Whey Protein

Options
vicidoesstuff
vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
When I get back to my house (I'm staying with my Mum at the moment because it's summer and because I caaan :P) in about a week and a half, I'm gonna get on and do the 30 Day Shred again (hopefully). I'm thinking about perhaps buying some whey protein so I can have that after every workout.

What are your experiences with it? Which one is the best to buy, and where from? I'm in the UK, so please don't tell me about some shop in the US. Online would be good... or in a UK supermarket (Sainsburys and Aldi are the nearest to me... I could venture to Tesco but that's more difficult). And do you guys just use it as written - mixing it with water/milk and drinking like that.. or do you prefer to do it your own way and add it to a milkshake or something? And does it count as half a meal, a full meal or a snack?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have some I will take after an intense workout, you get a mixing bottle and mix it with water.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I basically tried to ask this question last night. I'm interested in what suggestions are given to you as only one or two people had anything really helpful to say. :-)
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you do a search on the community boards you may find the answer to your questions. I searched yesterday and they have plenty of answers!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Scnartist - I just posted on your topic. I use Pure Protein 100% whey in chocolate (I bought it from Target so I'm not sure if it's just a Target brand or what). Just look for something low-calorie...a good one should be around 100-150 and shouldn't have much sugar in it. I started off just mixing with milk because I didn't have a blender. Now I do milk and PB or fruit. Sometimes ice cream if I have extra calories and need to get rid of the ice cream in the freezer! (Thank God it's gone, lol!)

I definitely like it. It helps with the soreness and helps me get closer to my high (30%) protein goal everyday (though most days I don't reach it but I'm working on it!) and as long as I stay in my calorie intake for the day and stay away from sodium, I still lose.

Don't believe the myth that you'll gain by drinking protein shakes. Protein is just like anything else - calories. Stay within your calorie goal for the day and you'll be fine.
  • BethTucker
    BethTucker Posts: 21
    Options
    I mix mine with Almond Milk and just shake it up . I have one when I wake up and after I work out because I eat very little animal protein.

Try bodybuilding.com. They have all kinds and you can sort through by what your needs are. For example if you don't want artificial sweeteners you can sort those out. They also rate them and you can sort by price.

Hope that helps.
  • russ1220
    russ1220 Posts: 58
    Options
    I use Gold Standard- Vanilla Ice Cream. I blend it with low fat milk, 1/2 banana, and 1 scoop and you can't tell protein even in it. I first tried it with almond milk no banana and no blend, that wasn't good at all. Yes, it's also been said to just mix in water but I haven't tried that yet.
  • gvcgoldmedal
    Options
    Whey Protein is intended for post workout. It is truly the best protein product. I mix it with mix and I swear by Optimum Nutrition's (ON) Gold Standard Whey. Its relatively cheap (compared to other products) and does the trick. If you are looking for a meal replacement you might look into Casein Protein. Its a different type of protein that releases slowly over about a 6 hour period. I use it in the mornings with a piece of fruit and it holds easily till lunch. ON has a good Casein as well. Its incredibly popular on this side of the pond so I assume you can find it in the UK.

Both are low-calorie and low-sugar. I think those are your best bet.

-Matt
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    After a very intense workout ( 1 1/2 hours plus) I like to make a smoothie with my whey protein. I throw in all kinds of berries and a banana, a scoop of vanilla whey protein and some skim milk. That way, I get protein, potassium, calcium and all the goodies from the berries. Since I work out in the morning, I make that my breakfast
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been using this for a couple of weeks now. I have it post-workout (within 45 mins is what my trainer recommends). I tried it just with water and it was terrible. I prefer it with milk or soy milk (plain) and frozen berries. I have to use the blender on mine, otherwise it clumps and that is not good! Ick. If it's around a meal time, I mix in a container of greek yogurt (plain). That fills me just fine for many hours! Plus, the yogurt almost doubles the protein count!
  • Bighank7752
    Options
    I use Unjury... You can find it at Unjury.com. I get the chocolate and mix it with frozen fruit and milk.

Harold