Extremely Impatient and Stressed new Mom

Options
I’m a new mom and extremely stressed that the weight is taking forever to come off. I’m finding myself getting angry and frustrated. Some nights it results into eating more when I shouldnt or not eating at all. . (self-sabotaging effect- which then makes you feel like crap)

Do any moms out there have advice on how to stay motivated and not get discourage?

It’s hard enough being tired all the time but to not feel good about yourself can drive you into a depression.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You have to come to terms with the fact that it's going to be a long and slow process, but also that progress (no matter how small) is still progress.
  • AprilLove125
    Options
    It takes a while. I gained almost 40 pounds with my son and I did lose it all and then gained some back, so here I am.

You sound kind of like me, struggling with willpower at night and then feelig guilty the next day. I get frustrated too, but now I'm starting to take it literally one day at a time, one meal at a time, one craving at a time. It takes work, but it's worth it.

I find a lot of support and help by keeping my food diary open and letting people chide me when I start to slip up. The accountability really helps. Seeing my friends post about exercise they did, challenges they signed up for, and seeing what they eat helps motivate me.

Think about how good it feels to go to bed knowing you made good choices. You want to be a good role model for your child and teach your kid(s) healthy habits. I know that my son watches me and takes after my choices. For example, my son LOVES fresh fruit and veggies and lots of healthy meals because he grew up with it. He's almost never sick. My stepkids eat junk because my husband does, and they refuse to eat home cooked meals and veggies because it's totally unfamiliar to them. They have concentration problems, don't sleep well, and are sick a lot. Not that ALL of these things correlate to food, but I firmly believe it plays a big part.

Be the kind of mom that inspires your child to be healthy, eat well, and love activity and exercise. It will benefit your whole family.

There are lots of ways to stay motivated. You'll find yours!! :-) Feel free to friend me if you want to start building your support team :-)

Good luck!!
  • wordyroo
    wordyroo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Give yourself at least 9-12 months. Your hormones are still fluctuating. You're not getting enough sleep, which can trigger cravings. It takes time and you're adjusting to a new life. Don't be so hard on yourself!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mom so I'm not 100% qualified to answer your questions. However, when I am tired I crave carbs. I find it super hard at the end of the day when I am tired to make good food choices. It can be hard when you are feeling overwhelmed but maybe you could try to schedule a cap nap in the late afternoon/ evening to tide you over?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I’m a new mom and extremely stressed that the weight is taking forever to come off. I’m finding myself getting angry and frustrated. Some nights it results into eating more when I shouldnt or not eating at all. . (self-sabotaging effect- which then makes you feel like crap)

That's a good recipe for gaining weight.

Might want to see someone about that anger. If it's pushing you to eat in response, it may be indicative of a deeper issue.

Best of luck!