do you use sauna room after your workout?

Options
so besides feeling hot and sweaty, whats does the sauna room accomplish? I tried it out for the first time after my workouts today.. would you recommend it yay or nay?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Ick. Get even hotter and sweatier? No thanks.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My husband likes to use it. He loves getting so sweaty that he drips. I don't like it.

It doesn't do anything magical, so if you don't like sitting in the heat, don't feel as though you're missing out on anything.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like it because it feels so good to have a cool shower afterwards! Plus I didn't feel so sore after I worked out if I sat in the sauna for awhile afterwards, but that's probably totally a mental thing on my part.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I do. I prefer the wet heat and use the steamroom more. There is no real therapeutic cardio/weightloss benefit from it. I just like to sweat, and I do so quite heavily, and drink a ton of water while in there to make up for it. Some will tell you there is a purge of toxins from the sweat. There is no proof of this supported anywhere, and if there is any of this effect, your internal organs do the same function much better.

The steam room always seems to help me when I am congested. I will soak in there for a cold or sinus infection to break it up and be able to use it as an expectorant. Otherwise, the effects are those of relaxation, and maybe some pain relief.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I sometimes sit in the steam room. To me, it just feels kind of luxurious to relax for a minute in a spa like setting after a workout. I normally don't have much time to do that, so when I do, it feels incredible! Plus, I love how refreshing it makes my shower feel. I don't think there are any health benefits to it though, so if it's not your thing, then don't bother!