Discouraged....shouldn't be...but am....Am I the only one?

Options
I have just logged a 22 pound weight loss, which I know is amazing in 3 months. My head knows this....I know I am doing it the healthy way and I do feel more energized. I just realized however that I let myself get to such a large size that you can barely see any physical progress. I know that if I keep going that I will see the progress and I will keep going but I can't help but feel that with all of my hard work I wish I could see it in my appearance....better yet my husband...Am I the only one?

Replies

• askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not the only one that is discouraged! It is really hard when you look at yourself every day because it often times takes longer for you to see the changes... and sometimes when you are a large woman to begin with, others take a while to notice the difference as well.

I know for myself, it took about 30 pounds and going to the next size down when I finally realized it and other people REALLY noticed... some people had said there is something different, I just can't put my finger on it ~lol~

Have a little more patience, and keep working the way you have been and take it one step at a time, you are doing a GREAT job. Cheers :drinker:
  • jnd951999
    jnd951999 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Start taking pics now. I had this problem the first 50 lbs. I was afraid of the camera so I didn't take any. Now I take them every 10 lbs and in my undies so I can really see the difference. You will be amazed how much of a difference you will see in just ten lbs.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am curious as of how tall you are and your starting weight.

Me:
    SW 267
    CW 244

I have lost 22 pounds. I have noticed the changes in my face, my sides, my ankles. I don't have 3 chins anymore. In fact I wear a necklace that I had not been able to wear. To tight.

Some people have noticed but not said anything. Meaning...the other day I was eating some chips. Co-Worker said you lost weight don't go back. Customer who knows I am working on losing weight. Calls me skinny now. LOL

But my family has not said anything.

I notice that things are easier for me to do. So those are the things that keep me going.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I agree--- start taking pictures and save a size of your clothes when you move down. I have a really cool picture showing 5 of my jeans on top of one another and it seems unreal the difference. Although there are days my brain convinces me that i havne't lost any weight. On days that I feel like that, I use the pictures because they don't lie!

You are doing great, 22 lbs is an awesome start. If you keep doing that, you will be amazed where you can go =)
  • Tyandnatesmom
    Tyandnatesmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am curious as of how tall you are and your starting weight.

Me:
    SW 267
    CW 244

I have lost 22 pounds. I have noticed the changes in my face, my sides, my ankles. I don't have 3 chins anymore. In fact I wear a necklace that I had not been able to wear. To tight.

Some people have noticed but not said anything. Meaning...the other day I was eating some chips. Co-Worker said you lost weight don't go back. Customer who knows I am working on losing weight. Calls me skinny now. LOL

But my family has not said anything.

I notice that things are easier for me to do. So those are the things that keep me going.

SW 285
    CW 263
    Height 5'-8"

I actually had to pull out my drivers license this weekend and coincidentally I had my new photo taken the day I joined the gym. I stood there and looked at it and noticed in my face that I had lost weight.

I then went to a graduation where everyone commented on how good I looked.

I have to just look at the small things and keep moving! I am definitely going to start taking progress photos. Thank you so much for the help!
  • Tyandnatesmom
    Tyandnatesmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to start taking photos. I think it will help a ton! Thank you!!
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You're doing amazing!! Keep it up and don't stop. I know how you feel, but take measurements!! Seriously! go go go!! That's an amazing loss so far, think of what will happen in 6 more months! 1 year! 2 years!
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I had lost in the neighborhood of 65 lbs, my sister-in-law FINALLY told me that I looked good. I mean, come on, I'd gone from a size 22 to a size 14 (I'm 5'10"), and she couldn't say anything before then? Good thing I wasn't doing it for her, or else I might have given up!

I might've killed my husband, though, if he hadn't acknowledged my success along the way. He was always good about that.

The pictures idea is a good one. And taking measurements. Those will help to encourage you. Are you also exercising? I get encouragement from seeing my endurance on the treadmill improve, or my strength on the weights improve.

Keep going! You can do it!
  • debbylee_maxine
    debbylee_maxine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I get very discouraged ALL the time. I feel like my weightloss is somehow one big lie. Like, somehow I'm standing on the scale wrong, and perhaps my clothes are just stretching out with my fatness. I can even mentally argue with the measure tape. So much that my coach will use a ruler to show me that her measure tape is indeed NOT stretched out. I just can not help but be discouraged. My clothes are loose and the scale keeps going down... people comment on it but I still feel like it's a lie, I feel guilty that I don't deserve the praise for my progress, all because I can not accept that there ARE changes. I can see them. But it's like my brain can not accept them.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    It is easy to get discouraged...not as easy to feel good about ourselves; wonder why that is? I lost more than I ever expected to lose and dropped more sizes than I ever expected to drop...yet even a couple pound gain can have me discouraged and down on myself.

It is just natural human nature to get down on ourselves and focus on the negative. We (I'm preaching to myself too) need to focus on all the positives and take the negatives and turn them into positives. Yes...I really mean that. So, you ate something you shouldn't today; how did you feel afterward? Did it make you feel great? Yes? Then include once in a while for that feeling. Did it make you feel bad? NO? Then don't waste calories on that ever again...it wasn't worth it. Take each experience and use it for a lesson for the next time: both good and bad. They are ALL relevant to your learning and growing.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    You're doing amazing!! Keep it up and don't stop. I know how you feel, but take measurements!! Seriously! go go go!! That's an amazing loss so far, think of what will happen in 6 more months! 1 year! 2 years!

^^^ this

keep it up, you will get there. This is a marathon, not a sprint and you're doing great :)