Bipolar & Lamotrigine

Hey guys,
I found out yesterday that I have bipolar (doctors almost positive) Anyways, he put me on Lamotrigine, does anyone know how the med works? Does it cause weight gain/loss? I've only been on it for one day, but for some reason I'm not hungry today :S
I've have a bagel, some fried rice and a coffee (and a few cheezies at a friends house) The thing is, I feel bloated :/ but the meds didn't say anything about that. Just wondering your view on this medicine, I'm also on lorazepam, haldol and sertraline (I also have OCD, Tourettes, and anxiety disorder)

Replies

• laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    I've heard appetite loss is a side effect. I'm on Topamax which is a similar drug and I have appetite loss. Beware, it's not a good thing. My doctor cautioned that if I don't eat normally, I'll end up gaining the weight back anyway.
  • Haddix157
    Haddix157 Posts: 35
    Yeah, I've been on Weight Watchers, so I'm trying to get my daily guidelines in still, but I just feel bloated & not hungry :/ Any suggestions?
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Try to eat foods that are calorie-dense that you can have a little of, but still get nutrition and calories from, like peanut butter, cheese, nuts, avocado, etc.

Make sure to take a good multi-vitamin. I started taking the Trader Joe's Women's Once-a-Day a couple days ago, before that, I was taking prenatals.

It sucks, I know. Try to hang in there.
  • thistleandfi
    thistleandfi Posts: 102 Member
    Hi!

I've been on this 2 different times, the most recent stint has been almost at a year (have bipolar II). I haven't noticed any hindering of weight loss and definitely no ill effect on my appetite... Hopefully your doc did the standard start on a low dose (25mg) and then gradually increase the dosage? In addition to allowing for monitoring of an allergic reaction (rash) it will also give you a chance to gauge how your moods are responding. Not sure there would be significant effects after only one day unless you were started on a higher than normal dosage?

If you do experience any bothersome side effects I'd discuss them with your dr in case there are ways to mitigate it. Best of luck, I've had great success on Lamitrogene as long as my dosage is correct/adjusted appropriately (i.e. not too high b/c then I get increasingly apathetic/indifferent/flat).
  • Haddix157
    Haddix157 Posts: 35
    No, I'm on 25 mg, but 1/2 pill one week, then increase by half a pill once a week for a month
    week 1: 1/2 pill
    week 2: 1 pill
    week 3: 1.5 pills
    week 4: 2 pills

Yeah, I didn't notice anything yet (as it's only been one day) but I am VERY sensitive to meds, so I'm not too sure how this will work,....
  • thistleandfi
    Also I highly recommend taking Omega-3's, getting daily physical activity and keep a regular sleep schedule. I find it easier to eat healthy when I make myself keep a somewhat regular schedule.

Have you been tested/evaluated to make sure there aren't other issues going on? (i.e. thyroid, gluten or lactose intolerance, IBS, etc)
    I found out after almost 20 years of suffering that I cannot gluten or lactose. Completely separate from the BI2 but I've found the dietary adjustment to be complimentary to my mental health and weight loss goals.
  • thistleandfi
    No, I'm on 25 mg, but 1/2 pill one week, then increase by half a pill once a week for a month
    week 1: 1/2 pill
    week 2: 1 pill
    week 3: 1.5 pills
    week 4: 2 pills

Yeah, I didn't notice anything yet (as it's only been one day) but I am VERY sensitive to meds, so I'm not too sure how this will work,....
    That's good, pretty standard start-up from what I know.

Only you know your body so if you give the medication some time and there are effects you are uncomfortable with, I'd definitely talk to your doctor. I suppose it comes down to what you feel like you can work with vs. the benefits of what it can do for your diagnosis. I sincerely hope this works for you but if it doesn't, there are other options. If you want/need some support, please feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • Sarah_LM
    Sarah_LM Posts: 96
    Lamotrigine is one of the few bipolar meds that is weight neutral so it shouldn't affect your weight loss. I'm not sure about the bloating but I would think it should pass once you've been on it a while.I hope it helps you feel better, I've heard good things about it although I've never personally taken it.
  • wildfirediva
    wildfirediva Posts: 212
    I have been on Lamotrigine (50 mg) and Welbutrin for about a year now. I have not noticed any gain and if anything getting my moods straight has helped keep me motivated to exercise regularly and stabilized much of my emotional eating (and drinking, not that I drank much to begin with but I have dropped that to only a couple drinks a month) .

Definitely don't rush the schedule of dosage the dr gave you, as it helps to test for sensitivity to the drug at its lowest level as it has been shown to cause painful skin rash/blisters in some people.

I take my Welbutrin in the AM and my Lamotrigine at night before bed.

Also consider going Paleo or try for gluten and dairy free with very limited sugar. Once you cut those out you may notice a decrease in symptoms. I personally went on a ketogenic diet for about a month and my head was clearer that it had been in years.
  • Bumblebap
    Bumblebap Posts: 11 Member
    I tried Lamotrigine and was taken off it because I developed a skin rash. A side effect that develops in about 1 in 10 people and can potentially be fatal. That is not to say it will develop in you and even more so it will be fatal in you. Just look out for any skin changes.

In my opinion ALL bipolar meds induce weight gain. I'm currently on a Lithium/Olanzapine combination and believe me, you'll see the difference! Especially Olanzapine won't be kind on your weight.

