which goal should I focus on first

Options
A. taking my undereating class and work on eating my proper calories

B. work on bumping my work outs from lightly active to active

also for those who work out and are consider active how many days a week do you work out? how many minuets?

these are my first two goals I want to work on but for me its easier to do baby steps and focus on 1 goal at a time.

Scoobysworkshop said for a lightly active person 5'4 inches tall 171 pounds wanting a 15% reduction to eat 1457 calories however that doesn't seem right to me because according to mfp my bmr is 1464. can someone tell me how to find my proper calories . help me find the right numbers. my goal weight is to weigh 135 pounds. basicially that was what I weighed before I shot up to 250 pounds in 2010.

Replies

• marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    it says:
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1519

Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 1823

Daily calories based on goal in step 6 (-15%) 1549

Daily calories based on goal in step 6 (-20%) 1458

So eat 1458 a day and eat back your exercise (or save some for a rainy day)

And the answer is A...

An exercise is an execsise... but don't undereat.
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    thanks will set my calories to 1458 and focus on that first.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating properly first - that way you will be in a better condition to increase your exercise. Need the right fuel in the tank to move the body well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating properly first - that way you will be in a better condition to increase your exercise. Need the right fuel in the tank to move the body well.

This. I waited 2-3 weeks to start exercising until I was sure the eating was under control and I wasn't going to binge because I was so hungry from working out.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    A. taking my undereating class and work on eating my proper calories

B. work on bumping my work outs from lightly active to active

also for those who work out and are consider active how many days a week do you work out? how many minuets?

these are my first two goals I want to work on but for me its easier to do baby steps and focus on 1 goal at a time.

Scoobysworkshop said for a lightly active person 5'4 inches tall 171 pounds wanting a 15% reduction to eat 1457 calories however that doesn't seem right to me because according to mfp my bmr is 1464. can someone tell me how to find my proper calories . help me find the right numbers. my goal weight is to weigh 135 pounds. basicially that was what I weighed before I shot up to 250 pounds in 2010.

I have no idea what an "under eating class" is and the words "proper calories" are equally ambiguous. I don't know what you define as "lightly active" or "active". Neither are actual goals but instead, they seem to be pathways "to goals". I'm assuming you want to lose weight but just didn't come right out and say it.

Any number that you get from an online BMR calculator is a good place to start but if you're looking for an exact number that works for you specifically then you'll be in some disappointment. How many calories you burn at rest will vary a bit day to day and that's without factoring in activity. Finding the "right numbers" are a matter of trial and error but starting with your BMR and tweaking that number is what most people do. For losing weight you'd subtract a reasonable amount of calories, i.e. 300-500. As you lose weight you continue to adjust for your new BMR. Exercise can help you speed up the fat loss but diet is key. Don't be so dogmatic about exact number, in the end you'll find out that you're working with a range of numbers not a specific one and even that range will change.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Health, Wt Loss and Maintenance is 90% DIET (What YOU EAT!) and 10% Activity...if you reverse this you are asking for failure in the long run!!! NOW YOU make the decision.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Focus on what you're eating first. What you're eating and when you're eating is is more important than exercise right now. Once you feel you have a handle on the eating part, then you can safely add the exercising part.