diet soda...good or evil???

Options

Replies

• jelk8881
    jelk8881 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on the topic, but I do know that they definitely aren't the best for you. You should avoid drinking them on a regular basis and opt for water or sparkling mineral water instead (Sparkling Ice is my new favorite drink!). But sometimes I just really, really want a soda and I will occasionally grab a coke zero. I think moderation is the key with diet sodas.

I love sparkling Ice. Its the best flavored water out there. I used to drink soda like crazy until I found this drink. I might have a can of diet dr. pepper. at night once in awhile. But I drink Sparkling Ice all day. :drinker:
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Evil. It's bad for you even if it doesn't have calories.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    It's neither good nor evil...it just is. It's a carbonated drink. It lacks the ability to be good or evil. Drink it...or don't. Whatever floats your boat.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm a scientist and I wrote a blog post about it. http://crunchyscientist.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/obesity-carbohydrates-diet-drinks-and-correlation-studies/

But basically: My husband has in the past brought up the idea of diet drinks causing weight gain and although I explained this fallacy to him at the time, he recently brought it up again. He said he “heard that diet drinks cause weight gain because people who drink diet drinks gained more weight over years than those who don’t”. I decided to try to find where he heard this and came up with nada. The interwebs seem to have started and circulated this rumor because there isn’t a Pubmed article I could find with this claim. Some counter arguments were raised on other websites saying that the study called 2lbs “weight gain” and it was a pure correlation study.

Really, what it comes down to is that no one has any idea what possible biological mechanism could cause an artificial sweetener that does not affect insulin levels and has no calories to have anything to do with weight.

Two articles did catch my attention though:

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17992188 for more

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21696306

These articles discuss diet and weight gain, saying

Within each 4-year period, participants gained an average of 3.35 lb (5th to 95th percentile, -4.1 to 12.4). On the basis of increased daily servings of individual dietary components, 4-year weight change was most strongly associated with the intake of potato chips (1.69 lb), potatoes (1.28 lb), sugar-sweetened beverages (1.00 lb), unprocessed red meats (0.95 lb), and processed meats (0.93 lb) and was inversely associated with the intake of vegetables (-0.22 lb), whole grains (-0.37 lb), fruits (-0.49 lb), nuts (-0.57 lb), and yogurt (-0.82 lb) (P≤0.005 for each comparison). Aggregate dietary changes were associated with substantial differences in weight change (3.93 lb across quintiles of dietary change). Other lifestyle factors were also independently associated with weight change (P<0.001), including physical activity (-1.76 lb across quintiles); alcohol use (0.41 lb per drink per day), smoking (new quitters, 5.17 lb; former smokers, 0.14 lb), sleep (more weight gain with <6 or >8 hours of sleep), and television watching (0.31 lb per hour per day).

and

There is no clear evidence that altering the proportion of total carbohydrate in the diet is an important determinant of energy intake. However, there is evidence that sugar-sweetened beverages do not induce satiety to the same extent as solid forms of carbohydrate, and that increases in sugar-sweetened soft drink consumption are associated with weight gain. Findings from studies on the effect of the dietary glycemic index on body weight have not been consistent.

In fact, replacing sugary drinks with diet drinks DOES decrease BMI in children [citation], which also presumably be the case in adults.

What’s the take home message? Don’t jump on a bandwagon without reading the studies yourself.

I want to have your science babies.

TLDR; science says diet soda is NOT the devil.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I quit dt dew a few months back! I swear I am not as hungry or ill! lol but grant you thats about all i drank all day! Crazy! Started drinking water w/ lemon and my coffee at breakfast and afternoon. I dropped weight fast as soon as i quit them. But its up to you. One a day or a few a week. MODERATION.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Gah...I don't drink it myself.
    I'm tired of arguing with this professor all over the internets, so I'm posting this now.. last comment. Ratskep has the whole mess if you're interested. http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe/

niner? tiger?
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    cmon really??? is this a serious question.....Lametard

does it seem like she's joking?
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's neither good nor evil...it just is. It's a carbonated drink. It lacks the ability to be good or evil. Drink it...or don't. Whatever floats your boat.

Thumbs up!
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Question

Diet soda: Is it bad for you?

I drink diet soda every day. Could this be harmful?

Answer

from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you. The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no credible evidence that these ingredients cause cancer.

Some types of diet soda are even fortified with vitamins and minerals. But diet soda isn't a health drink or a silver bullet for weight loss. Although switching from regular soda to diet soda may save you calories in the short term, it's not yet clear if it's effective for preventing obesity and related health problems.

Healthier low-calorie choices abound, including water, skim milk, and unsweetened tea or coffee.

Very good reply...thanks for posting!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My anti-sweet tooth says all sodee pop is Evil.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is the sweet nectar that flows from God's breasts...according to studies.
  • kerrieanne1976
    Options
    I don't drink any hot drinks, and lived on coke cola, and orange juice. But they are not good on for the diet so I have changed to not sure what you call it in America but in England we call it no added sugar orange squash. Try that instead of soda
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have bigger things to worry about than Deh Ebil Dietz Zodaz.

