my muffin top wont go away. . . HELP

Options
I have been doing good at losing weight but I can't seem to get rid of this muffin top. Any suggestions? I run, do crunches, planks, have tried burpees (although I'm not sure I understand them) :) Also the flab on my upper arm, I do weights. . .if anyone has suggestions Id appreciate it:drinker:

Replies

• goofie03
    goofie03 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi!1

I'm right there with you! I know that doesn't help at all, but I've tried eating less and exercising. While I have lost weight, I still have the muffin top. It just likes being with me, I guess. I'm not looking for any magic cures, just something that will work. Hopefully we'll hear from someone who has something!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Get pants that fit your waist :)

You probably know you cannot spot-reduce--your body's composition is determined by your genes, so where you lose fat is not something you can control. If you want to save time, though, I suggest lifting heavy weights or doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) and eating at a deficit; that seems to be the quickest way to reduce the overall amount of fat on your body.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My muffin top and upper thighs are the last place I lose weight. I started heavy lifting a few months ago, and the fat is slowly leaving.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing with 1 minor change... be more patient.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Get pants that fit your waist :)

xthumb.gif
  • eswartz0728
    eswartz0728 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm pretty new to all this fitness stuff what do you mean by High intensity interval training? Lol I just read your first comment and I would probably look like a gangster if I got pants to fit my muffin top :) So I use ten pound weights and do curls etc. Would doing like squats or anything like that help? I have a weight bench but like I said I'm really new at this stuff.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I checked your diary and you aren't logging your food intake. How are you sure you are not over/under eating? No amount of exercise overcomes a bad diet.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to all this fitness stuff what do you mean by High intensity interval training? Lol I just read your first comment and I would probably look like a gangster if I got pants to fit my muffin top :) So I use ten pound weights and do curls etc. Would doing like squats or anything like that help? I have a weight bench but like I said I'm really new at this stuff.

There are a couple of groups dedicated to this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/7741-high-intensity-interval-taining-hiit

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

HIIT means you do some sort of cardio at your top speed for a short amount of time, say, 30 seconds or a minute, followed by an interval of lower-intensity activity. For example, sprint at 9 mph for 1 minute, then jog at 5 mph for 3, then repeat. Or whatever is appropriate for you. The point is that HIIT works much quicker for fat reduction than steady-state cardio; you can accomplish the same results in something like half the time.

Lifting heavy works similarly (for reasons I won't get into): you lift the heaviest weight you can, then rest, then repeat. I would guess you can probably try something heavier than 10 lb weights. If you have access to a gym with barbells, those are the standard equipment, although you can get a lot done with dumbbells, too (look up the book New Rules of Lifting for Women). You will gain a lot of strength, and don't worry about gaining big muscles--it's hard for a woman.

Good luck--and I was serious about better-fitting pants. You should always have at least one pair of pants that does not make your skin bulge above the waistline, even if it means buying a size you don't want to admit to being.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't spot reduce. I agree that you should try different pants. If they are squeezing the fat from your lower belly upwards, there is no place for it to go but over your pants in the form of a muffin top.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Second on logging your food. I'm much more successful when I'm accurately tracking what I eat. I try to focus on staying below the macros especially sugar and sodium. I'm adding more exercise and that seems to help a great deal with feeling better. Hoping the scale will reflect this soon.

There is plenty of advice on this site. See what works for you.
  • eswartz0728
    Options
    I am logging my food intake I just switched it to public. . .I just started using this site so its only today. I am under eating at the end of the day I should typically be getting 900 more calories. Which let me say I'm not starving myself I have Graves disease and the medications are messing with my appetite. I will have to check on different pants. . . maybe I should get higher cut ones. Thank you all for the responses
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D helps. Try a good D3K2 supplement if absolutely nothing else is working.

Also leg lifts. Leg lifts are good.
  • DANADUCK1
    DANADUCK1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Definitely get pants that fit you around the belly button and not around the hips. This will help keep the stomach tucked in and show less of the muffin.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have been doing good at losing weight but I can't seem to get rid of this muffin top. Any suggestions? I run, do crunches, planks, have tried burpees (although I'm not sure I understand them) :) Also the flab on my upper arm, I do weights. . .if anyone has suggestions Id appreciate it:drinker:

My friend got this wrap that really helped her. It was just a tight wrap that she wore while doing crunches, and other ab workouts. She said saran wrap would do the same thing.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the problem isn't that the pants are too small, it is that they slide down the belly leaving more on top. Getting bigger panst just causes more sliding, at least for me. I've found that pants with a stretch band on the inside help everything to stay in place. Lee makes pants & jeans with what they call a "comfort band" but I'm sure there are other brands too.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

My friend got this wrap that really helped her. It was just a tight wrap that she wore while doing crunches, and other ab workouts. She said saran wrap would do the same thing.

point-laugh.jpg
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce. Everything you want to change is made in the kitchen. Diet will affect your BF% and fix these issues. One thing I will say is dont do so much ab work. One common complaint I hear is, I dont understand why my belly is getting larger i do abs all the time. Well the larger your abdominal muscles grow, if your bf% is not dropping your stomach will appear to stick out more. Id work on your calories and start lifting heavy weights :)
  • birdgal
    birdgal Posts: 17
    Options
    I am logging my food intake I just switched it to public. . .I just started using this site so its only today. I am under eating at the end of the day I should typically be getting 900 more calories. Which let me say I'm not starving myself I have Graves disease and the medications are messing with my appetite. I will have to check on different pants. . . maybe I should get higher cut ones. Thank you all for the responses

I would start with eliminating the soda and french fries. Increase your protein and switch to a low sugar high protein yogurt. Yoplait has added sugar.
  • eswartz0728
    Options
    you cant spot reduce. Everything you want to change is made in the kitchen. Diet will affect your BF% and fix these issues. One thing I will say is dont do so much ab work. One common complaint I hear is, I dont understand why my belly is getting larger i do abs all the time. Well the larger your abdominal muscles grow, if your bf% is not dropping your stomach will appear to stick out more. Id work on your calories and start lifting heavy weights :)

Thanks! As in you mean I need to be eating more calories?
  • strudel89
    strudel89 Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't 100% agree with "you can't spot reduce". I know you can't with cardio, but with strength training I think you can. You wont see a difference in your arms from doing crunches... That, to me, counts as spot-reduction.