Mexican

Options
Every Thursday, my office orders out for Mexican. What's the "best" thing to get there that isn't going to blow my calories.

Replies

• ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I know that for On the Border, and Taco Bell, a crunchy taco generally has less calories than other foods. Just skip the cheese and sour cream and have them add pico to cut down on the calories.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas...use 1 tortilla, eat a serving of chicken, all the peppers and onions, load up with salsa, sprinkle a small amount of cheese and skip the rice and guac

Burrito bowl or naked burrito, I like these because you fill up on meat, beans, cheese and rice just no tortilla (those things really kill my cals for the day)
  • LosingV2013
    LosingV2013 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    have a chicken salad just lettuce, chicken , veggies, and guacamole on the side. Or you can also do a taco on corn tortilla add pico around 150 cal or 300 if you get 2. At taco cabana you can also try their fajita bowls and they are about 400.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    fajitas (beef, chicken, shrimp, etc) are always a safe bet at mexican places. It takes a special individual to argue that lean meat, grilled onions and peppers, guacamole, pico de gallo, and beans aren't a dang good meal that offers a lot in the way of nutrition.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    fajitas (beef, chicken, shrimp, etc) are always a safe bet at mexican places. It takes a special individual to argue that lean meat, grilled onions and peppers, guacamole, pico de gallo, and beans aren't a dang good meal that offers a lot in the way of nutrition.

Agreed. I always just leave the tortilla wraps on the side, I don't use them. I load up the fillings (chicken, lettuce, guac, beans, onions, peppers, pico, etc) with some hot sauce and pig out. One of my favorite dinners =)
  • Fiona1111
    Fiona1111 Posts: 13
    Options
    Dam I really want Mexican now after reading this! But good suggestions.

You could wrap your fajita filling in big lettuce leaves if you wanted to skip the tortillas.
  • kvandeman
    kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Dam I really want Mexican now after reading this! But good suggestions.

You could wrap your fajita filling in big lettuce leaves if you wanted to skip the tortillas.

You can say that again. A nice sizzling plate of combo. fajitas sounds so yummy.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Hmmm. Do we know anyone like that?
  • beckersboop
    Options
    Uh oh... Did i make some people hungry for mexican!? LOL
    I worry about getting fajitas bc we get it to go and by the time it gets back here its not always the "freshest"
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    YUM.

I get fajitas and eat just the meat and pico/tomatoes, onions/peppers and enough guac for some healthy fat. If I need extra protein, I have a spoonful or 2 of the nonfat mashed black beans.

In fact... this is exactly what I'm going to order for lunch today! :)
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned with how processed the mexican food is rather than the actual choices you make. i would avoid sour cream though. Somebody mentioned taco bell--I hope its somewhere with better mexican than theirs. They had a lawsuit against them not too long ago that what they were calling beef had such a high % of fillers that it really wasnt actually beef.
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you are using tortillas, if you have the option to get a corn tortilla it might help in the long run.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned with how processed the mexican food is rather than the actual choices you make. i would avoid sour cream though. Somebody mentioned taco bell--I hope its somewhere with better mexican than theirs. They had a lawsuit against them not too long ago that what they were calling beef had such a high % of fillers that it really wasnt actually beef.

I'm not thinking "orders out" means taco bell here...
  • beckersboop
    Options
    its a local Mexican restaurant. I'm going with the 2 soft tacos and i have an apple here to eat.
  • Brenda_Lee45
    Options
    I would say anything seafood, and substitute the flour tortilla for a corn one, That will help your calories stay low
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas...use 1 tortilla, eat a serving of chicken, all the peppers and onions, load up with salsa, sprinkle a small amount of cheese and skip the rice and guac

This is what I normally do. I use one tortilla with meat/veggies/salsa/and a little guac, no cheese though (I prefer the taste of guac over cheese) and more veggies/meat without tortillas and other toppings.
  • beckersboop
    Options
    Brenda, you should know me... I don't eat seafood!!!
    I went with the two soft tacos and an apple like i said