But what's a bit of weight gain amongst friends (as my boyfriend would say) or in real earth terms, what would you prefer? Your crippling depressions or a bit of oomph?
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    None of those meds should affect appetite. The big one associated with appetite change and metabolic syndrome is Risperdal (risperidone). If you're truly BP you'll probably be adding other meds in down the road to control manic episodes (assuming you weren't actively manic at the time of your diagnosis). Lithium, valproic acid, Risperdal, etc. are commonly used. If you can avoid Risperdal I'd recommend it. Weight gain is very common with it and also with valproic acid. Lithium is more neutral. Best of luck! Getting the right med regimen for BP is generally very challenging and requires trial and error.

Oh, and bloating is not common with Lamictal (lamotrigine).
  • Bumblebap
    None of those meds should affect appetite. The big one associated with appetite change and metabolic syndrome is Risperdal (risperidone). If you're truly BP you'll probably be adding other meds in down the road to control manic episodes (assuming you weren't actively manic at the time of your diagnosis). Lithium, valproic acid, Risperdal, etc. are commonly used. If you can avoid Risperdal I'd recommend it. Weight gain is very common with it and also with valproic acid. Lithium is more neutral. Best of luck! Getting the right med regimen for BP is generally very challenging and requires trial and error.

I dare to quote you on this. Sorry, not looking for a quarrel but none of these meds should affect appetite? You do they know they prescribe Olanzapine to anorexics to induce appetite?The Wiki (anorexia) page says it's one of the strongest appetite enhancers currently known. Same goes for any other class of this medication, they'e all the same really. Anti-psychotics as a class are one to be avoided if you want no weight gain and anitconvulsants are not far off. You sound like my psych. Cheers thanks!
  • Bumblebap
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member

I dare to quote you on this. Sorry, not looking for a quarrel but none of these meds should affect appetite? You do they know they prescribe Olanzapine to anorexics to induce appetite?The Wiki (anorexia) page says it's one of the strongest appetite enhancers currently known. Same goes for any other class of this medication, they'e all the same really. Anti-psychotics as a class are one to be avoided if you want no weight gain and anitconvulsants are not far off. You sound like my psych. Cheers thanks!

I didn't mention olanzapine in my post. Risperdal is an antipsychotic and I stated clearly that it induces appetite and causes metabolic syndrome. It's safe to say that for most drugs in that class. Lithium, valproic acid, and lamictal are not antipsychotics and should not affect appetite. Please read more carefully next time you question a medical student.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,087 Member

really good info, wanted to quote for truth.

i take 600mg of lamictal a day,but i have no idea if it causes my weight gain or not, since i take a medication that promotes weight gain. when i started taking it, i didnt notice any bloating, i noticed that things were more on an even keel, once i got to a therapeutic dose, i could tell things were evening out.

i hope it helps you. give it some time to work. i always give it 6 weeks, but do what works for you. :)
  • Bumblebap

I didn't mention olanzapine in my post. Risperdal is an antipsychotic and I stated clearly that it induces appetite and causes metabolic syndrome. It's safe to say that for most drugs in that class. Lithium, valproic acid, and lamictal are not antipsychotics and should not affect appetite. Please read more carefully next time you question a medical student.

You are right, you didn't actually mention Olanzapine but I also said that anticonvulsants (to which Lamotrigine belongs) are not far off in the weight gain championships. I gained huge amounts whilst on Pregabalin (also an anticonvulsant). Lithium also induces weight gain as your body will hang onto water as its structure is close to salt.

I respect that you are a medical student but do you also actually take the medication? It easy to point out from the sidelines what ought to and ought not cause weight gain but you'll have to feel the effects on your own body to truly know what you are talking about. I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 years ago when I was an effortless and healthy UK size 10, 2 years down the line I wear a size 16, get regular diabetes tests and am on a weight loss website discussing the effects of the very meds that brought me here.
  • wampis
    wampis Posts: 3 Member
    Everyone's body responds diferently to meds. Look at the handout that came with your prescription. It lists the most common side effects and says if you experience other health problems to call your doctor. (no 2 people are exactly alike)
  • darciannb1
    darciannb1 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I know this thread is a bit old but I am on lamotrigine and yes, it does cause weight loss/appetite loss. I am already a thin person genetically and am struggling to eat more than 500 calories a day. My stomach has become so shrunken after 7 weeks that I can barely eat a quarter of a full meal in addition to never remembering to eat because of the lack of hunger pangs. Also, because I have an anxiety disorder when I do eat I end up needing a pepcid or something because my stomach begins to hurt so badly. Does anyone have a solution for this? I'm currently living on Boost Plus and Keifer Cultured Milk :\
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Hi, I know this thread is a bit old but I am on lamotrigine and yes, it does cause weight loss/appetite loss. I am already a thin person genetically and am struggling to eat more than 500 calories a day. My stomach has become so shrunken after 7 weeks that I can barely eat a quarter of a full meal in addition to never remembering to eat because of the lack of hunger pangs. Also, because I have an anxiety disorder when I do eat I end up needing a pepcid or something because my stomach begins to hurt so badly. Does anyone have a solution for this? I'm currently living on Boost Plus and Keifer Cultured Milk :\

go to the doctor
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member

Go to a doctor but your stomach does not shrink. It has a size that it retains when empty and it stretches when you eat then shrinks back so that is not the issue. You may not feel hungry but you can eat. Plan 200 calorie meals every 2 hours. Eat calorie dense foods like full fat dairy, eggs, peanut butter, avocado, lean meats, nuts. It's mostly a mental issue of deciding that you need to eat to not be sick.