hips and belly

Options
What's the best exercise for the hips and belly??

Replies

• l_mgrace
    l_mgrace Posts: 1
    Options
    The P90X Ab Ripper is AMAZING (it's only 15 minutes long and should not be done every day). While it is called Ab Ripper, it targets your whole core (stomach, hips and thighs).
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    To strengthen? Planks are amazing. If you're wanting to shrink those areas, no amount of targeted exercise will do that. You just have to continue to lose fat which comes through creating a caloric deficit, mostly through diet. Find some cardio you enjoy, do compound lifts with a weight that fatigues you in less than 10 reps and do some dedicated core workouts like planks, lying leg lifts or core focused Pilates.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    can't spot reduce. Look up the new rules of lifting for women, or strong lifts.
  • ha7ey
    ha7ey Posts: 10
    Options
    What's planks I've heard about these but never seen them

Thanks for replays :-)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There are several different variations on planks. A plank is basically the up position of a push-up. You can also do them with your elbows on the floor for a modification. There are side planks, and lifting an arm and a leg and all kinds of good ways to change them up.

http://www.bodyresults.com/e2planks.asp
  • ha7ey
    Options
    Thanks Jen I'll check this out :-)
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can attest to ab ripper, however, it is important to strengthen the ENTIRE core. You can't have good abs without a good back- true story.

Also, if you just want to have fun Belly Dance is amazingly effective and there are decent tutorials on youtube and various other sites.
  • charles877
    charles877 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have a big waist and I seen this thread and that website that Jen provided looks great, I'm bookmarking it.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Planks are really good because they do work the whole core and not just the belly. I don't have a picture of what a plank is, but maybe someone will be able to post a pic for you.

Are you interested in strengthening your whole body? Spot reducing doesn't generally work. Ab ripper is good as is the whole p90x program.
  • ha7ey
    Options
    I want to loose weight off my hips and stomach as well as tone up, if found them the hardest place to loose it