who do you surround yourself with?

Options
One of the most important ways you can get and keep positive in your life is with the company you keep. Do your friends uplift you, or bring you down? I am blessed with people in my life that just makes me smile, and who just pushes me to reach my goals and lifts me higher, and they appreciate me for who i am...which is me, and i do the same for them. When you surround yourself with people that are positive...its contagious!:) feel free to add me:)

Replies

• Fittykitty11
    Fittykitty11 Posts: 124
    Options
    I have a weird number when it comes to percentages of supporters. About 25% of my aquaintences are also on the fitness route so support is very easy between us. 50% kind of just smile and nod, make good comments when they feel like it and don't question what I do or eat. The other 25% either don't talk about it at all or are downers. I avoid them as much as possible.
  • Browneyedgirl140
    Browneyedgirl140 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I feel like my cowarkers, close friends, and boyfriend all encourage me and know what I am trying to lose weight. However, I lack in the friends that are motivated too. I have found that I can't rely on workout buddies so I do all my workouts on my own, it got a little lonely. Now I love workout by myself, it MY TIME to relax and think about me.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Fellow sociopaths and influential individuals of whom I have compromising photographs, several hundred mooks, henchmen and redshirts. The occasional goon and a one eyed, middle aged stripper
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Fellow sociopaths and influential individuals of whom I have compromising photographs, several hundred mooks, henchmen and redshirts. The occasional goon and a one eyed, middle aged stripper

I dig yo style
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Supportive, nice people!
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options

Sounds like we run in the same circles!!! :smokin:
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I have a small group of ladies who are my friends. I met them through Zumba classes, and they're the best. I'd like to say I get most of my support from them, but they have their moments where they tempt me. They do recognize and accept me for who I am, though.

I do NOT consider anyone I work with as "friend worthy", so I make it a point not to hang out with anyone from work, outside of work, unless it's a work mandated event. And I only discuss business with them.

I'm polite, but can be standoffish. I'm there to do a job, not make friends and join cliques. I didn't do it in high school, and I won't do it as an adult.
  • chanixxx
    chanixxx Posts: 64
    Options
    unfortunately, idiots.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    As I continue on my health/fitness journey I find myself spending more time with friends from the gym, etc. and less with those that are not into the lifestyle. I just find the idea of regularly going out, eating garbage and drinking thousands of empty calories, only to wake up the next morning feeling like crap no longer enjoyable. My wife and I both have commented that getting a good nights sleep and waking up early the next morning to go for a run with friends or meet some friends for a good workout and healthy meal afterwards to be much more fulfilling.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    my friends don't really have anything to do with encouraging my fitness goals. i suppose i have a few friends who i encourage but i never feel motivated by what other people do or say but more by what i do and say. i work out alone but i have a couple girl friends who live far away that i text with after the gym. partially because it makes me proud and partially because it motivates them some more.

that said i make it a point to surround myself with awesome people who make me more awesome by the fact that i have them around. i am not friends with people who do not bring something uplifting to the table. what's the point in that?
  • Silvervixen79
    Silvervixen79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would say pretty much everyone I know, including my husband, are people that would love to lose abit of weight, be more actice etc etc but when it comes down to it are not prepared to put in the work. I see their good intentions over and over again, but they only stick with it for a couple days and then give into junk/fried food. Its so dissapointing.

I have the willpower that seems to elude them, I just stick with the plan and they ask how much I've lost now... and then when I tell them, they seem abit bitter and say 'good for you'. But only they can choose what they put in their mouths.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I said goodbye to my best friend of 14 years last July because she (repeatedly) told me to reverse my lap band after losing over 100lbs in the previous year. In hindsight, she is overweight and maybe was upset that I had found success and she hadn't.

Definitely keep positive/uplifting company if you want success! :)
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I have 4 cats who have kept me a slave to them for many years :laugh:
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Nearly everyone I know is healthy and successful in life! True story! I choose to be around people who make me feel good about life, about myself, and who see possibility rather than problems.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I have 4 cats who have kept me a slave to them for many years :laugh:

Isn't that our job as mere, defenseless, fangless, clawless, beings? That's what ours told us.