Just Lost My First 50, No Change in Appearance

Options
I started this in January and just weighed myself this morning and have lost my first 50 lbs! I was so excited. But, I am still in the same size jeans, bra, etc.
I started off (and still am) pretty big. SW was 397. CW is 346. I know the bigger you are, the longer it takes to notice, but how much do I have to lose before someone does? I know everyone's different, but has anyone else started at a large number that took a large number loss to notice (yourself or others)?

Replies

• cortana01
    cortana01 Posts: 55
    Options
    Me! I'm 63lbs down and have finally gone down a jeans size. I didn't see any difference either in the mirror or with the tape measure untill I hit 60.
    Keep up the good work, you'll soon see results :flowerforyou:
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel discouraged. (I just walked myself back from a vacuum of motivation). It's hard when you put the same clothes on and you don't think it's coming off as fast as you want. But part of what is probably happening is that some of the space vacated by fat is being filled in a little with new muscle. For myself, my thighs actually looked a little bigger after I started exercising...

I tried to cheer myself up by realizing that I no longer feel as if I do feel so much better: breathing, sleeping, stronger... the other stuff will come. Take it on faith, just a little bit longer. :smile:
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My measurements have stayed the same but I am somehow in a smaller pant size. Go figure. Enjoy your accomplishment! Down 50 lbs, whoo-hoo!! :drinker:
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    50 pounds is amazing! Keep doing what you're doing, you'll feel and see the difference!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    As hard as it is, take some pictures now - because I bet it is noticeable. Don't have to show them to anyone but yourself if you don't want.

Lots of people will NOT comment out of politeness, because it's a difficult subject that can blow up in your face. Don't gauge your progress by what other people say.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Did you take measurements? If not. DO IT. I did the 30 day shred. Lost 6 lbs, 4.6 inches in 30 days. When you can't "see" it the measuring tape might say something else...even if your still in the same clothes.

Good luck. Keep it going!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    My first 100 lbs, I lost 4 sizes. Not bad, but not great considering my starting size was a 24.

My last 37 lbs, I've lost 5 sizes. 16 to a 6.

I know it's discouraging as hell. It certainly was for me. But just keep on trucking. One day, you're going to hit a point where you can't keep track of what size you are, because pants will keep getting bigger and bigger every day.

Good luck to you, hun.
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started this in January and just weighed myself this morning and have lost my first 50 lbs! I was so excited. But, I am still in the same size jeans, bra, etc.
    I started off (and still am) pretty big. SW was 397. CW is 346. I know the bigger you are, the longer it takes to notice, but how much do I have to lose before someone does? I know everyone's different, but has anyone else started at a large number that took a large number loss to notice (yourself or others)?
    Its the TALLER you are the longer it takes to notice...the bigger you are, the FASTER you lose o..o
  • BrandenRandall78
    Options
    50 Pounds is huge. You may not see a difference, but do you feel a difference?

Just keep doing what you are doing because you are doing something right with a loss like that!
  • grumpster72
    grumpster72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You need to remember that everyone is built differently. We gain weight in different ways and we lose weight in different ways. Don't let this discourage you and look at the bright side, you've lost 50lbs. The bigger question is, how do you feel? That's what really counts. The pride that you should feel because you've accomplished something great. If you feel good, even great about yourself and realize what you've done and are continuing to do, the rest will come. Keep it up!!!
  • castillope
    castillope Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was feeling your pain when I read this because I was having the same issue. My saving grace was that I am seeing a nutritionist who has been measuring my body fat,, lean tissue and water content. She was able to show me that even though I wasn't seeing any visible results my measurements were actually showing my decrease in fat and my increase in lean tissue. I continued to work and soon I started seeing changes in my belt sizes and my clothes started fitting better. Now people that don't see me often have started to comment and the weight seems to be coming off a little easier. Keep doing what you're doing but if you need some assistance consider consulting a nutritionist. :smile:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    My first 100 lbs, I lost 4 sizes. Not bad, but not great considering my starting size was a 24.

My last 37 lbs, I've lost 5 sizes. 16 to a 6.

I know it's discouraging as hell. It certainly was for me. But just keep on trucking. One day, you're going to hit a point where you can't keep track of what size you are, because pants will keep getting bigger and bigger every day.

Good luck to you, hun.

:flowerforyou:

Do you have any pics? Maybe we can see what you cannot.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    think of it like this, if you have 2 cups of water in a small bowl, and remove 1 cup, it will make a huge difference... but if you remove 1 cup of water from a mixing bowl full of water, the difference will be much more wide spread, and it would take more to show the drop, you know. dont worry, you will see it, however, your loss is from your entire body, and as you said, you have alot to lose, so, give it time, it will show... 50 pounds is a great loss, and its just a matter of time before you start seeing big changes!
  • verrillamy
    verrillamy Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't get discouraged!!! you are doing great and go by how you feel....
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!!! That is an incredible accomplishment!
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!!! Maybe you can't see the changes on the outside but think of all the changes INSIDE!!! You're becoming so much healthier!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Your clothes may be the same size, but do they fit the same?

I know after 36 lbs I have a few things that I am still wearing from before. The difference is that before they were uncomfortable, and the muffin top was quite profound. Now when I wear them they fit comfortably, often getting loose as the day goes on (especially with jeans).

It is difficult when you lose a decent amount but don't feel it shows. But how you feel matters too. The rest will catch up. Good luck!
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Please don't get discouraged! It's awesome that you have lost 50 lbs already :flowerforyou: i agree with the other poster that suggested taking a picture & comparing it as you'll probably see a difference there.

For me personally, i've been at a plateau for a good while now & i still have people ask me how much more weight i have lost {these are people i see regularly}.
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    Congrats on losing 50 lbs that is a great accomplishment. I've lost almost 40 lbs and I personally can barely see a difference and I don't think I'll see one when I hit 50 lbs either. I think it depends where you lose the weight first, unfortunately I have lost some of my chest (and not the good way around, it's more in the cup size). I didn't measure inches in the beginning but I feel that I must have lost some inches because shirts that were tight actually fit more loosely now. A few coworkers have said they can tell I am losing weight, especially in my face.

Focus on how you feel, because although I cannot see the difference so much I feel much better. I have more energy and I've completed workouts I was never able to complete before. My endurance has improved.

You and everyone will notice and clothes sizes will change, but until then be patient and just enjoy feeling better. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Take lots of pictures. Front, side, rear and compare them. I have lost 60 pounds and still wear the same jeans and clothes that I wore then. Started 251, now 190. I nowhere near look the same and yes my clothes are hanging off of me but they still fit and I wear them everyday. Everyone can tell I have lost weight but if I just judged it based on my clothes I wouldnt think so.

You are doing GREAT!! Keep up the good work!