When to start lifting heavy?

Options
Hi all! Just getting back into getting fit. I'm 28 years old, about 171 cm and at the beginning of the year weighed 95kg. A couple of years ago, with healthy eating and regular exercise I was 78kg when I took on a new job that left me very time poor. However, now I've decided to make the change and find the time.

First things first, I want to get my 5k time back on track - I used to do it a shade over 25 min, and now I'm doing about 3.5km in about the same time. I hope to be running my 5k as I used to by the end of July.

I also do weights: alternating muscle groups day by day. So one day will be chest/shoulders/biceps/triceps and the next will be quads/glutes/back. I do 3 sets of 12 reps each. Plus planks, ab work, and pushups.

In terms of the weights I do I use dumbells, usually about 5kg for biceps, shoulders, back and squats and 6kg for chest press.

After a couple of months of this routine, I've lost about 7 kg.

However, it seems to me to really see the results I want (get rid of a big roll of belly fat) I will need to start 'lifting heavy'. What does this mean exactly? Should I be in the free weights room with the big boys grunting and sweating? Or because I'm still in the early stages of getting my fitness back on track should I focus on cardio and dumbells as I am now and think about free weights a few months down the line? Or maybe I could use the weight machines instead? Or should I stick to the dumb bells and up them.

I like my food, so don't want to go down the body building route of protein shakes and steamed chicken for breakfast! But I'm just wondering if there's anything I could do to optimise my work out time (about 30 mins cardio and 30 mins weights 4-6 times a week) and I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Replies

• limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    And I forgot to say, my BFP is 45% - way, way higher than it's ever been. I'd like to get down to about 24% in 10 months time (does that sound reasonable?). So - should I continue to focus on cardio for fat loss, or should I get myself to the weights?

• suchastruggle
    suchastruggle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump. I'm in the same boat as you and want to hear the advice you get. Good luck!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    No time like the present to get started with the big weights.

Even though you're planning to lose weight, the sooner you start with the lifting, the more you preserve muscle mass, and speed up the weight loss, plus you'll end up looking better, and you'll feel awesome and strong.

Don't worry about the bodybuilders diet, as long as you're getting a decent ratio of macros and the other nutrients you need, it doesn't matter where they come from. Shakes are just convenient, for example, in some gyms firing up a grill in the changing rooms is frowned up!

If your goal is a 5k time, don't give up cardio completely, just mix it up with a combination of the big weights and cardio.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    I would do one of the Starting Strength variations:

Workout A:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Powerclean 5x3 (This could be substituted with barbell rows 3x5)

Workout B
    Squat 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5 (If you feel up to it, you could toss in some pull ups after you deadlift)

Start with just the bar.
    Alternate Workouts A and B on 3 non-consecutive days per week
    Add 5lbs to the bar each time you train
    Once you can't complete the reps for an exercise 2 training sessions in a row, subtract 20% of the weight and start working your way back up, 5lbs at a time. Some people like to add 10lbs per session to the deadlift for the first few weeks and then, once it gets heavy, cut back to adding 5lbs a session.

You can run this program for years. My buddy Norman ran a variation of this (stronglifts) all the way up to a 300kg squat.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I vote for Starting Strength or Stronglifts, too. There is a great group with lots of info here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I started doing barbell weights at about 100kg, and according to the very imprecise bodyfat calculators, I haven't lost any LBM so far. I wasn't in terrible shape but I wasn't in great shape. It's very different from what you've been doing, but it's simple and straightforward and effective.
  • mylittletribe
    Options
    No time like the present to get started with the big weights.

Even though you're planning to lose weight, the sooner you start with the lifting, the more you preserve muscle mass, and speed up the weight loss, plus you'll end up looking better, and you'll feel awesome and strong.

Don't worry about the bodybuilders diet, as long as you're getting a decent ratio of macros and the other nutrients you need, it doesn't matter where they come from. Shakes are just convenient, for example, in some gyms firing up a grill in the changing rooms is frowned up!

If your goal is a 5k time, don't give up cardio completely, just mix it up with a combination of the big weights and cardio.

I'm only a month in and I've started. I took a few weeks to just build up my general fitness, decided to add some weights, fell in love, and now it's probably the biggest part of my fitness plan.
    So, hear hear to no time like the present.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Now
  • jmejiaa
    jmejiaa Posts: 21
    Options
    NOW.

My biggest regret was not starting to lift when i started losing the weight.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    yesterday
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    There are also good circuit training sets out there to help you use body weight to begin training your body to handle weight. I've done some circuit training, some 30DS, some barbells, and now, moving onto some sandbags to try out "compound lifts" at home.

