New to this site

Options
Hello,

I am new to this site and am hoping that i can find the support i need in order to lose a considerable amount of weight. My partner proposed to me and we are planning a Winter 2011 wedding. I have 10 stone to lose :o(

We have an 8 month old daugher and live in London.

Part of the problem is exercise. I don't have time in a morning because we have to get to nursery for 7.30am off to work and then collect her again at 5.00pm. Partner comes home from work at about 7.30pm and then we eat our evening meal. Normally finish eating at about 8.30pm. We have not family in the area to look after our daughter so i can get to a gym, plus we can't afford gym fees.

The walk to the train station is about 5 minutes and then the walk to work is 20 minutes, both ways.

I need help to stick to the straight and low fat...and succeed! :O)

Joanne

Replies

• grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Hey Joanne :-)
    I am new here too and just getting started!
    Are there maybe some exercises you can try at home? I am sure the folks here may have some suggestions!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, Joanne! Walking can be awesome exercise, just find the time it's worth it. Good luck!
  • time2doit
    time2doit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Joanne! I just started yesterday and hope to lose weight as well. I know how important it is to lose weight for your wedding so I think sticking with daily exercise and watching your calorie intake will help you lose weight. Atleast, that is what I am hoping. A couple things I try to do is to eat breakfast daily when I am trying to lose weight. Research shows that if you eat breakfast then your metabolism will start working at that time. It pretty much kick starts it! I also try to exercise in the morning before breakfast even if it is for 10 minutes before jumping in the shower (jumping jacks, sit ups, . . . ) because it also is suppose to boost your metabolism.

Fortunately I know what to do to lose weight, but unfortunately I don't keep it a priority with my daily life so I go up and down in weight a lot:-(
  • dm9227
    dm9227 Posts: 3
    Options
    Welcome Joanne! Walking can be awesome exercise and allows you some special time with your daughter. I have started walking every other day anywhere from 3 miles to 5.5 miles depending on the time I have and watching my intake of calories. You can succeed and even surpass your goal of 10 Stone I know thats a big goal so break it down into smaller goals and make sure you celebrate your successes and congratulations on your engagement.

My goal is around 7 stone (100 lbs) and at times can feel impossible but I know I can make it happen, but those around you need to support and help you on this journey. Start small make educated decisions about your food and keep a log of everything you do (eat, exercise and how you feel) and don't forget to have fun, keep us all posted were here to push you.:laugh:
  • JoanneNoakes
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone :) I think this time i might just make it. I will definately be making this site part of my daily routine.
  • JoanneNoakes
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone :) I think this time i might just make it. I will definately be making this site part of my daily routine.
  • fun_mom
    fun_mom Posts: 54
    Options
    Hi Joanne!
    I"m new here today and I wanted to say hello. If I can do anything to help you or motivate you please reach out. I know how hard it can be to fit in healthy routines to a very busy lifestyle. I think the key is to take advantage of those moments you have to squeeze in activity. Take 30 minutes of your lunch break to walk around your building several times or to find a stairwell and walk up and down it. Find 10 or 15 minutes in the a.m. and then in the p.m. to add maybe a few sit ups or 5pd bicep curls etc. You don't necessarily need to be soaked in sweat or workout a solid hour at a time to get some benefits of activity. If your sitting watching tv and a commercial comes on, do squats or lunges until your show comes back on. I also agree with those who said walking. I have a little lake behind my house with a walking path and one time around is about a half mile so I put my headphones on and crank up my favorite high energy music and simply walk laps as fast as I can while keeping aware of engaging my core, holding my head up high and moving my arms. Good luck! Trust me if it were easy none of us would be here looking for help and support. All the advice I gave you is advice I desperately need to take myself. I wish you much success and congratulations on your engagement!
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    Hi and welcome,
    I use a lot of home exercise videos (although my daughters are older than yours so my day starts with me getting up rather than them!!). The DVDs I use are Jillian Michael's 30 day shred - which is a gradual programme (3 levels to work at) and really is 25 minutes of a good workout. I also use kettlebell workouts on DVD and when my little ones were very little I had a 3 wheel off road jogger pram and we went everywhere with them in it - I got it second hand on ebay for a complete bargain and it saved my sanity!
    Good luck working towards your goal - you'll certainly find support on here - by all means add me as a friend if you want to.
    :smile: