Carb questions!!

stv1520
stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
I'm wondering what convenient foods are good sources of carbs. Reason I'm asking is that I'm on a high-protein diet, with little carbs, and my weight loss has been steady. However, I had a hockey game the other night and felt light-headed quite a few times, and had ZERO energy. It was awful. I looked at my diary for that day and it was pretty weak. An egg mcmuffin for breakfast, some protein bars during the day, a bit of beef jerky, a small sald with italian dressing, a protein shake and a can of sardines. Plus lots of water. So--I'm thinking for game days I should take in more carbs for energy later. Just don't want to eat a heavy pasta meal or anything. Suggestions??

Replies

• maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    fruits and veggies!!!!!!!!!
  • simmonsk4
    simmonsk4 Posts: 5 Member
    Try to get in your carbohydrates about 3 hours before your game. A small sweet potato would be a great choice and you can even cook them quickly in the microwave. A package of instant oatmeal could work very well, and since you are also going high protein, throw a scoop of your protein powder in there with some sliced fruit. If you don't mind paying a little more, purchase Ezekiel bread, found in the frozen food aisle generally, and then you can add some peanut butter to that (just be careful how much).
  • fitnessmare
    fitnessmare Posts: 117
    A piece of whole grain bread with peanut butter. I find it easy to make and just take along and eat on the way to wherever I'm going.

A banana.

Pretzels.

Yogurt.

Just a side note: Make sure to eat some carbs. You don't want to get gout.
  • simmonsk4
    simmonsk4 Posts: 5 Member
    And stay away from the simple sugars, you'll be dead tired before the end of the first period.
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Thanks a bunch for the suggestions!!
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    starchy veggies -
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Natural carbs found in fruit and veggies.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    And stay away from the simple sugars, you'll be dead tired before the end of the first period.
    Maybe inform all the runners and bikers....I guess they been doing it wrong.