What do diet pills actually do?

Options
Look; first of all; don't lecture me. Do not, i didn't say i want to use them. I'm just réally curious about what they do.
Like, you always hear; "they're bad they're bad they don't work" or exactly the opposite. All i get out of it: you lose weight or do not.. Is there ANYONE that knows what's in it and what it does?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    They empty your pockets
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Clever.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Many of them have ingredients, or claim to have ingredients that will apparently detox or help boost metabolism. 99% of diet pills have not been clinically tested, and the ones that claim they have cite findings from trials done on similar pills over 50 years ago.

Rather than pay for a bunch of chemicals, or active ingredients you could get in your regular diet, you can exercise which boosts your metabolism with immediate effect (some tablets take two weeks to work apparently), and drink more water and eat more vegetables and fruit, giving you the detox.

Also, diet pills are supposed to be take in conjunction with diet and exercise. If you took them and lose weight, what is it attributed to? The pills, or the effort you put in?
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Depends on the pill, generally they're just caffeine pills or diuretics mixed with hopes, dreams, and unregulated herb concoctions.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've used them and will never use them again :noway:

yes you loss weight

once you stop you pack it all back on and then some more

they messed up my system really bad and years later still not right, don't sleep well, my body doesn't know when i'm full or if I am hungry or thirsty and the list goes on

I hope this helps
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Normally a substance that has properties that effects weight loss in a scientific but impractical sense is then taken out of context in a dose that is meaningless in a segment of nutrition that is not regulated, then adhering to the principal that a sucker is born every minute, takes advantage of that principal knowing full people will buy it even in the face of research that contradicts that promise.........Basically bullshyt baffles brains.:wink:
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    If you are asking about prescription diet pills, that's easy...... they are pretty much legalized speed. OTC stuff and suppliments? Who knows what's in those, but I've never heard anyone say they actually work, especially long term. They really are a waste of money. Eating healthy and losing weight is hard, and we all want that "magic pill", they just haven't come out with it yet.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    The only thing they have in common is that they empty out your wallet. That is all.

There are some that suppress your hunger or attempt to. Some try to just push the water weight out. Some give you energy, making you think you're not hungry etc. In the end, none of them work
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Look; first of all; don't lecture me. Do not, i didn't say i want to use them. I'm just réally curious about what they do.
    Like, you always hear; "they're bad they're bad they don't work" or exactly the opposite. All i get out of it: you lose weight or do not.. Is there ANYONE that knows what's in it and what it does?

there is only like 5000 different brands out there so unless you are asking about a specific one this is a pretty useless request...

Like someone else said t he only thing that diet pills do is empty your pocket. My understanding is they mainly flush water from your system and all the weight is water loss, which is why when people stop them, they gain about four pounds back in water weight..

eat in a deficit and work out will always be better then some random diet pill....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    oh and instead of posting a thread you could always research them on your own ...you know, pick something up and read it ...that way you can avoid having your thread dive bombed....
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    thats a really good question. And one that will have too many answers, some more pleasant that others
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Some like Orlistat (Xenical, Alli) are lipase inhibitors. Some people call them fat blockers, but they don't actually "block" fat, it just keeps it from breaking down into smaller parts so that it can't be abosorbed by your GI tract. Others are diuretics (lose water weight, risk dehydration) and others are stimulants (increased heart rate, blood pressure). Most of these over the counter products are not regulated by the FDA (because they are considered "supplements") and do not carry the rigorous testing required by other drugs. This also means that a lot of adverse effects go unreported.
  • lisagregory01
    lisagregory01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I took Adipex once. One pill a day made me completely loose my appetite. I don't know how many calories I was eating but I bet is was 800 or less. I just didn't want food. I did loose weight! If only I knew then what I know now about diet and exercise I would have worked harder to keep it off. That said, they are dangerous. I wasn't being supervised by a doctor and now that I am 50 I don't think I would try it again.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

I have been taking Adipex (not daily, just a few times a week). It keeps you from being hungry and makes you incredibly thirsty. Helps me with portion control and to drink my daily water requirement.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Depends what pills you take. The majority of them will contain caffine as it can help suppress your appetite, but you will get the same effect from drinking a cup of coffee. Others are diuretics, so they make you go to the toilet a lot and therefore lose a lot of water, giving you the impression that they work.

There is a reason they all say 'to be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise'. There's no miracle worker pill.
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options
    They empty your pockets

hehehe this^^
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Thanks xD. I was just wondering since my friends talk about them. They use this brand from my local store called Kruidvat and it literally says 'slimming pil'. The back describes thats its a mix of spices that will help you lose or something..
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    They do work, for a while. But they stop working after a few months.

They give you energy and they take away your hunger pains.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I think the ones you can get from your Doctor can help someone who is obesed jump start weight loss. Meaning control the hunger until you have lost some weight. But the pill is only a TOOL the work has to be done. Eating right and working out. That is still the real answer.
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    kill baby seals