Holy different readings batman!

Just tested out my Mio Motion on my treadmill fast walk / run. I was running at a 5 yesterday but when I checked my heart rate on my Mio it was too high so I knocked it down to a 4.5. So heres my dilemma... my Mio says I burned 139 cal for 30 minutes (13:08 at 4.5 the rest at 3.5)!!! That seems super low to me. My Runtastic program worked today and put me at 368 and my treadmill which has no height or weight info had me at about 280. What would you guys do with this info? What calculation do I use?

Replies

• Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Take an average of the three?
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    i always go low when putting in my exercises.. and high when putting in food cals. that way its conservative, that way no matter what I have a little more of a deficiency for added benefits, without restricting too much... basically tolerance room
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Heres another little tidbit... I walked last night with my husband for 27 minutes. I didn't put my hair up, didn't break a sweat really but did feel a little dampness on my back when we got home. My mio said I burned 114 calories for that. My heartrate never got above 110.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    I find Runtastic to be similar to MFP and my Treadmill reading in terms of its estimation of calories burnt. Always a fair bit higer than my HRM.

Does the Mio Motion have a chest strap? If it does, that would be your most accurate estimation (which they all are anyway).
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Caloric burn is not tied exclusively to intensity. Doing high intensity cardio for shorter durations is much better for your weight loss, even if the "burn" is less than lower intensity for longer periods (like walking). The harder you make your body work and the longer it takes your body to recover, the more long-term benefits you will see. You will get more "after burn" from high intensity workouts.

It is pretty well established on here that MFP and machines like treadmills grossly overestimate your burn. I would consider a good heart rate monitor to be vastly superior and I would go with that number.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    As for running, I pretty much follow the 100 calories a mile rule....
  • CarolElaine25
    CarolElaine25 Posts: 102
    In my admittedly limited testing, I've noticed that wrist HRMs (with no chest band) tend to be inaccurate. In my case, they've tended to way overestimate the calories burned, but I can see where they might underestimate as well. Anything that relies on pulse readings in the fingers seems to be off on calories burned, including treadmills and ellipticals (though the heart rate is usually correct).

My Polar FT7 has been much more accurate, I've felt. If you tend to walk or use treadmills a lot, I would also recommend using something like a Fitbit (I love mine). Though it's not a HRM, the estimated calories burned are much closer to my chest HRM than wrist HRMs or the HRMs on equipment.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Caloric burn is not tied exclusively to intensity. Doing high intensity cardio for shorter durations is much better for your weight loss, even if the "burn" is less than lower intensity for longer periods (like walking). The harder you make your body work and the longer it takes your body to recover, the more long-term benefits you will see. You will get more "after burn" from high intensity workouts.

It is pretty well established on here that MFP and machines like treadmills grossly overestimate your burn. I would consider a good heart rate monitor to be vastly superior and I would go with that number.

So basically I could be shooting myself in the foot ( so to speak) if I go with the calories burned from MFP? I typically eat aabout half caloried burned when I exercise...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Just tested out my Mio Motion on my treadmill fast walk / run. I was running at a 5 yesterday but when I checked my heart rate on my Mio it was too high so I knocked it down to a 4.5. So heres my dilemma... my Mio says I burned 139 cal for 30 minutes (13:08 at 4.5 the rest at 3.5)!!! That seems super low to me. My Runtastic program worked today and put me at 368 and my treadmill which has no height or weight info had me at about 280. What would you guys do with this info? What calculation do I use?

Hard to say without knowing your weight. For what it's worth, I walk a lot with my HRM, I'm 180 lbs, and for 40 minutes at 3.5-3.8mph I burn 200 calories. 30 minutes has been anywhere from 130 to 180 calories. Seems to me neither of those are accurate. What does MFP say? I've found it's usually pretty close actually. I'd enter 4mph for 30 minutes and call it a day.
  • sfdf40
    sfdf40 Posts: 32 Member
    It's all individual. I find that MFP calories burned estimation is less than what my BodyMedia FIT says, which is usually close to what the treadmill says.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    I weigh 194 (down from 279) and I'm 5'1" tall. I guess if I just eat the 1200 calories suggested by MFP and don't eat back any calories burned, I should be ok. Although we go out drinking once a week and I liked using my burned calories on that day.

It just doesn't make sense to me that I walked (fairly slow pace) for 27 minutes and burned 114 calories but I ran & fast walked (3.5-4.5) for 30 minutes and only burned an extra 15 calories.
  • justmeg86
    justmeg86 Posts: 40 Member
    I find that my HRM is usually pretty accurate with the treadmil for about the first mile then my HRM tells me more cals burned than the machine. However, I have noticed with anything else (Bike or Arc Trainer) the machine is way higher than my HRM. Seems like MFP is usually off from both, so I just go with what my HRM says.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    From my experience, I've found a few notable things about calorie burn:
    - The amounts on MFP are seldom even close to what an exercise machine or a HRM shows.
    - Exercise equipment (treadmill or elliptical) will record a higher calorie burn at lower exertion (less than 135 bpm) than I get with a HRM.
    - The HRM will record a hire calorie burn at higher exertion (greater than 145 bpm) than I get from the exercise equipment.
    - When I compare my general fatigue after a workout, it correlates best with recordings from my HRM.

Given all of the above, I take my HRM and subtract 100 calories per hour (assuming I'd have already burned 100 calories sitting still that hour as a part of my basic metabolism).
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    I would always take the lowest reading esp if you plan to eat back calories. Better to be safe then sorry.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    I weigh 194 (down from 279) and I'm 5'1" tall. I guess if I just eat the 1200 calories suggested by MFP and don't eat back any calories burned, I should be ok. Although we go out drinking once a week and I liked using my burned calories on that day.

It just doesn't make sense to me that I walked (fairly slow pace) for 27 minutes and burned 114 calories but I ran & fast walked (3.5-4.5) for 30 minutes and only burned an extra 15 calories.

I would suggest eating the workout calories back because your body needs fuel to keep your fat loss going, especially after a workout. Also many will talk about your body going into "starvation mode" if you eat too few calories and/or don't eat back your exercise stuffs.

MFP and machines will only give you estimates based on your weight and not your actual heartrate, I usually underestimate them. If you want really accurate readings get a heart rate monitor for when you walk and run, they will make the biggest difference.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    I would always take the lowest reading esp if you plan to eat back calories. Better to be safe then sorry.