Question about HRM?

Options
I've been seriously considering purchasing a HRM. Any openions about HRM's? What kind have you tried/purchased? AND are you totally happy with it? Thanks :)

Replies

• Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4. I would recommend any of the Polar HRM.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40, best fitness investment I have ever made. I also would use any Polar HRM product but I recommend that you go through all the models and find the one that has the best features for you
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Polar for sure. I started out with a cheapie called Sportline or something like that, and it never worked. Returned it, got a Polar with a $20 off coupon at ****s, and I love it. Just make sure to wet the area a bit before you put on the sensor.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4
  • amandaleigh_
    Options
    Polar FT4! I've dropped 20 pounds in 6 months since I started using it. It 100% makes you workout smarter.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4. I would recommend any of the Polar HRM.
    Yep. It's what I have as well. It meshes nicely with a watch-style monitor, but also all of the treadmills and elipticals at my workplace will sync with it just fine, so there's a bonus right there!
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the bodymedia link that goes around your arm, syncs with your phone. Very easy to use! It is also what the biggest loser ppl use in the show. Keeps me motivated throughout the day too since it gives you real time updates. Hope this helps!
  • ashorey87
    ashorey87 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar FT4 and loved it.... then I lost the chest strap :(
    I had a Sunnto given to me for free - I like my Polar better but this will work until I replace the chest strap.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What do you intend to use it for? Moderately accurate burn for exercise? Calculating TDEE? better targeted training?

Remember HRMs are only calibrated for calorie burn during steady-state cardio - you will get an inaccurate reading for weight training and HIIT. You also can't wear it all day and expect to get your TDEE, for which you'd be better off with an activity tracker like FitBit or BodyMedia. And although Polars are water resistant, they won't give you an accurate reading for the duration of a swim session as they transmit poorly through water.

If you decide an HRM is what you need, yes, Polar does the best. If you want a GPS for distance and elevation too without having to carry another gadget, look to Garmin.
  • lornahurley
    lornahurley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a polar FT4, fab monitor, then i lost the sensor, it'll be at the bottom of a gym locker somewhere..

Ordered another FT4 today, bright pink! yay!
  • jessicalynntaylor27
    jessicalynntaylor27 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good question! I would really like something to montior calorie burn and distance during runs.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Good question! I would really like something to montior calorie burn and distance during runs.

If you are looking at that, I highly suggest a Garmin. It's a GPS unit which also has a calorie burning feature and some units have a HRM. I will warn you that not every unit that has a HRM bases its calorie estimate on the HRM, some do, some dont. You can find out in the Specs section of the unit on their webpage.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have and love my Polar FT7 but would recommend the FT4 since I never use the fancier features.
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    Just ordered a FT7. Will test it out and let you know. I will predominantly be using it for swimming, really excited to see how it will help me know when to push myself.
  • SteppyRohr
    SteppyRohr Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it. I plan to purchase a Garmin eventually to use when I run as I would like to know pace and distance while running. (Right now I run routes where I know excact distance) I will always use the Polar FT7 HRM when doing other workouts besides running just to know my zone and calorie burn. So attached to it I don't know that I could workout without it! LOL! Good luck!
  • LuckySe7en
    LuckySe7en Posts: 49
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60. I love it. It tells me my heart rate, calories burned and the percentage of those calories that were from fat. It has target zones, and all that good stuff. Well worth the price paid. Also the battery is user replaceable in the transmitter on the chest strap as well as the watch. Also, if you get the gps transmitter for it, it can calculate the distance you've run if that is what you are looking for.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Zephyr HRM BT. If you carry your phone with you when you work out. Works seamlessly with Endomondo and transfers workout data seamlessly to MFP.

I bring my phone with on my work-outs for music and GPS, the hrm connects via bluetooth. I have not had any issues with it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options

If you are looking at that, I highly suggest a Garmin. It's a GPS unit which also has a calorie burning feature and some units have a HRM. I will warn you that not every unit that has a HRM bases its calorie estimate on the HRM, some do, some dont. You can find out in the Specs section of the unit on their webpage.
    ^^^ This.

But I'd also add I've had a Polar and a Garmin with HRM and to be honest the faff of setting them up, strapping them on and uploading and analysing results was sometimes a make-or-break on whether I did a workout at all. Now I just use my smartphone which I'd have with me anyhow, and either CardioTrainer or Zombies, Run! which gives me accurate ENOUGH speeds, distances and a calorie burn. Mine's fairly consistent across whatever measurement/calculation method I use anyhow.

Plus I get to run with zombies chasing me!

If you're a fairly advanced runner looking to get the most out of your runs, an HRM will help you accurately meet your session goals - intervals, long slow run, threshold etc.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a FT4F and I love it too. I have to carry my cell and use endomondo for distance and speed. It automatically uploads my work out to MFP (so I never forget to log my exercise), but I adjust the calories burned down to what my HRM says. I just find it hard to believe that I burn the 500+ calories on a 30 minute jogg that endomondo says I do. Endomondo also uploads my work out to my FB page so the group of training friends know I've done my training for the day. It's is a little sketchy sometimes, but generally ok for FREE.

My next HRM will have a gps though!