Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Protein vs Carbs? Or just simple calories?

So for my whole life, I have dismissed all 'fad' diets which tell you to cut down on carbs and eat more protein. I thought that calories were calories and it didn't matter what they were made up from.... until today. Now I am starting to doubt my own 'a calorie is a calorie' mantra.

I eat the same number of calories every day (plus or minus 50) and I pay no attention to how those calories are made up. Then I joined my MFP very recently which automatically gives a % breakdown of protein, fat and carbs.

As I am getting closer to my goal weight, I hadn't lost any weight for 10 days leading up to joining MFP. Then yesterday, by chance, I ate 35% protein (usually I average out at 15% protein) and today, hey presto, I am down a pound.

I know it is way too early and don't want to jump to conclusions because it is only one pound (which could be water weight etc) but I found it interesting.

Has anyone else discovered that eating more protein (but the same number of total calories) has aided their weight loss?

Replies

• dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    I eat loads of carbs and have no issue keeping the weight off. I feel that is all about what you do with those carbs though – cycling +45 miles everyday tends to help!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    In terms of weight loss, calories are all that matters. It does no good to eat x g of protein per day if you are eating too many calories. But protein is critical if you want to retain lean mass and ensure you are losing fat and not muscle. Eating more protein one day isn't going to cause you to lose more weight, but eating the proper amount of protein (and doing some strength training) will keep your muscle loss to a minimum, so it's definitely something you need to pay attention to.
  • jmejiaa
    jmejiaa Posts: 21
    When it comes down to the basics it will always be calories in vs calories out for weight loss. The fad diets work not because of what you're eating but because of what it restricts and overall deficit. For example low carb diets have you eating high fat/protein and keep you super full, so you don't overeat.

Anyway, I wouldn't count this towards upping carbs yet. A lb could have been a anything from water to a poop you just made. What you can do is experiment and see what happens, give it a week or two. I'd be careful lowering protein though as your muscles need it to break down and maintain/grow. Typically people start changing fat/carbs first.

What do you macros look like now in terms of grams and what is your weight? How long have you been dieting and how drastic is your deficit - sometimes a "diet break" is recommended for hormones and leptin and other science-y stuff to get back to "normal" and may help continue your weight loss.

As you get closer to your weight loss goal it gets tougher. One more thing, calorie needs adjust as you lose weight so make sure you are taking your new weight into account for calculating your needed calories.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    I am interested in responses here as well. I am currently on my second week of limited carbs and I am seeing huge results.

What I am basically doing is quitting carbs just like a smoker quits smoking but my goal is to rid myself of my addiction to sugars and refined carbs. After a few weeks I am going to gradually start adding back in carbs but it will be the good carbs. 100% Whole Grain, Brown Rice, Wild Rice and fruits.

I am still torn on the white potato. I know it is a natural vegetable and one that I love but I am wondering if this is going to be one of those I may have to quit like a bad habit.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    I think there is a difference between fad diets and eating 25-30% protein. I'm definitely one of those people who needs more protein for various reasons. I think the "magic equation" is different for everyone. I also think it's worth adjusting those numbers until you find your sweet spot.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Then yesterday, by chance, I ate 35% protein (usually I average out at 15% protein) and today, hey presto, I am down a pound.

Correlation is not causation.

Eating more protein for one day won't make you lose a pound of fat.

It's good to eat more protein, but that's because it helps your body preserve lean mass. It has nothing to do with losing weight, especially at a pound a day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    2 things...

First, yes... overall cals is most important. If you're intake isn't reasonable, then no amount of finagling with your macros will make any difference. Assuming your intake is correct, then macros can make a difference, especially the leaner you get. Someone with 200lbs to lose has a lot more leeway than does someone with 20lbs to lose.

Second, you increased protein yesterday. Assuming total cals stayed the same, that means you likely decreased carbs which may very well lead to less water retention.

1lb is well within normal daily fluctuation of body weight.
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    I agree, it is too early to tell. And a pound is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Today, I am planning my meals so that I will hit 35% protein again (same number of calories) and I plan to do that for a week to see if it helps break the plateau which I have been on for the last couple of weeks.

It is interesting and I am much more 'open' to the idea that macros can make a difference.
  • jmejiaa
    jmejiaa Posts: 21
    I agree, it is too early to tell. And a pound is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Today, I am planning my meals so that I will hit 35% protein again (same number of calories) and I plan to do that for a week to see if it helps break the plateau which I have been on for the last couple of weeks.

It is interesting and I am much more 'open' to the idea that macros can make a difference.

I mis-read your post, I thought you lowered protein.. I'd keep this change for a while. Lowering carbs and eating more protein should also make you feel fuller longer which helps when dieting.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    I don't know if it's just that different bodies perform differently based on fuel, but I know the only time *I* lose weight is when I keep my protein levels above 25%. It also means, however, that I'm feeling more full and not complaining about being hungry all the time. Whatever the case may be, I have the same issue - when I eat more protein, I actually lose weight. If I eat the same calories, but higher carbs, I don't lose weight....
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Without a doubt the research shows that all calories are not created equal. When attempting to lose weight it's ALL about the metabolic processes that are taking place inside of your highly tuned, intelligently designed body.

Carbs (sugar) is used in a very specific way inside of your body. And excess sugar is mostly stored as fat.

Alternatively, fat and protein also have a specific function inside of your body. Excess amounts of those are mostly NOT stored as fat.

You will find many many many people on this site that have experienced successful weight loss eating tons of carbs. And it is true that leaner bodies can consume lots of carbs with no negative impact on their weight. But the more fat you have on your body (that was developed through carb/sugar intake over the years), the more carbs will impact you negatively and work against you in your weight loss efforts.

As humans, we were not designed to consume sugar and simple carbs in the volumes available in our western diet. The miracle of the human body is doing exactly what it has been designed to do.

YOU NEED TO START EATING DIFFERENTLY.

- FEWER CARBS
    - NO SIMPLE SUGAR
    - NO PROCESSED FOODS
    - WATER, WATER, WATER

Best of luck to you...! =D
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Overall Calories total Input is King!! now...carbs vs. Protein...both are important as is Fat. But knowing myself and being around athletes my entire life Carbs are Numero UNO! If you want that lean athletic build long term u need tons of carbs! This is so misunderstood by many here and so called "experts" and Trainers etc. Carbs build muscle and burn fat! And what I have been fascinated with the last 10 years is discovering that i never have to worry about amino acids aka protein..They are pretty much EVERYWHERE....Carbs leave you feeling very full as well...and when I switched from those insane high protein diets and low carb hellish dayzz....to high nutrient carbohydrate lifestyle the weight just started flying off:) Please look up Dr. Mcdougal the China Study etc. there are tons of sources out there of how we have been scammed by the high protein myth!
    Kristian Rocco