Hell, I'm gonna die of something eventually. If I worry about all the incremental ways it might happen I'll be miserable.

I like Diet Coke, the taste, the caffiene, etc. I'm more focused on life changes in diet and exercise that have an appreciable impact. But that's just me.

I don't smoke, hardly ever drink, eat a balanced diet, exercise... Hell if a little Diet Dr. Pepper is my vice, I figure I'm ahead of many americans... :P
  • lalionne
    lalionne Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    EVIL! the only good thing in it is the water content...what is carbonation, flavoured syrup & some nasty chemical filled fake sugar going to do for you? soda in general is bad, but i believe that if you're going to drink it, go for regular soda! yeah, drinking high fructose corn syrup isn't the best, but at least it's actual sugar...and not that aspartame crap (not to mention i think regular soda tastes waaaaay better)...i just don't trust the artificial sweeteners and really, what's the point? drink some water, juice, or something else that's healthier. i only drink soda if i am out at a bar & i order a vodka with sprite...or if i break down and have fast food. every other time in my life i am drinking water, almond milk, iced tea, juice, etc.

i honestly don't see how anyone could defend soda...ESPECIALLY diet!
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I want to kick the cola. Its ripping my teeth apart.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm a scientist and I wrote a blog post about it. http://crunchyscientist.wordpress.com/2013/04/25/obesity-carbohydrates-diet-drinks-and-correlation-studies/

But basically: My husband has in the past brought up the idea of diet drinks causing weight gain and although I explained this fallacy to him at the time, he recently brought it up again. He said he “heard that diet drinks cause weight gain because people who drink diet drinks gained more weight over years than those who don’t”. I decided to try to find where he heard this and came up with nada. The interwebs seem to have started and circulated this rumor because there isn’t a Pubmed article I could find with this claim. Some counter arguments were raised on other websites saying that the study called 2lbs “weight gain” and it was a pure correlation study.

Really, what it comes down to is that no one has any idea what possible biological mechanism could cause an artificial sweetener that does not affect insulin levels and has no calories to have anything to do with weight.

Two articles did catch my attention though:

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17992188 for more

See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21696306

These articles discuss diet and weight gain, saying

Within each 4-year period, participants gained an average of 3.35 lb (5th to 95th percentile, -4.1 to 12.4). On the basis of increased daily servings of individual dietary components, 4-year weight change was most strongly associated with the intake of potato chips (1.69 lb), potatoes (1.28 lb), sugar-sweetened beverages (1.00 lb), unprocessed red meats (0.95 lb), and processed meats (0.93 lb) and was inversely associated with the intake of vegetables (-0.22 lb), whole grains (-0.37 lb), fruits (-0.49 lb), nuts (-0.57 lb), and yogurt (-0.82 lb) (P≤0.005 for each comparison). Aggregate dietary changes were associated with substantial differences in weight change (3.93 lb across quintiles of dietary change). Other lifestyle factors were also independently associated with weight change (P<0.001), including physical activity (-1.76 lb across quintiles); alcohol use (0.41 lb per drink per day), smoking (new quitters, 5.17 lb; former smokers, 0.14 lb), sleep (more weight gain with <6 or >8 hours of sleep), and television watching (0.31 lb per hour per day).

and

There is no clear evidence that altering the proportion of total carbohydrate in the diet is an important determinant of energy intake. However, there is evidence that sugar-sweetened beverages do not induce satiety to the same extent as solid forms of carbohydrate, and that increases in sugar-sweetened soft drink consumption are associated with weight gain. Findings from studies on the effect of the dietary glycemic index on body weight have not been consistent.

In fact, replacing sugary drinks with diet drinks DOES decrease BMI in children [citation], which also presumably be the case in adults.

What’s the take home message? Don’t jump on a bandwagon without reading the studies yourself.

And I'm the queen of England. How nice to meet you.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I have bigger things to worry about than Deh Ebil Dietz Zodaz.

Hell, I'm gonna die of something eventually. If I worry about all the incremental ways it might happen I'll be miserable.

I like Diet Coke, the taste, the caffiene, etc. I'm more focused on life changes in diet and exercise that have an appreciable impact. But that's just me.

I don't smoke, hardly ever drink, eat a balanced diet, exercise... Hell if a little Diet Dr. Pepper is my vice, I figure I'm ahead of many americans... :P

Preach it, brother. On a long enough timeline, all of us will get cancer even if we're otherwise immortal. If diet soda helps me live long enough to see 3d printed replacement organs, I don't care if they have to put new kidneys in every 5 years because of my diet coke and diet rockstar and diet xyience, and diet root beer. At least I don't have high cholesterol and obesity from HFCS. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it is a soft drink. it is neither good or evil. it is amoral.