what foods should I eat?

Options
Hey,

I'm managing to stick to my calorie allowance but only by eating smaller portions of the foods I'm used to eating.The problem is, I'm a picky eater who could HAPPILY live on meat and carbs alone.

Typical examples of what I used to/like to eat

Meatballs in sauce - 520 cal
Basics super noodles - 550 cal
Pasta
Rice
Chicken/pork/gammon and mash w/gravy
Bread
Ham and cheese toasties
Chicken in white sauce - 500 ish
Salmon pie, small portion - 250
Pork stuffing baguette - 600+

See what I mean? So for me, it's not about small changes, it's about finding an entirely new way of eating!

I like all kinds of meat, fish, pasta, potato ect. I've done the usual and swapped to best of both bread, leaner meats, cut out the pop.

However, I'm still finding it a struggle as the foods I'm used to,say noodles and meatballs with a glass of coke can be 1200+ calories a time!

I really do not like most vegetables, bar sweet potato and parsnips. I don't mind fruit, but it's so expensive and never seems to fill me up. I can go without sweets and chocolate but again, can't find a way to replace them.

I don't mind forgoing my favourite foods if I have to to lose weight but what the heck can I replace them with? Any suggestions would be GREAT! I'm really struggling.

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    No, you don't need to eat totally differently. For example, turkey meatballs taste terrific. The ones I get at Trader Joe's are 50 calories each. 2 ounces pasta = 200 cals, 3 meatballs = 150, marinara sauce = 90 calories, which makes a fine, filling dinner for 440 calories. Exercise and you can add another meatball or two, even some garlic bread and a glass of wine.

Meat and potatoes don't have to break your calorie goals, either. Lean meat, homemade mashed potatoes, low-fat gravy, and again you can have a great and filling meal for 400-500 calories.

It's all about planning ahead and portion control. And getting enough exercise to up your calories to a comfortable level while you lose your weight.

Best of luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You can continue to eat the things you like. Just eat a smaller portion of them and then add more lower calorie foods to your intake.

So, instead of 500 cals of chicken in white sauce, have a half portion of it with a large salad. The salad will help fill you up (and give you some much needed veggies that your diet is lacking).

I'm not a fan of veggies either, but I've found some that I do like and I've learned how to cook others to make them more enjoyable. I hate lettuce, so I eat spinach salads instead. I don't like raw tomatoes, but tomato slices drizzled with olive oil and seasonings that have been roasted for 30 minutes? Oh yum! Bananas are pretty cheap and filling. Frozen fruit can be stirred into greek yogurt - add it in the morning and by the afternoon it's thawed. Frozen can save you a lot of money - especially if you stock up while it's on sale.

Eggs are another good lower calorie choice. 2 eggs are only 140 calories. Put that on a slice of toast (maybe 80 cals) with a couple slices of tomato and you've got a good meal for about 250 calories.

1 baked potato has about 110 cals. Top it with a half an ounce of cheese for 55 cals and some bacon bits for about 25 cals per tsp. Serve it with a piece of seasoned, baked chicken (4 oz uncooked is 100 cals) and some greens and it's another good, lower calorie meal.
  • ClosetBibliophile
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!

I think I just need to get used to it, I buy EVERYTHING basics as me and my partner are going through a never-ending financial rough patch and I'm sure that's half the reason I gained weight in the first place. It's all crammed with calories.

The two main things holding me back at the moment are;
    1. Cost. The noodles I get are 9p and I used to literally live on those, dessert packets are 3p, 40p for meatballs in sauce, 30p for pasta, 50p bread ect. And tins don't go out of date so no food wastage.
    Lean chicken breast, turkey mince, salad that lasts a day or two are all a fair bit more expensive. I suppose you get what you pay for and all that!

2. Not being able to think of substitutes for the food I eat often. Controlling portion size is a good one, as that's pretty easy. It's just when almost everything you eat on a daily basis is either fattening or sugary, it's a little overwhelming. Honestly, I'm 19 and 200lbs which I carry fairly well. But, I'm mainly doing this now because with the diet I'm currently on and my attitude to food, I can see that spiraling out of control rapidly.

So, difficult or not, I will find veg that I can bear to eat. And I'll just have to fork out the extra for healthier foods and tell myself a smaller bum will be worth it!
  • leahslooloo
    leahslooloo Posts: 57
    Options
    try fruit and veg that's in season down our supermarket every week they have different fruit and veg for pound few so many :-)
    have you looked at fresh noodles or dried pasta instead of packet noodles it more filling more tasty and can be just as cheap. what about buying in bulk or wholesale we get a lot of meat wholesale or we buy a whole lamb chop it up freeze it an it lasts for months :-)
  • ClosetBibliophile
    Options
    Ooh, that's a good idea, thank you!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Hit your macros and take a multivitamin. I've been pretty successful this way.
  • ClosetBibliophile
    Options
    I'm sorry, what's a macro? :)
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I still eat spaghetti, lasagna etc but I add a ton of veggies to everything. My spaghetti sauce has almost a cup of veggies just for me...cut up peppers, onions, cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms etc...add to sauce...cuts down on calories and way more nutritious. Experiment to see if you want to saute them in olive oil first then add to sauce or just raw and cut up. I add vegies to almost everything I make. There were veggies that i didn't used to like but I experimented with cooking various ways and in a sauce (low sodium), they can be even better.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm not too fond of veggies either, I force myself to have some every evening though.

You can find better ways - someone mentioned the spaghetti and turkey meatballs above, it's what I do once in a while too. My trader joe's doesn't have turkey meatballs (I mean wtf?) but I use wegmans', 170 calories for 3, could be worse. And I use whole grain pasta, I just eat less than I used to.

For the ham and cheese 'toastie', you can use 2% milk cheese and whole grain bread, smaller slices or ezekiel bread.

Switch to brown rice and whole grain products when you can too. Make mashed potatoes with low fat milk and less butter etc.

The main issue you're going to have with just eating less of the same thing is you're probably going to get hungry.
  • littlebutnice
    littlebutnice Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What's a macro?
  • ClosetBibliophile
    Options
    Francl, that exactly the issue I'm having! All I've had today is a baguette and a cup of tea with 4 biscuits (A complete waste of calories, born out of frustration and a three day craving). Really hungry right now.

I really wish I could fill up on veggies/salad as that seems to be the secret but I know I won't enjoy it and I really want to stick with this diet!

Side not, I've since brought some morning coffee biscuits - 22 calories each!! Super pleased, I'll still save them for treat but it's something to look forward to and if I have to indulge, at least 4 will only cost me 88cal.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, what's a macro? :)
    Macros are macronutrients (carbs, fats, and protein). If you eat enough protein and fat (carbs don't have a minimum), get all of your vitamins, and stay under your calorie goal you'll lose weight just fine and be healthy. For example, I'm going to eat two ice cream cones and two cookies tonight because it fits my macros and I'll still be under my calorie goal.
  • ClosetBibliophile
    Options
    *Googles*

Thanks for the tip!