Any bipolar friends out there trying to lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Doctor put me on Depakote, but a: they're the size of horse tranquilizers and I found them really hard to take, and b: the side effects list is longer than my arm, and c: after seeing what happened to my friends wife who gained 60lbs in a matter of months, I decided I was going to boss it out without them, probably something I should have consulted with the doctor about.

I manage mine with daily exercise now, haven't taken a tablet in years, and only suffered maybe two very short episodes in the last three years.
  • vegantriathlete
    vegantriathlete Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been on citalopram (celexa) for about 5 years because of anxiety and depression, but then I was diagnosed with Bipolar II as the mania progressively got worse. I'm now on lamotragine and celexa. About a year ago we increased by citalopram. Combine that with a lack of training (I'm a runner and triathlete) and seriously stressful situations, and voila... 10 pounds gained. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but I've never in my life been so heavy or so unmotivated. My clothes don't fit and it makes me feel worse! I'm in this negative cycle and just want to get out of it. I'm looking first to stability in my life (I recently moved to a small town from a city, with my boyfriend and his two teenage kids) so I need time to adjust and just started a new job. Hopefully in time I'll get my motivation back and lose some of this weight!
    Cheers,
    Crystal