Exercise with piercings

Options
I have a belly button ring and anytime I remove it for exercise several days in a row it ends up infected, but if I leave it in it still gets infected. I've heard of buying a "maternity ring" for exercise, but I'd rather not have to hunt for and buy one. Does anyone have any information I could use?

Replies

• BetterVersion
    Options
    I guess I don't understand why you remove it...??? I have a bunch of piercings and never remove any of them for any reason other than to clean them...

If you're thinking the sweat infects it, it shouldn't, but if you really wanna be cautious simply wash it afterwards.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If it's "infected" from exercise, it's probably just irritated... if I don't make sure I rinse the shampoo & conditioner off my ear, my cartilage piercing will blow up and get *****. Is that what you're talking about? As soon as I started getting diligent about rinsing, it went away. Just make sure you're cleaning your belly button really well when you shower 'cause it could just be getting irritated from the sweat if it's building up in there. Even a little bit makes a big difference so try that out. Don't take it out.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    By putting it in and taking it out I think you're causing it to get infected. Leave it in, don't bother it unless you're gonna clean it.

http://www.ehow.com/i/#article_4532906
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem with my belly ring in the 10 years i have had it. Not sure why you would take it out to exercise. I never take mine out and the only time i did was when i was pregnant( have a 27 month old and a 4.5 year old) and even then i put in a pregnancy piercing, again with no problems at all, not sure how or why t would get infected Not sure what to tell you, except maybe it is the type of "metal" it is. Is it surgical steel? IF it is it shouldn't bother you at all. I am interested to see what others have to say though. Sorry i wasn't much help. Hope you find an answer
  • Briannah
    Briannah Posts: 50
    Options
    I've had several piercing (and healing tatoos) while exercising and never removed any of them. It is probably getting infected because you keep removing it. It is really unneccesary. I can comfortably use the rower and do sit ups with my piercing in... if you are worried about tight clothing, try wearing a supportive sports bra and a loose shirt over the top.
  • SemiSweetRae
    Options
    Every one here is right. You shouldn't be taking it in and out. A navel piercing takes about a year to completely heal and in the time you should really leave it alone as much as possible. If feel as though it has a deep infection then you need to make chamomile tea, use the warm tea bags and put them on your navel. This will help draw out the infection and soothe irritation. Because you probably have some "leakage", what's happening is every time you take the piercing out the dry crustys are being pulled through the already irritated hole. This just leads to more irritation.

The second thing you should do is get a cup of warm salt water (non-iodized) and soak a cotton ball in it. Then apply the cotton ball to your piercing. As stated in another post, you should only be utilizing at a MINIMUM implant grade surgical stainless steel, Do not use any jewelry that has acrylic pieces or a maternity barbell (they are a long piece of acrylic) This type of jewelry is only ok to wear in a well healed piercing. They can actually harbor infections otherwise.

Do not put ointments on it, remove it, pick at the scabs etc...you really shouldn't even use soap on it as it leaves a film that can also cause irritation. Typically a nice warm shower, and the two methods listed above will help your piercing to heal. If you feel as though you really have a bad infection you need to consult a local but REPUTABLE piercer.