losing inches but no weightloss

Options
I noticed that I lost 1 inch from all part of my body for the last 2 weeks. But when I go up the scale nothing changes. it's the same weight !

It's little bit disappointing for me because I'm really suffering I take not more than 1400 calories a day. I breastfeed my 9 month baby and I exercise 5 times a wee (Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred ) . I go for walks sometimes.
And this thing ruined my weekend last week I didn't count calories and ate too much junk food :( !

How can I lose weight and inches together ?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Inches off = smaller clothes and a noticable difference. Lower scale weight may not = smaller or looser clothes, and no one can see what your scale says but you. :tongue: Inches lost for the WIN!

Give it time, the scale will catch up at some point, but a loss on the scale can be water weight, time of the month (as in not that "time" of the month), anything, but a loss in inches is a pretty solid fat loss.

Don't put too much stock in what the scale says, it's a fickle thing. Keep measuring, take progress photos, and have patience. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why are you so obsessed with a number on the scale? Inches are what is actually important. Scale weight is representative of numerous things...yes, fat...but also water, waste, food in your belly, liquid in your belly, muscle, etc. Scale weight tells about a small fraction of the whole story.

I'm currently at maintenance and not losing any weight on the scale...but I continue to lean out. I've dropped 2% BF and about 1/2 inch or so on the waist in the past couple of months while remaining 180ish on the scale. Stop obsessing about the silly number on the scale.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Yep same here. Just finished Insanity and only lost 5 pounds. BUT.... tried on my summer clothes from last last year and they are too big.. That's a win for me. Like someone else said. you are the only one who sees the scale. but everyone sees you...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's probably because you aren't eating enough. A mother who breastfeeds needs an additional 300-500 calories. And if you are doing 30DS, you need another 150-300 calories from that. I would probably suggest upping your calories. Right now your body is probably fighting you and adding water to prevent weight loss.

Considering you have 20 lbs to lose, I would set your account to 1 lb per week and lightly active as a base. And if you breastfeed, add another 300-500 calories and when you exercise add another 200 calories. More than likely, you need 2000+ calories currently.
  • HudaSaman
    HudaSaman Posts: 46
    Options
    It's probably because you aren't eating enough. A mother who breastfeeds needs an additional 300-500 calories. And if you are doing 30DS, you need another 150-300 calories from that. I would probably suggest upping your calories. Right now your body is probably fighting you and adding water to prevent weight loss.

Considering you have 20 lbs to lose, I would set your account to 1 lb per week and lightly active as a base. And if you breastfeed, add another 300-500 calories and when you exercise add another 200 calories. More than likely, you need 2000+ calories currently.

Actually since I started with MFP I did not lose weight, I used to count my calories by myself before and I lost 4 pounds in 4 weeks. that was from 3/19 to 4/9.
    Then I joined MFP I set my account to 1 lb per week and my calories goal was 1350 per day. Since then I'm stuck with my current weight, I lost 2 pounds but they disappeared after few days. I am not tall 5'2 and I spend my whole day with kids, housekeeping, exercising lightly, some days I go for walks for 30 minutes. I have been thinking too much about my calories intake.

Maybe if I start ignoring the dairy food here and go back to eating balanced food with counting calories by my own. adding some more if I feel I need so I will work again !

I know that it's better focusing on measurements if I want to lose fat and build muscles, and I did notice that my clothes are getting looser .. but I would feel proud if I dropped some weight too.
  • harshman
    harshman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are letting the scale win. That's the biggest problem. You can't control that scale- there are too many variables to weight. If every time you have a disappointing weight/inches/exercise week, you punish yourself by overindulging- you just gave up the only control you have... what you put in your mouth and how many (miles, minutes, reps) you exercise.

You are doing the right things- eating right, exercising. That is the point, not the number. You are seeing results- they may not be the results you want, but you are getting results.

