"starvation" mode

Options
Why is it so bad? It seems to work on the tv show survivor? same for people trapped in their car for a week or whatever.....

so why is it so "terrible"?

Replies

• ChloeAtianna
    Options
    It puts a strain on your body and it makes it way easier to gain back once you stop it, it sucks tho, I wish I could do it just once to get all the weight off i need to then never do it again lol!
  • kerrieanne1976
    Options
    Because you body doesn't get the nutrients it needs, plus all the weight u loss will come straight back when you start eating again. I suffered from anorexia in my later twenties, and no have no back teeth as the disease rotted them all, please be careful, it is a disease and its not pleasant.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Problems with extremely low calorie intake (most of this stuff doesn't happen right away, but later down the road...its kind of like how some smokers end up with emphysema or lung cancer and some don't):

- Malnutrition

"Inadequate caloric intake can lead to malnutrition over time. According to MedlinePlus, malnutrition occurs when the diet does not allow the intake of a sufficient amount of nutrients. A diet with extremely low calories does not allow for adequate consumption of the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants the body needs to perform its daily life processes. Vitamin deficiencies can lead to various problems, including fatigue, impaired wound healing and extreme weight loss." *1*

- Slower Metabolism (takes a while, but does happen)

"Metabolism is the rate at which the body burns fuel for energy. The basal metabolic rate is the minimum number of calories necessary to perform daily basic functions such as breathing, growth, cellular repair and digestion, according to MayoClinic.com. When calories are restricted over a long period of time, the body will compensate by holding on to the few calories that are consumed. Instead of burning calories freely, the body will perform basic life processes more slowly to conserve fuel. This can actually lead to weight gain." *1*

- Physical Changes

"A decrease in caloric intake may cause positive physical changes at first, especially in individuals with extra weight to lose. However, an extreme decrease in caloric intake can cause negative physical changes over time. Once individuals lose excess weight, calorie restriction can cause various physical problems. The Calorie Restriction Society indicates that decreasing daily calories too much can lead to reduced bone mass, fatigue, sensitivity to cold temperatures and food obsession due to extreme hunger. The CRS recommends gradual calorie reduction over a period of at least six months to avoid some of the side effects of low caloric intake." *1*

-Side Effects:

"Let’s look at some of the uncomfortable side effects of very low calorie diets:

Dry mouth
    Headache
    Dizziness
    Fatigue and weakness
    Cold intolerance
    Dry skin and nails
    Menstrual irregularities in women
    Hair loss
    Constipation/diarrhoea
    Irritability and confusion
    Inability to concentrate
    Muscle breakdown
    Problems with nerve and muscle function due to an imbalance in minerals and electrolytes
    Conditions such as osteoporosis, anaemia, gout, gallstones, clinical depression, heart problems, renal failure, and liver disease" *2*

References:
    *1*
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/277053-what-are-the-dangers-of-low-caloric-intake/
    *2*
    http://www.dietriffic.com/2009/05/14/very-low-calorie-diet/
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by starvation mode?
  • rob_base
    rob_base Posts: 97
    Options
    but like I said it seems to work on the TV show "survivor".....I didn't see them "gaining" weight
  • miissnessa
    miissnessa Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's not good for your body. If you're eating less then 1200 calories a day, it's unhealthy. It really affects your metabolism.
  • AnnInTexas
    AnnInTexas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was put on a VLC by a weight loss doctor awhile back. I can tell you yes, you can lose as much as 6-7 pounds a week... but I definitely had some of these side effects:

Dry mouth
    Headache
    Dizziness
    Fatigue and weakness
    Dry skin and nails
    Hair loss
    Irritability and confusion
    Inability to concentrate

And those were just the things I could see or feel. No telling what happened on the inside!

Definitely not worth it -- now I'm back on the 1200 calorie a day plan - which in itself is pretty low. But it's working for me and frankly, I believe it works waaaay better in the long run.

Ann
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    but like I said it seems to work on the TV show "survivor".....I didn't see them "gaining" weight

and like I said

"most of this stuff doesn't happen right away, but later down the road...its kind of like how some smokers end up with emphysema or lung cancer and some don't"

In other words, months or years and it may or may not happen.

The are other more serious problems caused as well.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    the big misconception on this site is that starvation mode stops weight loss.

In fact, it does not. It SLOWS the ability to lose weight by changing how your body uses energy by shutting down/slowing certain processes. Stopping/slowing these processes is not the healthiest thing to do, but from your body's point of view, its better than dying and from a survival standpoint, it give you extra time to find a food source.

Understand, that under NO circumstances can you NOT lose weight if you are truly in a caloric deficit. Unfortunately, the only thing we can do is estimate activity levels and food intake, so those are hard to measure.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

The show is not reality.

Reality is when you turn off the TV.
  • NotMika
    NotMika Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    First of all: you're still watching Survivor? That is very retro.

Second: The last time I watched Survivor, which was the Australia one back when I was in Middle School, I noticed that everyone loses weight on the show, but then at the finale they've all GAINED a bunch of weight. So yes, their bodies went into starvation mode, they lost weight (and some hair, if I remember clearly) but then as soon as they started eating again their bodies were like "SWEET! FAT! DELICIOUS FAT I'M NEVER LETTING THIS GO AGAIN"

It's science.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

You can really see it during the last episode when they announce the winner. Some of them chunk out pretty fast after they come back to the real world and can eat anything they want.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    [/quote]The show is not reality.

Reality is when you turn off the TV.
    [/quote]

Brilliant
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

What you don't see is that the participants are given as much water and sunblock as they need, as well as getting regular meals despite what you see on TV. Surprising but reality shows have no actual relation to real life.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Remember, if you are not getting the proper nutition to support the critical systems of the body, your body will start breaking down your lean body mass. This leads to skinny-fat where you hit your weight, but you still have a lot of fat on your body. You can do a VLC diet IF it is properly balanced. I was speaking to a woman who fasted for the week, and then ate on the weekends, she started gaining weight because her body started holding on to everything she ate to get through the lean times.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Why is it so bad? It seems to work on the tv show survivor? same for people trapped in their car for a week or whatever.....

so why is it so "terrible"?

Lock yourself in your car for a week or two and let us know if you still think it's a good idea. We'll wait...
  • fakeuntilumakeit
    Options
    Question regarding what calorie intake or lack of it counts as starvation mode????? Currently struggling on 1200 as recommended by this site 5 ft 7 fairly active, usually exercise at least 4/5 times a week and eat back calories. Current weight 141llb so not tiny, and within bmi. Period stopped. Not pregnant! Think about food constantly and very grouchy, someone please tell me u can eat more without having to exercise more.
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    I can't seem to take this one seriously. :laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Walking off a cliff without falling also works on TV.
    wile_e__coyote_and_road_runner_by_fabulousespg-d39luwo.jpg?w=500&__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1357138598833
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is bs. the logic behind it doesnt even make sense. the idea is that your body will hold on to fat reserves, which may be true, but even if it is true, the body wont do that for long.