The benefit to circuit training was that I could get in cardio and strength without compromising either. A stronger VO2 Max also benefitted running, so does HIIT training.

On the downside, I find that with weight training, I am too sore or tired to run, but it does help with body shaping.

So, it may depend on your season and personal priorities somewhat. Great thread, and great question! I'm still working on my personal trial and error to figure out what works for me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Today. I started a month ago and am so happy I did. I kept waiting for no legitimate reason other than I was nervous.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yesterday!
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Tricep_A_Tops Posts: 319
    Options
    I started on day one of my 83 lb weight loss, Lifting heavy from day one was the most important thing I did during it,
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    ASAP!!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Now

exactly what I was going to say!
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Today. I started a month ago and am so happy I did. I kept waiting for no legitimate reason other than I was nervous.

This is me too!! I have had the NROL4W book for months now, but (a), I have been debating on a gym membership to be able to start/complete it; and (b), I'm nervous :embarassed:
  • babams
    babams Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi all! Just getting back into getting fit. I'm 28 years old, about 171 cm and at the beginning of the year weighed 95kg. A couple of years ago, with healthy eating and regular exercise I was 78kg when I took on a new job that left me very time poor. However, now I've decided to make the change and find the time.

First things first, I want to get my 5k time back on track - I used to do it a shade over 25 min, and now I'm doing about 3.5km in about the same time. I hope to be running my 5k as I used to by the end of July.

I also do weights: alternating muscle groups day by day. So one day will be chest/shoulders/biceps/triceps and the next will be quads/glutes/back. I do 3 sets of 12 reps each. Plus planks, ab work, and pushups.

In terms of the weights I do I use dumbells, usually about 5kg for biceps, shoulders, back and squats and 6kg for chest press.

After a couple of months of this routine, I've lost about 7 kg.

However, it seems to me to really see the results I want (get rid of a big roll of belly fat) I will need to start 'lifting heavy'. What does this mean exactly? Should I be in the free weights room with the big boys grunting and sweating? Or because I'm still in the early stages of getting my fitness back on track should I focus on cardio and dumbells as I am now and think about free weights a few months down the line? Or maybe I could use the weight machines instead? Or should I stick to the dumb bells and up them.

I like my food, so don't want to go down the body building route of protein shakes and steamed chicken for breakfast! But I'm just wondering if there's anything I could do to optimise my work out time (about 30 mins cardio and 30 mins weights 4-6 times a week) and I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

I opted to get the help of a personal trainer to motivate me - I realize not an option for everyone. She advised me to that I should lift to failure and do 4 sets with 8-15 reps per set, depending on weight. Some days I lift light for 15, other days I lift heavy for 8. I define "heavy" by struggling to get the last rep out on the first set. By the 4th set my muscles are on fire. I would only advise lifting heavy if you have a spotter. The last thing you want is to injure yourself.

Also, research high intensity cardio to get rid of belly fat.

Good luck!
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    You sound like me earlier this year, except I'm a good bit older than you (42). I have very similar goals to you too. In January I was 97 kg, and at the beginning of April I had cut that to 83.5 kg, and I'm on my way to 77 kg. I didn't do very much HEAVY lifting, but I do appreciate the benefit of working out like that. I used to work out heavy years ago and got some really good results from it, but this time I tried something different.

Basically what I do now is a lot of circuit training type workouts. While these use primarily bodyweight only type movements, we will sometimes use free weights as well, but never very heavy as there are very high rep counts and there is an emphasis on speed to keep the intensity level very high. This type of workout has been incredibly productive for me and I would absolutely recommend it and if you would like to hear more about specifics I'd be happy to share more if you (or anyone else) wanted to message me about it.

I would also recommend Loftearmen's advice on lifting heavy. I've seen his posts elsewhere on these forums and I think he's pretty spot-on when it comes to lifting advice, so I think you've definitely come to the right place for your question.

Best of luck to you!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    No reason to wait--start right away! Yes, you can get rid of that pesky belly. See my profile photo...belly still going away.

I am seconding Loftearmen's recommendation of a compound lifting program. Starting Strength (which he quoted), or Stronglifts are both great.
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    no reason to wait! i would start some kind of program that will guide you on what to do if you're not sure.

i did p90x and now doing body beast and love both programs.

when i first started, i did insanity to burn most of the fat off; lifting only further burned the fat and now my midsection is gone. there are definite benefits to lifting but i would also mix in some HIIT cardio to maximize fat loss