Too Many Calories?

Options
How do I know if I have set too many calories for myself with this app? Some days I'm hungrier than others.

What are you some of your favorite meals? What does a typical day entail as far as what you eat?

I followed Weight Watchers for a few years with results but I am completely lost at this point on how to get back on track by using the MFP app.

Replies

• leahslooloo
    leahslooloo Posts: 57
    Options
    there are lots of other sites that will help you work out your TDEE which is how many calories you should consume depending on your fitness levels. Just google TDEE calculator loads come up at the moment my favourite is scoobys TDEE calculator a few people on hear recommended it to me :-)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    r if you want to keep it simple while you get started, you need to go to your settings and decide how active you are - this really depends whether you sit at a desk all day, are on your feet, etc etc.

I have a desk job and set to sedentary to enable me to log ALL my exercise (as otherwise I won't do any), then I eat back my calories.

On days when you are hungrier, eart more of a lower-calorie food (such as vegetables - no butter!) but make sure you have enough protein to stop you being hungry. If you are starving go for a walk and voila - enough calories for an apple!

The thing to remember with MFP is that, unlike WW, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie - 100 calories excess broccoli will have the same effect as 100 calories excess chocolate. Feel free to friend me if it helps!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If, over the course of several weeks, you are consistently gaining... then you have too many cals.
  • mariss323
    mariss323 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

This leads me to another question. What are your thoughts on diet soda, diet drinks (diet iced tea), artificial sweetners? Is better to use sugar or artificial sweetner? Say I order an unsweetened iced tea, is it better to add a sugar packet or a Splenda packet?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Better for what? Weight loss? Overall health?

Weight loss is about a calorie deficit... what you consume is secondary to total cals... keep your total cals in check and you'll see progress. If you want to include regular soda and sugar, go for it. If not, that's fine too.