I'm Going to Vegas & I need advice!! HELP!!

Options
I have currently been using MFP for about 4 months and I have lost 29lbs so far! I have been doing great with my excercises and sticking to my diet and the results have been awesome. However, I am going to Las Vegas (5/25 - 5/29) and I don't want to fall completely off track and let all of my hard work go to waiste but I still want to have fun and have a few drinks too. I was thinking about sticking to a meat and veggie diet but I don't know. ANY ADVICE????

Replies

• Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If it were me, that is exactly what I would do. I'm not normally low carb but I would definitely avoid carby foods while still enjoying meats/veggies/fruits...and alcohol.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    There are many other option on the strip besides your hotel. Find them. http://www.lasvegasmaps.com/stripmap.html
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    ez...the 10 dayz before Vegas..and i will also be there very soon:) ...eat right pretty clean around maine. or a bit below...the DAY before vegas fast for most of it ..or go super low cal like 1000 calories..while in vegas GO ****ING NUTS!!! really just enjoy...hit the gym at the hotel as well..you will thank me trust me..you will probably gain muscle and lose fat!! I do this all the time...
    hope this helps:)
    Kristian Rocco
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Dude. Enjoy Vegas.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You probably already have a room, but if you don't, the Luxor has a full weight room including a squat rack.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    In all honesty.... have fun and let loose!! I went to vegas in Feb after losing about 30lbs. I ate and drank whatever I wanted but knew when I got home that it was time to hit it hard. I am now over 50lbs lost and haven't missed a beat. To me this journey is all about a new lifestyle. I still love my chocolate and potatoes but have learned how to limit myself. I know that when I go on vacay in June I can be a little more relaxed about my eating but when I get home it's go time!
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    It's Vegas. Think of it as a vacation. Relax and enjoy yourself. 99% of the hotels have gyms, so hit those in the morning to get your workout in (they are usually completely empty or have only one other person in there from my experience). Also avoid the "All You Can Eat" buffets... those are a trap!

Enjoy Vegas! I recommend hitting up Carnival Court one night. The bartenders and the band (the Crashers, if they are still there) are amazing!
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan if you eat fairly healthy it won't be so bad having those drinks. Enjoy your trip to Vegas and don't worry too much about the logging, don't go over weekly calories by too much and be sure to get completely back on track when you return.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    In all honesty.... have fun and let loose!! I went to vegas in Feb after losing about 30lbs. I ate and drank whatever I wanted but knew when I got home that it was time to hit it hard. I am now over 50lbs lost and haven't missed a beat. To me this journey is all about a new lifestyle. I still love my chocolate and potatoes but have learned how to limit myself. I know that when I go on vacay in June I can be a little more relaxed about my eating but when I get home it's go time!

What she said. Las Vegas is just too awesome to restrict yourself from enjoying a treat here and there, and has some very fine dining!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I went to Vegas last year after I had lost some weight and didn't change how I ate at all before going - and had my fair share of drinks pretty much every day I was there and didn't gain an ounce. I gained all my weight back after coming home and getting lazy about getting back into my routine lol. Don't stress about it. If you are going on vacation enjoy your vacation without changing too much about what you currently eat.
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    agreed! go to the buffets and eat all the crab legs you can stand :)
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have currently been using MFP for about 4 months and I have lost 29lbs so far! I have been doing great with my excercises and sticking to my diet and the results have been awesome. However, I am going to Las Vegas (5/25 - 5/29) and I don't want to fall completely off track and let all of my hard work go to waiste but I still want to have fun and have a few drinks too. I was thinking about sticking to a meat and veggie diet but I don't know. ANY ADVICE????

