wanting new exercises

Options
Looking for new exercises or set/rep to keep me from getting "bored" with the gym. I do not have equipment at home, and have access to a gym for free so pretty much all the equipment you can think of is available to me. I work upper body 2x a week, lower body 2x a week, and see a trainer on the other day. I have looked at various websites trying to find new things, but I keep finding the same things.

This week I am uping the weight i use each time to build. I am using the method I learned in HS from my weighlifting class, where you up the weight and do 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps (for the week because I only focus on that body part twice each week). Then do 2-3 sets of 12 reps for the next week. Finally do 3 sets of 15 reps each.

I have though about trying the pyramid scheme, 10-12-15-12-10 or 8-10-12-10-8, but not really sure if that's worth it. I haven't heard too much.

Any ideas are appreciated. I have done all kinds of things to keep it interesting, I'm just running out of ideas. Thanks again!!!

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Get a subscription to SHAPE magazine. They have different routines every month that you can do with minimal equipment.
  • lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Options
    Have you tried 21s?

Break each exercise down into 2 components so like an arm curl would be a move from arm to straight down then arm to fully curled. Do 7 reps of the fisrt part, then 7 reps of the second part then 7 reps of the whole curl.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Check out SHAPR or go to Fitness.com, they have TONS of routines to try there, many with little to no equipment needed.
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    Have you tried 21s?

Break each exercise down into 2 components so like an arm curl would be a move from arm to straight down then arm to fully curled. Do 7 reps of the fisrt part, then 7 reps of the second part then 7 reps of the whole curl.

I have never even heard of 21s. It's something to try.

I'll have to check out the websites and magazines...not normally a magazine person but if it's worth it...
  • podgirl
    podgirl Posts: 2
    Options
    Have you thought of trying exercise that use just use your body weight ( e.g press ups, dips, squats, lunges etc)?
    If you see a PT regularly they should be able work your whole body just as effectively with these sorts of exercises, plus it feels so different to weight training, makes a nice change to do something completely different.
    If you don't like the sound of this try super sets using free body weight exercises & resistance machines.
    or...... try a pump class?? just in case you were wondering..... i'm a fitness instructor myself!!! :glasses:
  • Stella_Does
    Options
    You could have a look at tabata workouts? Higher intensity for a shorter period of time.

Or maybe a metabolic circuit? I like this one http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/training/get_off_the_treadmill_and_get_metabolic
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Without knowing the specifics about you, meaning I'm not sure if this would be appropriate for you or your goals, my favorite split is this:

Day 1: Upper (heavy horizontal / light pull)

Day 2: Lower (heavy quad / light ham and glute)

Day 3: Upper (heavy vertical / light horizontal)

Day 4: Lower (heavy ham and glute / light quad)

To give examples of exercises for each:

Horizontal Push = BB bench press at varying angles, DB bench press at varying angles, pushups (regular, suspended, band resisted, etc), floor press with BB or DB, flys, etc

Horizontal Pull = Cable Rows, BB rows, Pendlay rows, DB Rows (single arm, double arm, head supported, etc), face pulls, rear delt flys, chest supported rows, inverted rows, etc.

Vertical Push = DB or BB overhead presses, push presses, lateral or front raises, bradford presses, etc.

Vertical Pull = Cable Pulldowns, Pull/chin ups (free, with machine assistance, with bands), straight arm pulldowns, etc

Quad dominant = BB Squats, goblet squats, lunge variations, box squats, leg press with feet low, bulgarian split squats, etc.

Glute/ham dominant = Deadlift variations, pullthroughs, BB hip thrusts, romanian deadlifts, step ups, SHELCs, rack pulls, etc

Reps matter little relative to progressive overload, meaning you want to be progressively doing more work over time. But in very general terms, 25-50 reps per large bodypart and 20-30 per small part at a frequency of twice/week is about the optimal range in general for growth, assuming the other factors like calories, progressive overload, etc.

Reps per set in the 1-12 range or thereabouts for various reasons concerning motor unit recruitment, time under tension, etc.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Have you tried 21s?

I have never even heard of 21s. It's something to try.

I'll have to check out the websites and magazines...not normally a magazine person but if it's worth it...

A lot of the magazines, if you just register online, you can get all the info there without paying the magazine subscription fees. Plus they will send newsletters to your email with hints and tips if you'd like.

I checked out the metabolic circuit another poster mentioned. I am so doing it!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Metabolic circuits are great for conditioning, caloric expenditure, etc. Not so great if you're looking to maximize muscle mass if used without other forms of resistance training.