Sweet Troothers

Options
Hi, my name is Jessica. I am addicted to sweets. I love sugar, and I come from a long line of sweet tooths. As of yesterday, I have decided to be sugar free and soda free. I have done this in the past, and shed a lot of weight. For me, I can hardly keep weight on if I am not eating sweets.

I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that would like to quit sugar with me. I don't go too extreme. I still allow myself to have honey in my tea, milk, and eat plenty of fruit. However, anything that contains more than 4g of sugar does not go in my mouth. The first 2 weeks are the most difficult.

If anyone else wants to join in, let me know. I would love support. Even if it's just to complain about the headaches from detoxing from sugar.

Replies

• pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    good luck! i gave up my normal faves- regular soda (still drink coke zero for caffiene), candy, cookies, cakes, etc back in april... didn't help with weight because i was still endulging in fried foods... it wasn't a weight loss thing anyway- it was just a will power kick i wanted to go on! been great so far... and you're right- the first 2 weeks- KILLER!
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    I wish I could do this, I really do! This is my biggest weakness as well. I think I may have to join you if I want to lose this last 10 pounds.
  • marie2779
    marie2779 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica! I too am addicted to sugar... I LOVE diet coke... I mean I have a serious problem with it. I had decided to cut it out of my diet since I haven't seen any budges on the scale lately (except up :( ) I like the idea of the 4g rule. I would like to give this a try with you. I had my last diet coke this morning- I won't be any more. Good luck to us!!
  • fatbegone2010
    Options
    Hi Jessica,

I would love to join you!!! I've been extremely addicted to sweets for several years now and it is the main reason why I've been having such a hard time losing weight. Just recently (yesterday) I've been allowing myself only to have sugar in the morning i.e. (my cereal or oatmeal, if flavored, coffee...) but I'm really trying hard to stay away from cake - my biggest addiction and all other (bad) refined sugars. I generally will eat fruit as a substitution. I cut out soda way long ago and haven't had a problem with that ( I will take a couple sips every now and then of my hubbys soda but that's it) so yes, glad you brought this topic up because sugar is so addictive it's crazy and I just want to rid myself from this habit before it gets any worse than it already has.
  • chelleim
    chelleim Posts: 78
    Options
    I love this idea! I really need to cut out sugars as I have PCOS and insulin resistance. This will be a great test to my will power but will only serve me in the long run. I have already cut out pop and now I need to move on to other sweets such as the candy, cookies, cakes, etc. I am in!

Good luck everyone!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea. I'm in
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Oops - just added sugar tracking and I'm shocked...I'm glad I decided to start looking at it. Even though I keep under my goal for carbs, my sugar intake is way high (I'm almost 40g above where I should be for the day with my projected menu plan). You can't fix what you don't know. Now that I know it, I'm going to have to fix it....LOL....tomorrow. Since I have already prepared all my foods for the day :(
  • chelleim
    Options
    I made spaghetti last night and I was surprised to see that my spaghetti sauce had 9g of sugars. I knew it had sugars but I didn't think that much.

That is a good idea to add sugars to your tracking!
  • marie2779
    Options
    So- day one without soda.. wow I have a bad withdrawal headache!! I usually drink at least 4 cans of diet coke a day (shame on me!!) and it has officially been 30 hours since my last soda. I haven't done as well eliminating sugar in my daily diet, but I did at "sugar" to my log to track and I am trying to be more aware of it- I think I'm going to have to tackle one thing at a time. If I can break the soda habit- that will be major for me.
  • pressica
    Options
    I am on day 2 without sugar, fast food, or soda. It is amazing how many times I almost slip without thinking about it. I had no idea how often I ate sweets before now. Marie2779, I feel your pain with the withdrawal headaches. At around 3:30 PM, my head says, "where the hell is my sugar? I am going to give you a headache until you hand it over." The first 2 weeks are the worst!! After that, it will get easier and will be less awful.

The only think I don't like about the sugar tracking on MFP is that there is no way to differentiate the fruit and milk sugars. I don't worry about them as much as processed sugars. In fact, I don't think I would survive without my grapes and cherries today.
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Are fruit and milk sugars OK? I am allotted 28 (grams? Tsp?) of sugar per day...I LOVE bananas, but if i eat one, BAM gone are 10 of those 'points'. I used to eat at least 3 a day (they are pretty cheap around here, so i usually have them on hand). I ate 1/2 pint of blueberries, and it took me over. Half a dozen grapes, an apple...all of them.

I am in week three, not sure if i have lost anything as i haven;t got a scale, but my jeans are looser! I have been doing great with the calories, i am about 100 to 200 under 6 days out of 7 and walk 30 minutes each way to work, which is probably why i am under most days. So, because i have mastered the calories, i am focusing on sugars and sodium although not so much the latter because i only go over about 1 or 2 days a week, not much a salt eater, and i have never added it to food. Just have to focus on what is already in it.

I have been officially off pop for a long time, my only other weakness is home made cookies...only because i love to bake. I have two heather recipes to try, but one has bananas and applesauce in it.

So what about the fruit? Can i bring it back? I miss my bananas!!
  • jessimica_b2
    jessimica_b2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    sugars are necessary, and foods that contain carbs naturally (potatoes) are jam packed full of nutrients... I would say cut out processed sugars. but that's just me.
  • chelleim
    Options
    I would definitely not cut out fruit. The natural sugars in fruit are broken down differently than the sugars in candy or "processed sugars". Fruit is totally good for you. Definitely eat enough but don't go overboard. A piece of fruit is better for you any day than a piece of candy or cake.

When I vowed to cut out sugars i was specifically looking at candy, cakes, cookies, pop, etc. Sugars that are empty calories and don't come with much nutritional value.

Good luck!
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    thanks!
    Bring back bananas! Yum! :-)
  • crystal081
    crystal081 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm in. I did it before, and dropped 60 lbs, so i'm game to do it again!
  • fitterpam
    Options
    My nutritionist recommended 1-2 fruit a day max since they are full of sugars and make the rest of your 5-10 f&veg of the vegetable variety. I try and get my fruit in with breakfast and then a morning snack so I have time to have the sugars run through my body before bedtime...seems to work for me. Now just to cut out the evening puddings .... LOL I'm such a hypocrite sometimes....
  • marie2779
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is doing well. I am not cutting out fruits either and am trying to stay away from processed sugar... I did well with no soda- it has now been 48 hours... I really WANT one but I'm not caving! Thanks for the info about the first two weeks being the hardest Jessica- hopefully they will fly by! :) I did ok on my processed sugar yesterday- I did slip up and have dessert last night- it was low calorie so I enjoyed some and then after I ate it I thought oh man- even though it's low calorie it's full of sugar! Hopefully soon enough I'll be n the mindset to watch calories and sugar.
  • pressica
    Options
    I am just talking primarily about processed sugars. You can look at the book "Sugarbusters" as an example of what I am talking about. I still allow myself my milk and fruit. Fruit is essential to your diet. I just find that I am so much healthier when I cut out sugar, candy, cookies, brownies, cakes, on and on and on! That is why I started it. I am also focusing on more exercise.