the microwave for 5-6 minutes), and 3/4 cup brown rice. I make a big batch of brown rice on Sunday nights and pack it for lunches throughout the week. Same thing with the baked chicken.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Shameless plug (sorry!) but my food diary blog might give you some ideas - ameliasfooddiary.wordpress.com :)

Ax
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread as I was looking for some alternative healthy simple lunches. Thanks! :)
  • papillon71
    papillon71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I buy pre-cooked fresh chicken breast slices, some chicken breast (I do about 120g), half a bag of mixed salad leaves, whatever other salad you want to toss in and some low fat salad dressing like Caesar or another fav, most of these lunches for me come out at under 200 cals easily and I make a MASSIVE BOWL for myself. Sometimes I will do a mixed plate, like low fat cheese, some lean ham, some low fat Ryvita crackers, a piece of fruit and put it on a plate, it's tasty and no effort and not a lot of calories.

Soups (low sodium ones) are good too, either home made or bought.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My sister recently moved in with the Hubby and me, and has taken a liking to making my lunches for work. She's started putting two different kinds of Greek yogurt in a Tupperware container, mixing it, and putting fresh fruit in there. It's great! She'll also sometimes just use the vanilla kind, but the mixes are the best. I love it, it's great and keeps me full for the rest of the day.

I will also set aside some of whatever I make for dinner so I can take to work with me the following day for lunch.