Body building, protein/nutrition &supplements. Advice?

Options
Okay, I have been on MFP for a little over a hundred days. I've learned how to maintain a balanced diet. I very rarely will binge eat anymore. I have changed what I eat as well. I'm cooking more than ever. I get this. I believe I have my nutrition down, but I know there is this whole world of supplements, and protein powders to help with my transformation. I have been doing plenty of cardio. I run, cycle, swim, P90x at times, but I haven't really been doing enough strength training. I have seen some people achieve amazing results by doing some really heavy lifting. How does one go about preparing for this? Can anyone give good advice on some good supplements, and protein intake? I'm not vegetarian, so I'm open to anything. Thanks in advance. I really want to crank the volume up to 11 on this one. I have a workout partner that is willing to workout at 6:30 am Mon through Fri and get serious with this.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    you dont need any kind of supplement. Protein supplements are there for days you can't hit your protein goals with real food. Eat more meat. get 30% of your calories (at least) from proteins.

me? I'll take a tub of cottage cheese over a protein shake any time I can.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i TOTALLY agree with welbert on this one..MOST days i hit 110g protein pretty easilly and i am on 1200 cals a day! :bigsmile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Caffein
    Fish oil
    Multivitamin

www.stronglifts.com
    Download the report and follow it to the letter.
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    You shouldn't really need any kind of special (creatine, etc) supplement at this stage.

Regular protein powder would be fine if you were doing shakes, etc. Just be careful with liquid consumption as it is very easy to down a lot of calories fairly quickly.

There are a few different types of protein powder out there. Whey and Soy are the two most popular. Ultrafiltered, isolates, all kinds.

It is easy to say one kind has its merits over another, etc but it's really something to do some research in and pick what works for you. In the supplement world there is a LOT of hype out there. It is a billion dollar market afterall.

Bodybuilding.com has an extensive base to start with in regards to supplements... but really just starting out, a good protein base is all you need if you are building.

Just remember to take breaks. Tissue repair is a minimum 24-48 hours with standard lifting. Give a little extra on super heavy days.

Most people use a supplement for rapid absorption, something whole food generally does not give quick enough. Like I said before, it is really something to research and make an informed decision on. You'll find studies going one way or another.
    It is all dependent on your overall diet and exercise platforms.

There is one thing constant though, you need more protein if you are heavy into anaerobic activity.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm not afraid to eat high amount of meat. I hear it sure tastes better than protein shakes.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    I'm not encouraging you to take supplements but this is my supplement list that I take:
    Craze (Preworkout)
    Trutein (Whey Protein)
    Creature (Creatine)
    NOW Fish Oils
    CL Orange Triad (Multivitamin)

Preworkout is just something I like to use to get my focus in at the gym and it has caffeine which gives me that extra jolt at the gym. Whey protein which I take after every workout, Creatine is not necessary but I wanted to try it out and it has helped me alot on my lifts. Fishoils and Multivitamin I don't really need to explain.

Start light, learn proper form, and move up weight when you feel that the current weight is too light. If you're doing strength training would recommend doing up to 6-8 reps at heavy weights but once you get the proper form down of course. Get a spotter!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are in the early stages of your process, you do not need any supplements or exotic proteins. Being consistent and working with proper form will give you 20x the benefit that any supplement (even the rare one that does work) can at this point. Once you have reached about 95% of your genetic potential, it might be time to consider something extra, but that's a ways off.

The supplement industry exists primarily to offer "solutions" in search of problems.
  • bdoug1234
    bdoug1234 Posts: 28
    Options
    40/40/20 is a good % mix for Protein carbs and fats.. As for other supplements a good multivitamin is probably all you need.. 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight is a good range.. Whey protein is the most common and derived from milk... Cottage cheese (same source) but not as convenient. bodybuulding.com is a great site but funded by supplement companies..lots of great info there