first half marathon

Options
So I am running my first half marathon in a month....I been training, ran 9 miles this AM

When I was in Afghanistan back in 2010 I would run 10 miles once a week (5 miles on other days-- 3 or 4 days a week) and I lifted weights 5 days a week for 40 minutes a pop...so I think a half marathon is do-able with my fitness base ....typivally before signing for the marathon I would run 6 miles at least 2 times per week

Now I am running 4 or 5 days a week, 45 mins to 1hr 15 mins a pop and lifting 4 days a week an hour a pop

Usually I run Mon- Friday AM and lift afternoon or evening (giving body a slight rest from the running), w/ Friday being a lighter run and then in the evening on Friday do leg exercises...then rest for Sat & Sun (just hitting weights for an hour Sunday, no running Sunday)

question: my squats / legs --defintely stagnated, but I am sure they are getting stronger with running

should I cut back on weights until after the marathon? just cut leg exercises? other thoughts?

Replies

• EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    what exactly is your goal for your first half?
    Is it simply to just finish?--- then don't cut back on your usual training regime.
    Is it to finish with a certain goal time?-- cut back on the training 2 days before the race day and let your muscles settle and enjoy your run.

Either way, way to do a 1/2 marathon. Enjoy all moments. Get that finishing medal.
  • rob_base
    rob_base Posts: 97
    Options
    Ellais, thanks for the reply

My goal is to do the half marathon in 1hr 45 minutes to an 1 hr 50 mins or so

today I ran 9 miles at a 8:16 mile pace (some hills too)
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what my trainer told me when I was training for my first HM and lifting - "You need to cut back on the weights toward the end of your HM training when getting into the long distances. Rest days are part of your training too so have a rest day".
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You need to not run so much during the week. 45 min a day is too much honestly. I didn't have a running base and I trained for and ran my first half in nov last year, and my second a month later. Also, with running you are LEANING out your leg muscles. Your body is trying to become more efficient as you run so much, so your legs are not necessarily building muscle, but they are getting longer/leaner so that you use less energy when you run. (note: I lost my butt while I was training for my half's -- Not an ounce lost on the scale, but the shape of my muscles changed - they leaned out!)
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what my trainer told me when I was training for my first HM and lifting - "You need to cut back on the weights toward the end of your HM training when getting into the long distances. Rest days are part of your training too so have a rest day".

Great reply!
    long distance adds more stress on your lower legs (if there are hills as you mentioned then your quads... yeah)...
    however you don't need to stop lifting entirely.
    Some runners could actually use a weight lifting schedule.
    The best advice is your rest days if you are doing weight training and running.
    maybe have a recovery day (where you do light running) and keep up the rest on the weekends.

Also, since you're shooting for a time DEFINITIVELY do fartlek training.
    Intervals are also great for speed, but for long distance, fartlek training will push you over that acid burn (if you get it in the 1/2).
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You need to not run so much during the week. 45 min a day is too much honestly.

Says who?

There is no "one size fits all" solution for running. For me and my running goals, 45 minutes per day is too little, honestly.

OP, for the last 4 weeks I would cut back on the leg strength training to allow the muscles to recover. You aren't going to lose much (if any) strength, but it will have big impact on your half marathon performance.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Also, since you're shooting for a time DEFINITIVELY do fartlek training.
    Intervals are also great for speed, but for long distance, fartlek training will push you over that acid burn (if you get it in the 1/2).

Fartlek, which translates loosely to "speed play" can take on many shapes and forms, some of which are beneficial to HM training, others which are detrimental. For example, doing 10x200meters at mile race pace is a fartlek, but not a workout that I would suggest for HM training. 6x4:00@LT pace is a fartlek too, and a good workout for HM training. It can also just be very unstructured, going out for a run and running faster for a while, then slower. But what you get with a lack of structure is a lack of focus on the goal at hand.

I'm also baffled by the statement "fartlek training will push you over that acid burn (if you get it in the 1/2)."
  • rob_base
    Options
    This week I ran 4 miles Monday & worked back, 8 miles Tuesday & did chest, Weds totally off (everything), today- ran 9 miles and plan to work legs later today (I have a weekend trip planned), tomorrow I plan to run 5 miles (no weights), Saturday- totally off, Sunday just weights (chest)

The prior week I ran 6.4 miles Monday and worked back, 6.6 miles & no weights Tues, 7.8 miles & chest Weds, 7.4 miles & leg exercises Thurs , and 4.5 miles& no weights Friday, Saturday off, Sunday weights only: shoulders bis & tris
  • rob_base
    Options
    anyone else?
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    You sound like you had/have a very good athletic base. When I trained for my first half I had been lifting weights for a year (lost 50 lbs) but was not doing ANY cardio. So when I started running I stopped lifting completely (had this great fear I would hurt myself) I gained some weight back. After my first half I started training for my second half, I added some weights back in. With the training for my 3rd I tried to lift weights at least once a week. And my time and performace improved greatly. I believe lifting is very important to running, but you don't want to over do it. But that means something to different to everyone. I could probably handle lifiting weights once or twice a week during peak running training (but have more issues with time then ability). Others might be able to lift every day. I would suggest, watching how you feel. You seem to be working out a lot, but if you aren't tired or sore, then you are probably fine. I would recomemned like one of the other posters, you need 1 day off completely (yes it is hard! but have one rest day, no weights no running) other than that, I might suggest lifting slightly less when you get to the peak of training (about a month out from your half)