I admit it, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Options
13»

Replies

• Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I can push to eggs I think. I'm gonna have to just get over that... but the consistency really makes me gag. But fish is a no go.

I have brown rice, and use it for things like curries, but find it takes an age to cook, so don't use it too often. Its also more expensive than white rice.

I can get mince real cheap in my supermarket, and do buy it frequently, but other cuts are done on weight and priced before they get to the store, so buying more than you need ends up being really expensive (they have no meat counter).

I haven't had steak in about 15 years, same with pork chops. I could probably handle pork chops if they're only a couple of pounds.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat eggs if you really don't like them.
    I have found that eggs have a bit of a different texture depending on how you cook them. Maybe having them scrambled with chicken and veggies mixed in, maybe some soy sauce or seasonings or something with it, like a stir fry.... that could be easier to eat then just eating eggs by themselves.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I can push to eggs I think. I'm gonna have to just get over that... but the consistency really makes me gag. But fish is a no go.

I have brown rice, and use it for things like curries, but find it takes an age to cook, so don't use it too often. Its also more expensive than white rice.

I can get mince real cheap in my supermarket, and do buy it frequently, but other cuts are done on weight and priced before they get to the store, so buying more than you need ends up being really expensive (they have no meat counter).

I haven't had steak in about 15 years, same with pork chops. I could probably handle pork chops if they're only a couple of pounds.
    As I said earlier, you can buy more than you need right now, but freeze the remainder. Yes it is more out of pocket now, but you will save money in the weeks ahead because you will already have it. Buying anything on a week to week basis is going to be more expensive in the long run than buying in bulk and freezing.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Options
    But I HAVE to buy things on a week to week basis because my budget doesn't stretch to buy something in bulk. If I buy something in bulk, it means having to cut something else out that we need.
  • socialkombat
    Options
    Ditto on whoever said beans - beans are really good for you, deliver fiber and protein in a good quantity for the caloric bargain and you can do so much with them. Add them to salads, make them into soups, lots of possibilities. Also, generally can be found on sale!
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    where abouts do you live?

shopping online at asda has free delivery i think. gonna be much much much cheaper than going to a tescos extra.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Options
    I mainly use Iceland for my frozen things, and I get free delivery. I have to pay for delivery from Asda unless I spend over £100, which lets face it, is not gonna happen any time soon lol. My friend will usually take me to Asda if I ask her, but I don't often have reason to go. I get my veg and stuff at Tesco.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I mainly use Iceland for my frozen things, and I get free delivery. I have to pay for delivery from Asda unless I spend over £100, which lets face it, is not gonna happen any time soon lol. My friend will usually take me to Asda if I ask her, but I don't often have reason to go. I get my veg and stuff at Tesco.
    do they have food stamps in the UK? I think if you were here in the US, you'd be using them.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Low fat, or no fat cottage cheese? Gives a lot of protein per cup.
  • alexsis88
    alexsis88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Is there an Aldi grocery store nearby? They are super cheap on groceries and I know they are nationwide!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Aldi or Lidl are great for staples - they're not brands you mgiht recognise because a lot of them are Continental, but they're fine. Also, make a point of going to your Tesco near the end of the day when they mark stuff down - itf you are going to use it by the "use by" (which is often a day or more later than "sell by") you might get yourself a real bargain. Also frozen meat is often a lot cheaper than fresh - it may have added water but if you want to ring the changes occasionally maybe give it a try.

Also have a look at the websites recommended for budget ideas. Or look in charity shops for old cookery books to get some ideas - especially ones aimed at students.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    do they have food stamps in the UK? I think if you were here in the US, you'd be using them.

lol you clearly have no idea about our benefit system here.
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    3 chicken breasts (pre-cooked) in a store with less than decent quality food, is £3, fresh from a butcher, it's by weight and ends up a lot more. My other halfs sister once bragged to me they bought some lamb which cost £16, and I quietly gnawed my cheek, because thats half my usual weekly budget. Half my weekly budget on one cut of meat for two people, to me, seems wasteful, but then I'm poor, haha so maybe I'm being biased.

I use olive oil now when cooking, but I didn't before, though the dietician recommends I don't fry anything!

Wholefoods, should be much cheaper than they are, but pre-packaged, processed food is so much cheaper. I try to buy fresh when I can, unbreaded, unbattered, it's not always possible, and its something I really tear my hair out over. This should be so much easier than it is haha.

Lentils and beans, not so much. I don't know how to wow them up, so to me beans = bland and boring. But I would be very interested to hear ways to make them tasty and nice!

Prepacked, processed food is NOT cheaper! I have two young boys and the worst thing I ever did was get them used to that junk. The best thing I've ever done for them was switch to whole foods. You have to make your own muffins, granola bars etc, but whole foods on a budget is totally doable!
  • CM9178
    Options

lol you clearly have no idea about our benefit system here.
    Nope, that's why I was asking.