Whey protein and nausea

Options
alyssa92982
alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
Is there a protein powder out there that won't make you sick to your stomach? I've tried mixing it with almond milk, soy milk, and plain water but still get queasy afterwards from it:( I used body fortress(reasonably priced without breaking the bank)
Thanks!!!

Replies

• alyssa92982
    Options
    Bump
  • fajitatx
    fajitatx Posts: 36
    Options
    I always feel a little meh after drinking Muscle Milk.

I generally drink Isopure Dutch Low Carb after a workout, mixed with water.

Due to wisdom tooth surgery, I am looking for more calories, so I have been making my shakes with soy milk and have been trying out "Designer Whey" which was reasonably priced, cheaper than Isopure, with comprable stats, more carbs than Isopure.

Hope that helps.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    First, I'm not a fan of Body Fortress as they snuck in a bunch of Creatine into my protein powder. If there's some clear, gritty, sandy granules at the bottom of your cup, that's creatine. It doesn't agree with some people.

Second, There's other proteins you can try. You might enjoy soy. There's also a Muscle Milk powder available at Costco. I've had the single serving protein drinks and they're pretty good. I want to try the powder but it's a ginormous bag.
  • alyssa92982
    Options
    Thanks for response I will check all those out:)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    The Ultimate Nutrition IsoSensation 93 powders are fantastic and delicious and is an isolate so it has less carbs so you can stuff a banana and a bunch of fruits, yogurt and milk with ice into a blender and still come up protein rich while keeping a fantastic flavor. Cheaply I found that the MuscleTech Six Star Excellence Series of Whey Protein in chocolate and vanilla was good and wasn't too grainy when blended, Optimum Nutrition is another good option, I personally use the 100% Gold Whey Protein powder in Extremem Chocolate Milk and I really like it. I mix it with milk and wowbutter (peanut free peanut butter) a couple ice cubes and blend for a yummy drink.

I really would highly recommend the IsoSensation 93 overall.
  • alyssa92982
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you!!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Many people have issues with whey. There are other types of protein powder. Why try and force something down that makes you sick? Seek to use other types..
  • alyssa92982
    Options
    What's the best type for after a strength training session besides whey?
  • jamiecoles
    jamiecoles Posts: 8
    Options
    Whey made me feel very sick. Interestingly, Milk/casein doesn't make me sick. I've switched! I'm putting it down to a whey allergy
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Is there a protein powder out there that won't make you sick to your stomach? I've tried mixing it with almond milk, soy milk, and plain water but still get queasy afterwards from it:( I used body fortress(reasonably priced without breaking the bank)
    Thanks!!!

Bahahahaa...I posted this on my timeline yesterday!

It tastes fine then about 20 mins I feel so sick and it lasts for hours : (
  • alyssa92982
    Options
    I might try that kind then. Thanks!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey and have never had an issue. I've mixed it with milk only, as well as in a milk/peanut butter/cocoa powder smoothie.
  • kokalvt
    kokalvt Posts: 143
    Options
    Have you tried making a protein smoothie instead of just mixing it with milk/water/etc? I can't taste the difference when I use fresh fruit like bananas and strawberries and things like peanut butter (PB2) and flax seed.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder makes my Crohn's flare...so I use PlantFusion...really good and super easy on the stomach.
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have used the Optimum Nutrition Chocolate protein powder and mixed it with almond milk and fruit, and it was good. I have a milk sensitivity and the whey bothered my sinuses a lot, so I had to stop using it. But, it did not upset my stomach at all.
  • jmejiaa
    jmejiaa Posts: 21
    Options
    You don't NEED the whey and you don't NEED to have it right after training. If you can have some protein from another source(chicken) within the next couple of hours after training you should be OK.

If it's causing you to feel sick, this will be a good change.. I know whey is easier.

I always hear bad stuff about Body Fortress, I've had great luck with the Cytosport brand from Costco and it's 42 bucks for 6lbs so def. inexpensive.
  • alyssa92982
    Options
    Optimal nutrition seems to be one I hear alot about. I might try that and see how my stomach does
  • Nanigae
    Nanigae Posts: 7
    Options
    I tried a number of different whey powders including the optimum, muscle milk, Costco etc. Vanilla and chocolate. All made me feel horrible within minutes. I switched to soy and have had no trouble at all. I'm a little confused by it as I don't seem to be lactose intolerant nor allergic to whey so can't explain it. I use it with Almond milk.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    How much of it are you drinking? I find that I get sick if I consume more than 100g of protein in less than 20-30 minutes or so. I used to take two pure pro 50 protein shakes (50g protein each) and mix it with oats and cut up apples for my proatmeal. It was around 850 calories and 110g protein or so and sometimes I'd feel sick. If I added extra protein powder to it I would always feel nauseous and bloated.
  • lausmit4477
    lausmit4477 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ON is a good brand to try. However, there really is no need to take in whey protein powders if you can meet your protein needs through diet. Protein powders are a good way to hit target and they are convenient.