Chin up, put your big girl pants on, and keep on keeping on.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    BF'ing is so great for babies!!!! It sucks butt for moms like me!!!! And it sounds like you too=( I breastfed all of my 4 kids for 12-24months and I personally didn't lose a pound until I weaned them! All of the baby weight just fell off when I did. Well except the last one I think that's my age. But be happy that you are losing inches. Just keep doing what you are doing and I promise it will come off if the inches are. It sounds like it is a combination of a couple of things. You are turning fat into muscle and your body is not really wanting to give up those fat stores it has built up to protect your breastfeeding. No it wont make you happy but know that there is an end to it
  • HudaSaman
    Options
    Thank you all for giving me time and information that really help me.. I'm thinking of modifying my plan now by exercising more and eating healthy with counting calories but also not going to low in calories goal..
    Hopefully the upcoming weeks I may see more satisfied results.

and I will throw the scale away for couple of weeks .. because It does put me under pressure and always let me down.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Actually since I started with MFP I did not lose weight, I used to count my calories by myself before and I lost 4 pounds in 4 weeks. that was from 3/19 to 4/9.
    Then I joined MFP I set my account to 1 lb per week and my calories goal was 1350 per day. Since then I'm stuck with my current weight, I lost 2 pounds but they disappeared after few days. I am not tall 5'2 and I spend my whole day with kids, housekeeping, exercising lightly, some days I go for walks for 30 minutes. I have been thinking too much about my calories intake.

Maybe if I start ignoring the dairy food here and go back to eating balanced food with counting calories by my own. adding some more if I feel I need so I will work again !

I know that it's better focusing on measurements if I want to lose fat and build muscles, and I did notice that my clothes are getting looser .. but I would feel proud if I dropped some weight too.

I am failing to see your point. People who are 5'2, breast feeding and very active still need a lot of calories. You probably did better when you weren't track because you were getting enough calories. So you have your account set to 1 lb per week, but do you have it set at lightly active? Also, look in the exercise database and you will see breastfeeding will add additional calories. And the way MFP is set up, you eat back exercise calories. Are you doing that or are you assuming because you are 5'2 that you can't eat a lot of calories?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Embrace the Non-scale victories of life. When the scale is being difficult consider the inches lost as progress. I can lose 10 lbs and not go down a pant size, but lose a few inches (whether pounds or not) and I'll be in a size 22 comfortably.

Congratulations on your loss!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem I wont lose any actual weight but do I ever lose inches eventually though the scale does move Just keep it up and don't let the scale get you down.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!

Toss the scale.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a blushing bride waiting for your groom to carry you across the threshold, it doesn't matter how much you weigh, does it? What matters is how much muscle and fat is on your bones. Count your loss of girth as a victory.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    The weight numbers dont matter as much as the inches. Your body is toning and shaping up! GOOD FOR YOU!! Keep doing what you are doing and you will have to buy new clothes soon!!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Please look after your baby first. ie: EAT ENOUGH, especially lots of healthy fats. Your baby's brain development (and all aspects of health) depends on it.

If you are getting smaller you ARE losing weight. If the number on the scale is an obsession and/or distresses you, get rid of the scale.

Please consider getting a healthy mindset for your child. I was raised (from birth to age 7, then from 14-adult) by a mother who was obsessed with weight, was always dieting and had a very poor body image. She destroyed her health with dieting, and then I followed her example. That was NOT a healthy environment at all and I'm working hard not to do that to my daughter. And all that dieting? It NEVER worked in the long run and I NEVER felt good about myself no matter what I saw in the mirror.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have lost 12.5cms since my last measure up mainly in the hips, waist, arms and thighs - None in the bust area and I still weight the same.
  • HudaSaman
    Options

I am failing to see your point. People who are 5'2, breast feeding and very active still need a lot of calories. You probably did better when you weren't track because you were getting enough calories. So you have your account set to 1 lb per week, but do you have it set at lightly active? Also, look in the exercise database and you will see breastfeeding will add additional calories. And the way MFP is set up, you eat back exercise calories. Are you doing that or are you assuming because you are 5'2 that you can't eat a lot of calories?

Yes I have my account is set at lightly active this is what I think I am .. but I have three kids and I'm always running so I have to change it to active. but I did not find breastfeeding in exercising database.

I really do not understand that thing of eating back the exercising calories. I probably have to search about it to see if I am setting my account realistically .

Thanks for helping :)
  • HudaSaman
    Options
    Thank you everyone for encouraging me .. you are so nice :) Now I feel much better.. :flowerforyou:
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Sorry breast feeding is in the food database not the exercise one. If you use the search button you will find hundreds of topics that discuss both exercise calories and breast feeding.
  • availles
    availles Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Huda,
    Don't worry, you are living a healthy lifestyle which is the most important thing. When I had my first I was discouraged all the time.When I used my tracker (fitbugorb) I had more focus and it helped me to lose weight and keep it off.