Really fast weight loss...

Options
uneik3
uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone out there has the same issue that I do. I tend to lose weight really quickly the first week when I start watching what I'm eating. I'll drop anywhere from 7-12 lbs with minimal effort, which I'm sure is largely water weight. But then my weight just sits there. This time (by the way, I hate that that's a phrase I have to use), I lost 7 lbs in a week a month ago, and then nothing! I haven't gained, but I also haven't lost an ounce for the last month. While I realize it's just a month, and I'm sure I put on some muscle, it can be a little frustrating to go from such a great motivator to hitting a wall so quickly. Does this happen to any of you out there? And how long does it take you to break through? It seems a little strange to call it a plateau after just a month. I'm 29 and 5'6" with about 40 lbs to drop. I've been at about 1500-1600 calories, working out 3-4 days a week running and lifting, and drinking water like a fish. Obviously if I keep at it, it has to budge eventually, but please tell me I'm not the only one out there. Thanks!

Replies

• SoullessGinger1
    SoullessGinger1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it is typical to lose a bunch pounds the first week and then see weight loss slow down dramatically. It's mostly water like you said and is my usual expectation. Next to lose is the fat which doesn't drop off like the water.

For myself what I have done in the past with success is if after 2 or 3 weeks I am not losing at least 1 pound a week, then I re-evaluate my numbers, calories, fats, protein and carbs. Look at my calorie deficit and make changes.

My belief is that exercise is very important but the diet is much more so. Reason being is that it takes far more effort to burn off several hundred calories while it is so easy to eat them.