I am going the day you leave. I'm in almost the exact same boat. I have lost 32 pounds. I am worried about this as well. My plan is low carb too. I hope that walking all day will burn lots of calories while walking. I wan't to keep my meals light to keep calories for alcohol. I'm thinking about taking some individually packed protein shakes. I'm not going to allow myself to drink until evenings to cut back on the ALL DAY calorie additions. I am fortunate in the way that my favorite drink is lower calorie. I like a Tom Colins - gin, soda, and a real lime wedge which is approximately 80 calories per ounce of gin so 6 drinks are under 500 calories so that's what I plan to budget for. I plan to allow myself to eat/drink at my full TDEE instead of -20% for the 5 days I am there. I may not lose wieght but I'll have fun.
  • Bonny619
    Options
    Yes, a "treat here or there" but not completely blowing off all the hard work he's done by saying "screw it, I'm in Vegas!!!!"

You will feel like crap when you come home 5 pounds heavier with water/sodium and yes...actual fat gain.

Take my advice, do NOT make it a free for all.

What she said. Las Vegas is just too awesome to restrict yourself from enjoying a treat here and there, and has some very fine dining!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    the way I figure it...you should not go hog wild and just really, really enjoy yourself....

tumblr_lv33waUiHb1qa6lp8.gif

lots of cardio...know what I'm saying?

tumblr_mk3n3dOHjW1s60vtwo1_500.gif

and don't come back and tell us...because then you won't be allowed in again

tumblr_m40ij3Tu591r6fge6.gif

tumblr_mftq7seB1C1rex97yo1_250.gif

tumblr_m7rzilpjfd1rvwq31o1_250.gif
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Had his a few months back. I just ate the best I could. We didn't eat much at the hotel-- more at chain restaurants, many of which will provide nutritional information so you can make better choices. For drinking, I stuck more to straight liquor rather than flavored or mixed drinks and just limited the number of my drinks, no damage done at the end of it all either.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Have fun, try to eat close to what you eat now, but remember to enjoy yourself! Sometimes taking a little break from exercise and diet can be rejuvenating, and as long as you get back to it when you get home don't worry about it. I bet all that wlaking around the strip and dancing at clubs or the pools will help keep your activity up. Also, give yourself 3 days to a week to get back to your old routine once you are home. I went to Vegas for a bachelorette party last year and good grief I needed a vacation from my vacation! Have fun and good luck!
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain at all.... If you are losing the right way you shouldn't gain weight back so quickly.
    Why bother going if you are going to restrict yourself on everything?
    Yes, a "treat here or there" but not completely blowing off all the hard work he's done by saying "screw it, I'm in Vegas!!!!"

You will feel like crap when you come home 5 pounds heavier with water/sodium and yes...actual fat gain.

• jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Man, it's Vegas.. on one hand, I say eff it and enjoy yourself.. on the other hand.. I think your low carbing while there is a great idea.. but maybe allow yourself 1 "cheat" meal a day (you really can't eat too heavy while there anyway, between all the drinking and the heat). Don't forget to count all the walking you'll be doing as exercise. Enjoy! Vegas is a blast : )
  • magisy
    magisy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be out there a few days before you. My plan is that I'm
    -currently exercising more, eating pretty clean, etc.
    -planning to make relatively healthy meal choices out there (although I tend to consume carbs when I know I'm going to be drinking- seems to help me from getting tipsy too fast)
    -still planning to drink (1-2 night will likely be pretty heavy considering the events/company), but try to drink water every 2 or so drinks (primarily a few nights b/c I'm tagging along on my bf's business stuff and I don't have the alcohol tolerance he does... don't want to embarrass him :drinker: )
    -walk, walk, walk while out there (which is NOT hard to do!)
    -pack Spanx. despite all my plans, I may need them by the end of the stay! (probably not something you'll need though- haha)
  • Bonny619
    Options
    Why bother going? Because fun doesn't have to equate to gorging yourself. At least not to me. I think free for alls are BAD ideas. Just my opinion.
    I didn't gain at all.... If you are losing the right way you shouldn't gain weight back so quickly.
    Why bother going if you are going to restrict yourself on everything?