Run Disney's latest race

Options
Has anyone seen what Disney is offering now? They just added a 10k race to their marathon weekend and are doing a "Dopey Challenge", which is:

5k Thursday
10k Friday
Half Marathon Saturday
Full Marathon Sunday

I live in Orlando so the travel is no issue for me, I have to say I'm seriously considering signing up for this

http://www.rundisney.com/blog/articles/introducing-the-dopey-challenge-and-inaugural-walt-disney-world-10k/

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have looked at run Disney, knowing I'd likely never do a race there, and I saw the Goofy challenge which seemed insane enough, the Dopey challenge is crazy! More power to you, it would be an amazing accomplishment!
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have looked at run Disney, knowing I'd likely never do a race there, and I saw the Goofy challenge which seemed insane enough, the Dopey challenge is crazy! More power to you, it would be an amazing accomplishment!

I did the Goofy Challenge in 2012 and it was an awesome feeling when you crossed the finish line.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I did the Goofy Challenge a couple of years ago with some family and friends. I got a text from my sister this morning wanting to know if I wanted to do the Dopey. I declined. I do ultras so the mileage doesn't faze me. I just found the course, except for the short sections through the actual parks, mind-numbingly boring.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've run 3 Goofy Challenges and will be signing up for the Dopey. I love the route but I'm a huge Disney fan so every detail is awesome to me. I will admit the route after MK is boring but the rest is fun. Good luck if you run the Dopey enjoy the 6 pieces of bling. Just wish there wasn't such an expense for the race. $495 is a lot of money
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    How do you train for this? I am doing the Runner's World Hat Trick this year...but the thought of a marathon on top of that scares me. Do you basically do an Ultra Marathon training? What do you all do?
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    Just so that you know, the Dopey Challenge is sold out for 2014 already as well as the 5K and 10K! The Goofy is still available as well as the half and full. I myself will be doing the full again!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you are in any shape to do Goofy, then Dopey is a piece of cake. It's pretty darn close to what i'd be running those days in my taper anyways. So the only way to make it more challenging than Goofy would be to actually race the 5k and 10k. Kind of hard for me to understand the point of Dopey - other than more money for Disney, or course.
  • keenho
    keenho Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I"ve run a Disney Marathon Weekend race each year since 2006...

2006: Half (My first ever)
    2007: Goofy
    2008: Goofy
    2009: Goofy
    2010: Marathon
    2011: Goofy
    2012: Marathon
    2013: Goofy

I've signed up for Goofy for 2014 already. I could have managed the "Dopey" but value my time with family and not having to get up 4 nights in a row at 3:00 AM (or there abouts). The Dopey was considerably more expensive too. Not worth it in my book. I'm still of the mind set that I want to run my best each and every race. I'm not out to just put in the miles ahead of the sweepers to collect medals and spend money.
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    I could have managed the "Dopey" but value my time with family and not having to get up 4 nights in a row at 3:00 AM (or there abouts). The Dopey was considerably more expensive too. Not worth it in my book. I'm still of the mind set that I want to run my best each and every race. I'm not out to just put in the miles ahead of the sweepers to collect medals and spend money.

Couldn't agree more with the time commitment, cost and running the best race! Maybe for 2015 I'll give the Goofy a shot!